Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 1:44 am

And also have you ever thought about joining a union. You would get represented by someone who would negotiate fair working standards and pay on your behalf.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 9:50 am

badRobot wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
From what I understood, sometimes her boss puts more people on one task than what it needs, and leaves a big task that could use extra hands to her on her own. This means that the big group doing the other task is having a way easier time than her for no other reason than to how the boss forms the teams, which is not fair if they're paid the same, which is the impression I got. Of course, if those other guys are paid less, then it makes sense for Joe to have harder and more time consuming tasks, in which case it is fair. And no, if she didn't know about it then it wouldn't feel unfair 'cause, like's been said, she wouldn't know about it. And you can't really compare the working conditions of two people doing the same jobs in the same place and some random person on a different job in a different place in the same way.

They have different tasks, she is the only one who isn't trained to do the other task, so it's impossible to compare these tasks directly. But if something requires additional training it should be paid better or take less time. She is paid to do the task she can do and she does it. How is that unfair?

She's the only one not qualified to do the other task, but everyone's qualified to do her task (and it's also part of their jobs from what I understood.) The task she can't do could be done with less people than it is done, while at the same time her task could use more people. Putting extra people on the other task while keeping her task understaffed makes it unfair because it makes it a lot easier for the others and harder for her. Adding one person from the other group to aid her would probably not even make that thing go slower since it had more people than needed to begin with, but it would make her task faster.

But in the light of what Joe just told us, the unfairness seems more like a result of bad planning than anything else.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 11:07 am

Fireblossom wrote:
badRobot wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
From what I understood, sometimes her boss puts more people on one task than what it needs, and leaves a big task that could use extra hands to her on her own. This means that the big group doing the other task is having a way easier time than her for no other reason than to how the boss forms the teams, which is not fair if they're paid the same, which is the impression I got. Of course, if those other guys are paid less, then it makes sense for Joe to have harder and more time consuming tasks, in which case it is fair. And no, if she didn't know about it then it wouldn't feel unfair 'cause, like's been said, she wouldn't know about it. And you can't really compare the working conditions of two people doing the same jobs in the same place and some random person on a different job in a different place in the same way.

They have different tasks, she is the only one who isn't trained to do the other task, so it's impossible to compare these tasks directly. But if something requires additional training it should be paid better or take less time. She is paid to do the task she can do and she does it. How is that unfair?

She's the only one not qualified to do the other task, but everyone's qualified to do her task (and it's also part of their jobs from what I understood.) The task she can't do could be done with less people than it is done, while at the same time her task could use more people. Putting extra people on the other task while keeping her task understaffed makes it unfair because it makes it a lot easier for the others and harder for her. Adding one person from the other group to aid her would probably not even make that thing go slower since it had more people than needed to begin with, but it would make her task faster.

But in the light of what Joe just told us, the unfairness seems more like a result of bad planning than anything else.

She is paid to do her work during her shift. She is doing it. This is pretty much the only thing that matters. If she would be forced to work extra hours without overtime payment, it would be unfair.

No one is interested in paying Joe90 for sitting there drinking tea with coworkers. Now that management is aware of this situation, it is a possibility it will be solved by firing 2-3 people, one of whom likely to be her, because she can't cover for trained coworker or increase of workload of their team.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 11:34 am

I doubt very much if she will be fired you toxic piece of s**t.

She does need a union to protect her from being taken advantage of though.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 11:59 am

babybird wrote:
I doubt very much if she will be fired you toxic piece of s**t.

babybird wrote:
Have you tried just not doing the job to completion? I know you may run the risk of losing your job or looking incompetent but they may also realise that you need a bit of help and they might get off their big fat lazy arses.

babybird wrote:
I can kind of see where you're coming from Jo. I worked with a lazy bastard where I worked before but I got off work early each day because I finished early. We both hated each other because I saw that he got away with doing f**k all and he saw that I got to go home early each day. There was such a failure on part of the management that the situation just became unbearable for everyone involved.

You are the one giving "helpful" advise to get her fired. You are the one who is not so subtly hinting Joe90 is a lazy bastard. Even though you pretend to be supportive, you are a real toxic enabler here.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 12:10 pm

^^Aw and how long did it take you to compile and edit that little lot then? Maybe you could do Jo's job. You seem smart enough.

Good luck Jo. If I've said anything negative or toxic or made you feel like s**t about your job then I do sincerely apologise. It was not my intention to do so.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 12:27 pm

babybird wrote:
^^Aw and how long did it take you to compile and edit that little lot then? Maybe you could do Jo's job. You seem smart enough.

Good luck Jo. If I've said anything negative or toxic or made you feel like s**t about your job then I do sincerely apologise. It was not my intention to do so.

