Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Rocketv8
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Jul 2007, 1:30 am

I have worked with the disabled population for almost 9 years now (down syndrome, autism, etc). I finally earned my Masters and teaching credential and I also have AS.

This is the 2 year in a row that my teaching contract was not renewed. I have been trying to find another job in the teaching field. I was asked a few years ago if I wanted to work for the Regional Center and I am seriously considering it.

I knew that there were a lot of politics in the school systems, but I didn't think it would affect job stability. Schools are concerned with money and test scores. I have become so frustrated. Only a few close family members know I have AS. I am able to function well in society, but no teaching offers is driving me crazy. I can't help but dwell on it constantly. I have a difficult time falling and staying asleep.

I just had to vent.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2007, 2:50 am

I've had lots of contracts (short-term) and the people never rehired me, often hiring someone with less experience who was more normal.
Did they tell you why your contract wasn't renewed? Maybe you could ask them; there might be a reason you don't know about.

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2007, 5:53 am

Are there any organisations in your area that give employment support to people with AS?

I use an organisation in the UK who help people with mental heath issues and ASDs and they have been very helpful in assisting me to find work and to retain work and also with speaking with unreasonable and discriminatory employers, and asking for constructive feedback when I get rejected.

Perhaps such an organisation might be of use to you?

Good luck!

Rocketv8
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jul 2007, 3:26 am

Since I am a teacher, I keep my aspie diagnosis a secret. I am able to blend in with NTs fairly well but I struggle with not knowing where or when I will teach again. I hate not having that routine in my life. I am looking at other career options though. It's sad because on one hand, all I ever hear is that there is a big need for special education teachers yet I have never had such a hard time getting a job. Southern California is getting overdeveloped and there are probably not enough jobs to go around.