Would I be happy as a carpenter than a bookstore salesman ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

chris1989
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 2 Aug 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 365
Location: Kent, UK

19 Mar 2021, 4:23 pm

I do sometimes look at the work I do now as a sales assistant in a retail book store and then look at what my dad does carpentry and joinery and think ''yeah maybe it is a better job but I chose not to follow him because I didn't want to do work that he does.'' I seem to think that doing a job like that would make you happier as though it land with a nice house to live on your own, attract a girl and so on. It does sound absurd and untrue but that's what I think. My dad has done that work because my grandad did as well, he was carpenter and joiner but he was in the army and worked in the docks as did my other grandad and even an uncle who now lives in Australia, who did an apprenticeship in the Docks as a shipwright from 1948 to 1952. I feel there were few jobs around in those days apart from those jobs and work in the docks stopped in the 1980s because maybe a lot of men were choosing not to do those jobs. I seem to feel like I envy them but I don't really because as I said I just chose not to, instead I went to college and uni doing, I suppose a similar creative form of work, doing art and design but it didn't land me a job in that field apart from when I was suggested a graphic design job of which I had no qualifications for and didn't do it and so I was in a state of limbo going to employment courses and job interviews for a few years until I got the job I am doing now and still don't own a house or is in a relationship with someone and I seem to feel at times like I'm the only one.



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,769
Location: I'm right here

19 Mar 2021, 4:28 pm

Carpenter can open up all sorts of opportunities. Jesus was a carpenter and look where it got him. <cue cutaway gag>



Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,734
Location: Wales,UK Relationship: Single Interests: Trains AgeGroup: 40's FavouriteColor: Green Music: CyndiLauper Pets: Cats and Ducks

19 Mar 2021, 5:11 pm

My Dad was one. He was a carpenter machinist which is a step up from a joiner as they had to learn the trade as a carpenter joiner first and then progress up to be a carpenter machinist. When he met other carpenter machinists they always used to show each orher their fingefs, as many had lost a finger or two and my Dad was one of the few carpenter machinists to do his trade and still retain all his fingers!
The reason why I did not go into the trade was that I don't like heights. My Dad often went up real high as part of his job. Not for me!


_________________
Awaiting asessment. Neurodiverse 173/200. Neurotypical 21/200. Empathy 11/80. AQ 39.
Shutdown link: --》 Music I love: --》
Shutdown Experience similar to mine: --》


Raederle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 28 Mar 2021
Age: 32
Posts: 33
Location: Ithaca, NY

29 Mar 2021, 10:07 am

I suggest that you explore what you like and dislike in great depth. Explore what you're talented at. I found the book "First, Break All the Rules," a fantastic book for opening my eyes to world of employment opportunities and assessing your own talents and what sort of job would be excellent for you.

I also have benefited immensely from all of Teal Swan's videos about how to figure out what you want. Her entire "Ask Teal" series is great, and she has a lot of content about following your inner compass and figuring out what you really enjoy.

Limiting yourself to this one job-versus-job comparison probably will prevent you from thinking about what's really important about your skills and your desires.


_________________
— Raederle Phoenix
The Consciousness Alchemist
www.Raederle.com

Raederle is pronounced: Ray-der-lee


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 75,850
Location: Queens, NYC

29 Mar 2021, 10:18 am

If I were a carpenter....and you were a lady....



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 48,887
Location: Stendec

29 Mar 2021, 10:20 am

I would rather be a hammer than a nail...


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


mohsart
Toucan
Toucan

Joined: 25 Feb 2020
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 253
Location: Southern Sweden

29 Mar 2021, 4:11 pm

Fnord wrote:
I would rather be a hammer than a nail...

Funny, yes. But what did you say? You'd rather be the one hurting than the one being hurt.
I'm not sure I could subscribe to that.
I could definitley make the same joke, but I'd attach some kind of smiley to it to show I wasn't serious.
Just my thoughts.

/Mats


_________________
Gonna eat some worms


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 48,887
Location: Stendec

29 Mar 2021, 4:35 pm

mohsart wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I would rather be a hammer than a nail...

Funny, yes. But what did you say? You'd rather be the one hurting than the one being hurt...
Wrong, again!

