The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 3:12 am

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 8:22 am

Yeah ... that will definitely help ... a motivational poster with a long-winded description of an alternate reality.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 8:35 am

Yeah right...a justification for slacking off!

moocow.bovine
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 May 2021, 9:40 am

"police police police police" ... or something to that effect https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_l ... _ambiguity

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 May 2021, 9:48 am

Who wanted to slack off for life in their childhood dreams?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 10:04 am

magz wrote:
Who wanted to slack off for life in their childhood dreams?

:bounce: I do! :bounce: I do! :bounce: I do! :bounce: I do! :bounce: I do! :bounce: I do! :bounce: I do! :bounce: I do!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 10:38 am

Guy died in 1983. My best guess is he was a successful, iconoclast inventer in the mold of Elon Musk, who generalized that fact to believe he was qualified to talk (or blather) on any subject.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 8:59 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yeah right...a justification for slacking off!

Time to kick back with a book, *yawn* :oops:

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 10:22 am

BeaArthur wrote:
Guy died in 1983. My best guess is he was a successful, iconoclast inventer in the mold of Elon Musk, who generalized that fact to believe he was qualified to talk (or blather) on any subject.

until you can be more specific on what he is 'blathering about' due to his generalized belief, my guess is you are projecting.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 10:56 am

Nice try, but not projecting. I've known many brilliant iconoclasts. They start believing their own reputation. Nobody is a genius in every sphere, but a lot of these people think they're the exception to that rule.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 3:11 pm

generalizing then. Say hi to malthus

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 3:57 pm

Buckminster Fuller was the grandfather of modern geodesics, and he's a hell of a lot smarter than anyone on this forum. Somma y'all don't even seem to know who he is, yet y'all feel totally confident with the trash talk.

He's not implying that everyone should be free to play like little kids and nobody has to grow up. He's implying that if we didn't have a boot on our necks demanding that we have to slave for 40 hours a week in order to earn the right to not-die, we'd have a lot more time and resources to try new ideas, invent new technology, learn new concepts, and possibly make the world a much better place, much faster.

For some reason, people are obsessed with the idea that if you don't FORCE people to work, they'll default to full tilt lazy and nothing will ever get done. Oh, and naturally everyone is lazy - except for them, of course.

It's really amazing that people seem to think that there are only two categories of effort - "working hard" and "slacking off" - and that the consequences of these two categories are absolute - "if you work hard, you get rewarded, if you slack off, you don't get anything" - which is one of the biggest lies I have ever heard, and completely ignores the existence of things like exploitation, and favoritism.

You don't have to be a "brilliant iconoclast" to buy into your own nonsense. Plenty of people on here are convinced they are right, and believe their own hype.

It's also kinda funny, someone saying "nobody is a genius in every sphere", since Fuller's work mostly involved spheres.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 4:38 pm

Just because I found it interesting to think about for a bit (though I’m fully aware that my lack of experience and tendency to assume that other people think about things logically (and yes, I do remember the middle part of my signature :wink: ) may mean I’m miles off)...

I would guess that there would be a period where most people would slack off/laze around all day if work was not essentially mandatory to survive, but that once they got accustomed to the change, there would be a good number of people who would be perfectly happy going back to work, if it continued to not be mandatory so they didn’t feel like they have to do it.

It seems to me that it would make sense for there to be some jobs that need to be done, but there aren’t necessarily enough of those for everybody to do at least one. And it would make sense for there to be some sort of incentive offered to try to ensure that those necessary positions were filled. But it does not make sense to force everybody to work (if they want things like food and a warm, dry place to sleep every night) when there are not enough positions that aren’t just “make-work” for everybody.

Granted I know that not everybody feels happy and satisfied from knowing that they are helping other people, helping to keep society going, or are otherwise needed in some way, but I suspect that if given a long enough break from working, a significant number of people who didn’t like working before would find that they want some sort of purpose in life (beyond sitting on the couch watching TV or playing games on their phones all day). But I am well aware that it’s entirely possible that that is just me projecting.

I also know it’s quite possibly entirely unfeasible, that I have not considered many details at this point, and that there is a very good reason I do not and never should have any position of authority.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

diagnosedafter50
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2021, 4:46 pm

:heart:

The_Znof wrote:

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 4:55 pm

uncommondenominator wrote:

It's also kinda funny, someone saying "nobody is a genius in every sphere", since Fuller's work mostly involved spheres.

https://thereitis.org/tii-content/uploa ... rancis.jpgImage

Quote:
There are three existence spheres: the esthetic, the ethical, the religious.

The metaphysical is abstraction, and there is no human who exists metaphysically.

The metaphysical, the ontological, is, but it does not exist, for when it exists it does so in the esthetic, in the ethical, in the religious, and when it is, it is the abstraction from a prius [prior thing] to the esthetic, the ethical, the religious.

The ethical sphere is only a transition sphere, and therefore its highest expression is repentance as a negative action.

The esthetic sphere is the sphere of immediacy, the ethical the sphere of requirement (and this requirement is so infinite that the individual always goes bankrupt), the religious the sphere of fulfillment, but, please note, not a fulfillment such as when one fills an alms box or a sack of gold, for repentance has specifically created a boundless space, and as a consequence the religious contradiction: simultaneously to be out on 70,000 fathoms of water and yet be joyful.

Just as the ethical sphere is a passageway—which one nevertheless does not pass through once and for all—just as repentance is its expression, so repentance is the most dialectical

http://sorenkierkegaard.org/stages-on-lifes-way.html

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 5:49 pm

i put andrew yang in the same intellectual/philosophical neighborhood as fuller, even if they are in different fields. both were right about the exploitative nature of work as it is presently conceived and arranged.