Now you are using her job as an insult? Are you for real???

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 12:31 pm

I'm really sorry about all of this Jo.

Quote:

Pm me if you want to antagonise me. This is a closed subject as far as I am concerned. I will not be responding any more on this thread.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 12:50 pm

babybird wrote:
I'm really sorry about all of this Jo.

Quote:

Pm me if you want to antagonise me. This is a closed subject as far as I am concerned. I will not be responding any more on this thread.

Why would I do that? I'm here not to win an argument against a troll. I'm here to offer Joe90 alternative, more objective, perspective of this situation. Maybe it doesn't feel as "supportive" as your toxic BS, but it might actually help her to resolve it with better outcome.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 3:41 pm

Um... nobody is getting fired but the boss is aware and is willing to change a few things. He says it's not fair for me to be doing the work of 2 people, while there are 4 people doing the work of 2-3 people.

It's a laid-back place, people don't just get fired and I definitely won't. The trouble is, it's too laid back and I think the supervisor needs to be tough but fair, not soft and unfair.

But I suppose I should really say what the job actually is in this thread so that people know the details and why it's unfair, as most people assume you're working in an office or a factory. I work in a coach depot, where I clean coaches. The other 4 move and park the coaches up, and fill them up with fuel. It actually only requires 3 people at the most. Four people don't need to do it. Two of them are actually cleaners as well as shunters (they applied to be cleaners but can also move coaches because they previously came from another depot so were already trained and licensed to move coaches, where as I'm not). One of them should wash or sweep the coaches with me. I can't wash, sweep, mop and disinfect all of the coaches on my own, and I can't do overtime because it's night work and the depot shuts at a certain time. So many coaches aren't being washed or mopped because I don't have the time or the help. It's not my fault, I'm doing as much as I possibly can and it is definitely unfair that the others just sit in the warm when they have parked and fueled the coaches while there is still work for them to do and I'm still out there all on my own running around trying to complete all the cleaning the best I can.

I hope this settles this argument somehow created in this thread.
By the way where exactly did babybird hint that I was lazy? :?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 7:50 pm

Nowhere. I think somebody just wants to stir things up.

Jo is not drinking tea. She’s doing the work of more than one person, while certain other people are hanging out and drinking tea. She doesn’t think it’s fair…..and it isn’t fair.

It would be great if Jo’s workplace had a union (does it have a union?). If there’s no union, it would have to be organized, and it takes lots of courage to organize a union in a non-union shop.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 2:43 am

Joe90 wrote:
By the way where exactly did babybird hint that I was lazy? :?

babybird wrote:
I can kind of see where you're coming from Jo. I worked with a lazy bastard where I worked before but I got off work early each day because I finished early. We both hated each other because I saw that he got away with doing f**k all and he saw that I got to go home early each day. There was such a failure on part of the management that the situation just became unbearable for everyone involved.

The only analogy with your situation is one person works full time and another gets off early, by extensions she is implying you are the lazy bastard in your situation. This is the only reason why anyone would bring this up in this context.

Joe90, you have to understand, you are being paid for doing your job during your shift, drinking tea is not something management wants you to do. You are doing your job, that's the only thing that matters, that's fair.

First of all, when you bring up this situation to your boss, the last thing he will think, "Oh, poor, Joe90, I should hire two more people to help her, so she can enjoy drinking tea with her mates". The only thing he will see is 5 people getting paid for doing work 3 people can do.

Secondly, even if you feel this is not fair, this not how you should talk to your supervisors, this should be about work getting done, that you can't do all the cleaning alone, but this is a double-edged sword.

Thirdly, what would your coworkers say when confronted about this situation by your boss? WHAT IF, their reply would be "we work really well as a team, she has the easiest task, but still can't keep up, when we are trying to help her she is just holding all of us back, we don't want to do the lion share of both tasks, that's not fair".

Just take all perspectives into consideration. That's all.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 3:07 am

badRobot wrote:
She is paid to do her work during her shift. She is doing it. This is pretty much the only thing that matters. If she would be forced to work extra hours without overtime payment, it would be unfair.

No one is interested in paying Joe90 for sitting there drinking tea with coworkers. Now that management is aware of this situation, it is a possibility it will be solved by firing 2-3 people, one of whom likely to be her, because she can't cover for trained coworker or increase of workload of their team.

It's not fair in my opinion if she does what she gets paid for and others don't do so (as much) yet get paid anyway.

Anyway, the matter seems to be getting fixed, so all's good. Sorry for hijacking the thread, Joe!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 4:47 am

Joe90 wrote:
The others actually get paid more than me, because the task they do is paid a bit more than just cleaning, although 2 of them are supposed to be cleaners too.

