What is a viable work-from-home job?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2020, 6:40 pm

I can't handle a job away from home (unless the workplace is extremely close) because commuting is very overstimulating, regardless of whether I drive, walk, bike, or take public transportation.

I was a freelance editor for a few years, but I couldn't handle the stress of self-employment and continually having new clients, new projects, and new job requirements. I didn't earn much money and I was completely dependent on an online freelancing platform to find new clients.

I can't do any work involving the phone because I have auditory processing issues.

So what else could I do for a job?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Wales,UK Relationship: Single Interests: Trains AgeGroup: 40's FavouriteColor: Green Music: CyndiLauper Pets: Cats and Ducks

14 Nov 2020, 7:24 pm

Artist?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Wales,UK Relationship: Single Interests: Trains AgeGroup: 40's FavouriteColor: Green Music: CyndiLauper Pets: Cats and Ducks

14 Nov 2020, 7:25 pm

Thinking...

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2020, 7:26 pm

What are you like with making things to sell?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2020, 7:47 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
What are you like with making things to sell?

Like crafts? I don't know how to make any.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2020, 8:18 pm

Any option to work with your hobbies?

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 6:31 pm

Have you checked out Auticon: https://auticon.us/

It is an IT consulting firm that hires 100% autistic employees.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 8:58 am

Medical transcription

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 10:16 am

Do you know any other languages than English well? If yes, then maybe you could try to make a career in translating stuff?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 11:54 am

Not sure how 'viable' it is but I signed up on Rev.com, its a captioning site anyone can sign up for but you have to pass their test to get accepted. Its not like good pay, but if you do it enough you can make a bit of money. I wanted more money than I am making now with 5 hours of work a week so figured I'd give it a go. I passed apparently but there is a waiting list so may be a while before I can actually get started.

I know it is legitimate in that its not a scam and you can make money, but not sure its something one could make a living on by itself. At least not from there, maybe if from there they go on to like become a professional captioner or something.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 8:38 pm

I can't do anything that involves a lot of listening! Because auditory processing. So no captioning or medical transcription.

Chachi11
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Nov 2020, 10:13 pm

Since you live in a state in which it is totally legal to grow 6 plants of marijuana in your home, I suggest you research how to grow indoors. It is stinky & gross in that way (in my opinion) but if you can overcome that aspect, you can turn over a crop rapidly all year round and sell to legal establishments. You can even learn to bake weed-y stuff- brownies etc.-for sick people & clubs also buy baked goods. All sales can be arranged over the phone. Interaction could be once every 6 to 8 weeks with 1 shop.

Any aspect you are unfamiliar with you can learn on youtube. Anything you need to buy for it you can buy from craigslist used.

That is my suggestion for almost never leaving the house unless you want to, but still making good money. But you won't have medical or dental. So maybe you could do this and something else too.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2020, 3:06 am

Chachi11 wrote:
Since you live in a state in which it is totally legal to grow 6 plants of marijuana in your home, I suggest you research how to grow indoors.

I think only people with licenses can do that. I don't want to contribute to marijuana consumption anyways.
Quote:
That is my suggestion for almost never leaving the house unless you want to, but still making good money. But you won't have medical or dental. So maybe you could do this and something else too.
I can leave the house just fine; I just can't be away from home for hours. And I get free medical and dental care, so I'm not worried about those.

DoniiMann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2020, 3:17 pm

You write well, so maybe consider becoming an author. Apparently romantic fiction is a viable career option, but with so many genres to choose from in fiction and non fiction, you may find something to suit. And there are more paying options than just books. Blogging, articles, competitions, short courses...

Find your niche, do some research and short courses. You may end up building an entire career from your keyboard.

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2020, 9:38 pm

I'm training to do medical coding after I finish my associate's degree. I was drawn to the field after I went to my advisor at school and basically just asked "What field can I go into where I can work from home?" and I said that I am pretty good at memorizing things and I like working with numbers so she suggested it. After more investigation into programs and learning more about the job outlook (it's pretty promising in the US, at least), I decided it was a good idea. Also, the certification as well as my degree program is all 100% online courses.

Proofreading is also a good job where you can work from home, I don't know much about it. One of my aunts is investigating it as a job possibility however and her goal is to also work from home doing something that also can be done on your own schedule.

The idea of working from home honestly appeals to me more than anything. I can't picture myself going out and driving to and from a job and working in any place where I'm surrounded by people and chaos.

My Tumblr