Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Are you employed (assuming that you are 20+ years old and autistic)
I'm not autistic adult/show results 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'm autistic, have a college degree, and have a job 33%  33%  [ 13 ]
I'm autistic, have a college degree, and don't have a job 35%  35%  [ 14 ]
I'm autistic, don't have a college degree, and have a job 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
I'm autistic, don't have a college degree, and don't have a job 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
I'm autistic and retired 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 40

Throwawayacccounts
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Dec 2020, 12:04 am

Because of things, I figure it is worth making a poll. Note this is just for autistic adults only, and this is going to be separated by college graduated or not

For those of you who don't have a job, I would like to know what keeps you from being homeless, how long you haven't had a STABLE job, and your country (the country will tell us if you have access to proper benefits)

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2020, 6:28 pm

Throwawayacccounts wrote:
Because of things, I figure it is worth making a poll. Note this is just for autistic adults only, and this is going to be separated by college graduated or not

For those of you who don't have a job, I would like to know what keeps you from being homeless, how long you haven't had a STABLE job, and your country (the country will tell us if you have access to proper benefits)

I presently don't work as I'm planning to become a stay-at-home mom sometime next year. My husband has a full-time job and we have a mortgage, so no danger of homelessness. We live in the USA. In the past, I worked part and full-time in various capacities, usually as a substitute teacher or direct support professional. I last worked in 2019 and was full-time that year as a direct support professional.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 6:34 pm

I theoretically have a job, but for the last 9 months I've been involved in a contractual dispute with my employers. For the most part I've been unpaid and claiming benefits (Universal Credit, which isn't much). Recently I got so stressed out by it all that I got a Fitness to Work slip for anxiety and depression, which means I'm now getting Statutory Sick Pay from work, plus reduced Universal Credit. I presume the SSP only lasts for so long, and prolonged ill-health might be used as an excuse to sack me. Though as I'm largely ill due to their messing around, that could end up in Court.

Fun times.

It basically means I've got next to no money and I'm getting constant flak from both DWP and work.

Steffipanda
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2020, 6:46 pm

Currently in college (history major). No job.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 7:04 pm

I’m in the United States, on SSI and also living with my parents, have never had a job I could support myself on (have had 2 part-time cleaning positions, that’s it).

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 7:08 pm

My stipend contract ended 5 days ago so I'm between finishing school and finding a job at this point. No luck so far and hiring freeze is already causing problems to that end. Should qualify for unemployment though. :|

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 7:16 pm

I've been steadily employed for the past 15 years. I had a few months unemployed before that. I have no post-secondary education.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 7:17 pm

What about those of us who are on the list to be assessed?

Throwawayacccounts
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Dec 2020, 11:12 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
What about those of us who are on the list to be assessed?

You can change your vote, but this is unscientific and just out there. I asked on Reddit autism page and 160 voted. It's about 60% likely of being unemployed and if you're educated then it's close to half.

But this was posted the same time as this and it doesn't given enough info. Like if it was scientific I would also push for age groups and how long is someone able to keep their job on average. Also income level.

I mostly posted it in both places to figure out if I'm in an uncommon area (educated and unemployed). Also if anyone knows of anything better than SSDI and SSI in the USA.
https://www.reddit.com/r/autism/comment ... urce=share

traven
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2020, 1:59 am

well, i don't know what i am but never had much if a job
:mrgreen:

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2020, 2:32 am

Throwawayacccounts wrote:

Social Security Disability and subsidized housing have kept me from being homeless for the last decade plus a bit.

Was homeless twice before in previous decades and would really rather not be again.

Has been over 15 years since I've had a stable job.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2020, 5:10 am

I'm unemployed and living in the US. I've never worked for more than a few months at a time, so I've never really had a stable job. Some jobs could have been stable, but I quit, almost always due to stress.

I have a housing voucher and $142/month I get through veteran's benefits (I got kicked out of the military very early, so that wasn't really a stable job either).

I have been homeless three times in adulthood. Vet benefits were the only thing that helped get me back into housing.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2020, 5:59 am

I've worked most of my life.
Definitely helped by having a university degree.

My first job was a bit of a disaster, but I managed better on the second.
Twice I've got past the 2-3-year burn-out zone and reached a place of relative stability. (Though in between these I've had to leave jobs from stress and had a period of unemployment).

Working short hours helps. At the moment I'm hanging in there on a 9-day fortnight. If I work longer days I can take another day off and make it a 4-day week, which works well for me.

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

06 Dec 2020, 10:20 pm

I am retired. I got into computers in the 1980s and was able to stick with it thru several contiguous jobs til I could retire. I got a masters degree while I was in the military (1970s) but its not computer related at all. So I was basically under-employed the whole time. But it matters not at this point.

Traven: Don't knock it. Looks like you are in a leadership position with a LOT of underlings!

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.

Lizbeth Ann
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Dec 2020, 8:55 pm

- For those of you who don't have a job, I would like to know what keeps you from being homeless,

I'm married, and my husband and I own a house.

- how long you haven't had a STABLE job,
It's been three years since I've had a stable job. In the past, I've held on to positions for 1-2 years. I just pile through the social difficulty; eventually, I burnout and give a socially acceptable reason why I can't work anymore. Yep, that's the cycle.

- your country (the country will tell us if you have access to proper benefits)
The USA
No, I have no access to appropriate benefits.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2020, 10:50 pm

Lizbeth Ann wrote:
It's been three years since I've had a stable job. In the past, I've held on to positions for 1-2 years. I just pile through the social difficulty; eventually, I burnout and give a socially acceptable reason why I can't work anymore. Yep, that's the cycle.

That's my normal pattern as well.

In the UK we get Universal Credit, but it isn't really enough to live on, and the Department of Work and Pensions make your life hell while you're claiming. It is sometimes borderline whether I'd rather sort out another dispute / "accidental" error on their part, or just sleep in a bus shelter and take my chances on freezing. They have no idea about mental health issues at all, and put us under constant pressure to give up and not claim.