But I found out today that someone else noticed that I was doing the most work and it actually got reported to the office, because 2 of the other 4 co-workers are contracted as cleaners as well as the other thing they do, and their job isn't just to do that one task but to also do cleaning too, and getting all the cleaning done can't be done by just one person. I only have time to do some cleaning, which means the floors don't get mopped - which is starting to notice.

The boss actually called me into his office to have a word with me, he said that is it wrong for the others to just sit for the last 2+ hours while I'm out there struggling to get all the cleaning done. I can kind of understand why they are avoiding doing the cleaning - it's because it makes them feel emasculated. They have never actually said this, but I can tell this is what the problem is. But even so, the boss still said that what's going on is still wrong and that the system needs to change. He said that we are all a team, and that 4 people don't need to do one task when one of those people could be cleaning with me. It's a job, I know cleaning is not everyone's thing but it is part of the job and is written in their contract. I'm glad the boss has noticed this.

Well will they do anything about it? but yeah that sounds super annoying also I don't know what peoples problem with cleaning is...like isn't it so much nicer when things are nice and clean? I just don't understand why some people want to live like they have to sleep in a garbage pile...even my boyfriend has those kind of messy tendencies...and like I just don't see how a person can be in that and not eventually get a crazy urge to clean it up. I swear if I didn't go out and clean my boyfriends car of the garbage from time to time I'd have no place to sit when we go places. I just donn't get how he does that and like doesn't get so annoyed by the crap hanging around in the car he doesn't clean it out himself. But yeah he doesnt care at all, it just bothers me so I clean it out....but i just don't understand how that garbage build up doesn't bother him like I cannot wrap my mind around how someone could see that clutter and not get angry at it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 6:35 am

Badrobot I think you were missing the point. Babybird said ''I know where you're coming from'' and said that they went through the same as I'm going through - working with lazy people. They were not implying that I was the lazy one.

Quote:
Joe90, you have to understand, you are being paid for doing your job during your shift, drinking tea is not something management wants you to do. You are doing your job, that's the only thing that matters, that's fair.

But...I don't sit around drinking tea. I never said that. I'm the one working and don't get time for a 10-minute break at all, while the others sit and drink tea and coffee for 2 hours or more, while they should be helping me. I'm a fast worker, but I am only one human, I can't get all the coaches clean on my own, which means the coaches aren't being washed because I don't have time. The others have plenty of time to wash the coaches when they've finished fueling and parking up, but they don't, they just sit around and do nothing when they're being paid and should be helping to keep the coaches clean.

Quote:
First of all, when you bring up this situation to your boss, the last thing he will think, "Oh, poor, Joe90, I should hire two more people to help her, so she can enjoy drinking tea with her mates". The only thing he will see is 5 people getting paid for doing work 3 people can do.

I never said I wanted to have help so that I could sit around doing nothing. All the cleaning can't get done with just me. Even if they helped, I still would be busy but at least the coaches would be cleaner and then I'll have time for a 10-minute break - which is what we're entitled to. I don't see the fairness in the others having 2 hour breaks and me having none.

Quote:
Thirdly, what would your coworkers say when confronted about this situation by your boss? WHAT IF, their reply would be "we work really well as a team, she has the easiest task, but still can't keep up, when we are trying to help her she is just holding all of us back, we don't want to do the lion share of both tasks, that's not fair".

You just don't get it. I think I have explained it enough but if you don't get it then I can't explain it any more clearer than I already have.

To make you get it, I will give an example that may be simpler for you. Let's just say you and me work in a supermarket on night shifts and there are 3 other people also doing the same shift. Four of us are trained to use the check-outs but you're not, so your job is to stock the shelves. Our job is also to stock shelves when we're not on the check-outs. The nights are quiet in the supermarket and only requires one or two check-outs to be open, but all 4 of us are on the check-outs having a laugh and a chat among ourselves. Then the supermarket closes halfway through our shift, so the check-outs don't need to be used any more, but instead of helping you stock up the shelves, we all just go and sit in the lounge for the rest of the shift (which is like 2 hours or more) and drink tea, while you're still out there trying to get all the shelves stocked up on your own but can't quite manage to do it all on your own, so the next day there are a lot of empty shelves, which shouldn't be so.

If you still don't get me then I'll have to get someone else to explain it better because it's frustrating me. If I'm honest it seems you're the one mistaking me for being a lazy bastard, not babybird.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 6:48 am

I'm not trying to get you, I'm not saying you are lazy, I'm not taking any sides. I'm giving you a perspective of how this situation can be interpreted by others and, most importantly, by your management. How you feel about this situation doesn't really affect the possible outcome.