What are some careers associated with the human voice?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 2:45 am

For a long time I've been unsure of what to do as a career. However, I've been thinking about it lately, and my special interest for a long time (since I was 12) has been singing, which at some point transitioned to me just being interested in the way the voice works in general (since that is important to understanding how it works for singing).

It isn't exactly easy to make money from singing unless you are amazing. I think I'm pretty good at it, and I keep getting better because I practice a lot, but even if I do become really great at it there is still no guarantee I will be able to do it as a job.

But even outside of singing, I am becoming increasingly interested in the way the voice works. So I figured if I never get to a point where a singing career is an option, I can always do something else, like be a speech therapist or something. So I wanted to figure out what kinds of careers are associated with the human voice. I'm sure there are probably a lot. Nothing really comes up if I just search my thread title in Google, so I was wondering if anyone had ideas (or perhaps has a career) like this that would give me somewhere to start.

- Sherlock Holmes

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 4:07 pm

You should look into speech pathology.

They'll teach you much about the mechanics of the voice.

You'd also be performing speech therapy and pragmatic therapy for people with Aspergers.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 6:57 pm

Well, there's voice acting--you could record radio ads, cartoon voice-overs, audiobooks, and the like. Also, if you can't sing well enough to do it professionally you could still be a singing teacher or a choir director.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 9:13 am

Mr Holmes:

If you like kids, and are interested in treating people with speech/language disorders, including those which have to do with Asperger's, I would get into the field of Speech Pathology. It pays fairly well, and there will be an enhanced need for speech/language pathologists over the coming years.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 9:32 am

I don't really know anything about the career, but, my youngest son started seeing a speech therapist about a year ago. I was so irritated with people treating him like he was stupid just because he didn't enunciate well.
His therapist was fantastic, though. I got to sit in on his first lesson to see how she approached him and some of the tools she used. Then, over the summer, when the district didn't provide therapy, we hired her for private lessons and I got to really appreciate how much she'd been able to help him progress. Amazing what a skilled person can do.
He's in kindergarten now, and while I don't think his school's assigned therapist is that great yet (it's her second year teaching), I still have great respect for her. Over the summer, I think we'll hire the first instructor again, just to keep him progressing.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 10:13 am

I got my Bachelor's in Speech Pathology--that's why I have a bit of knowledge of it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 10:30 am

You'll also gain at least some basic knowledge of neurology, including autistic neurology, should you pursue speech pathology.

Why not do some research on this? Give it a try?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 10:37 am

Ms Dorkness:

I was in speech therapy starting at age 5 (I didn't talk until then; my first word was "pig," and it was said to the speech therapist). Obviously, speech therapy was beneficial for me: now, I have to be told to shut up all the time! :wink:

Also: when I was older, at various times, I was in speech therapy for stuttering. I still have a mild-moderate stutter which gets worse when I have to give a speech.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 11:39 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Ms Dorkness:

I was in speech therapy starting at age 5 (I didn't talk until then; my first word was "pig," and it was said to the speech therapist). Obviously, speech therapy was beneficial for me: now, I have to be told to shut up all the time! :wink:

Also: when I was older, at various times, I was in speech therapy for stuttering. I still have a mild-moderate stutter which gets worse when I have to give a speech.

Interesting about your degree.

I was a late talker as well, as was my younger son, probably age 3 for me and 4 for him. ;) :lol: I say the same about him now, he never takes a breath.

My older son and I both did speech therapy from 1st-4th grade or so, but, I don't remember mine and never witnessed his, as he only had his during the school day. He was an early talker (before his 1st birthday), but, also had very mild problems with enunciation.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 11:44 am

Age 4 is actually considered quite late for the establishment of verbal speech. As I stated, I acquired it even later--at age 5 1/2.

You know what? I think I'm going to do some research on "late bloomers" and their relationship to autism/Asperger's.

One of the diagnostic criteria for DSM 4 Asperger's was that there not be a significant delay in the acquisition of speech. I find that to be quite erroneous, actually.

Have a lovely day, Miss Dorkness!

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 10:07 pm

I did a bit of research on it, it actually seems like something I'd really enjoy doing. I do like working with kids. I think I would especially like working with autistic kids.

I just need to find a place where I can get a master's in speech pathology. But I don't know, would I need a bachelor's in the same thing, or are there other similar majors that would prepare me for that? Because most of the places I looked at didn't have an actual speech pathology undergraduate program. I was looking at places near Youngstown, Ohio, considering that is close to where I will (hopefully) be moving soon.

On an unrelated note, I think my little brother is in speech therapy right now actually (he might also be autistic, considering his obvious sensory and communication issues, and meltdowns).

- Sherlock Holmes

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2014, 4:06 pm

I'm sure any major university has a speech pathology program. Or you could get your Associates, then go to a 4 year school. I think there's a "Youngstown State."

The Bachelors prepares you well for the Masters, IMHO.