In addition to the obscure song reference, it means that I would rather be the one doing the work.


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 20,119
Location: South-East England

29 Mar 2021, 9:26 pm

Don't be so hard on yourself just because you work in a bookstore. In fact I think that's a pretty cool job.
I've always been in cleaning jobs, but the cleaning job I'm in now is at a bus warehouse and I like it.
For some weird reason saying to people that I am a cleaner at a bus warehouse/depot sounds more ambitious than saying that I'm, say, a cleaner at a hospital (I'm not running people down who clean at hospitals, I'm just speaking in context).
Same with a bookstore. Saying "I work at Waterstones/WHSmiths/some other bookstore" sounds more interesting than saying "I work in a supermarket". Maybe because cleaning at a hospital or being a shop assistant in a supermarket sound quite standard and mundane, whilst cleaning in a bus depot or being a shop assistant at a bookstore sounds more interesting and different. Do you see what I mean?


_________________
Female
Aged 31
On antidepressants
Have ASD, ADHD and anxiety disorder
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)


Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Sep 2018
Age: 62
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,706
Location: New York City (Queens)

30 Mar 2021, 2:44 pm

chris1989 wrote:
I suppose a similar creative form of work, doing art and design but it didn't land me a job in that field apart from when I was suggested a graphic design job of which I had no qualifications for and didn't do it and so I was in a state of limbo going to employment courses and job interviews for a few years until I got the job I am doing now and still don't own a house or is in a relationship with someone and I seem to feel at times like I'm the only one.

What would it take for you to learn graphic design? Given your art background, it should be relatively easy to learn?


_________________
- Autistic in NYC - Resources and new ideas for the autistic adult community in the New York City metro area.
- Autistic peer-led groups (via text-based chat, currently) led or facilitated by members of the Autistic Peer Leadership Group.
- Longterm visions for the autistic community


DoniiMann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2010
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 343
Location: Tasmania

30 Mar 2021, 3:01 pm

I knew a doctor whose hobby was building fine furniture. Not only was he making good money as a doctor, but he'd get offered $10 000 for items of furniture.

With your art background and access to carpentry expertise and possibly tools and books, maybe learn to build furniture with old hand tools (an extra sales point). Quiet, less messy than power tools, more aesthetically pleasing, and endless hours of exploring old wood working techniques or cultural variations (Japanese techniques and tools look interesting).


_________________
assumption makes an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'mption'.


chris1989
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 2 Aug 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 365
Location: Kent, UK

03 Apr 2021, 12:03 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
chris1989 wrote:
I suppose a similar creative form of work, doing art and design but it didn't land me a job in that field apart from when I was suggested a graphic design job of which I had no qualifications for and didn't do it and so I was in a state of limbo going to employment courses and job interviews for a few years until I got the job I am doing now and still don't own a house or is in a relationship with someone and I seem to feel at times like I'm the only one.

What would it take for you to learn graphic design? Given your art background, it should be relatively easy to learn?


I think they would prefer to have someone who had previous experience and qualifications in that field whereas I didn't, I did art mostly with my hands using paint.



nomad48
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 13 Nov 2020
Age: 48
Posts: 54
Location: Arizona

08 Apr 2021, 11:19 pm

with all my allergies and below average motor skills, I never considered carpentry.



DesertWoman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2020
Gender: Female
Posts: 127
Location: Las Vegas, NV

22 Apr 2021, 5:08 pm

It's usually easier for autistic people to work independently. I've always ran into trouble when I had to deal with complex social situations. You have to understand what is expected of you in the situation. Different jobs require different behaviors, and people expect you to act accordingly. Autism is not understood well enough yet for the world to just acknowledge and deal with it. I got some wonderful jobs and lost them because I'm autistic.

I was able to substitute teach for years, with few issues. But I wanted more. And when I tried to work as a full-time teacher, the I had the same challenges I had in office work. People expected me to understand certain social stuff, like letting other people lead, and I was adamant about just getting the job done the way I was trained to do it. Success in the workplace is based on conformity, and that's the bottom line.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 75,850
Location: Queens, NYC

24 Apr 2021, 7:02 am

Are you excellent with your hands?

Do you fix things around the house?

Do you enjoy watching DIY shows?