Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2021, 8:51 pm

My family wants me to apply for disability. Its called ODSP where I am. I want to get a job honestly. I feel like I could do well with some responsibility.

However people who know me say I'm not ready for a job. They say I need to learn some skills first. I'm not great at following directions and apparently I have to work on my hygiene. They say I should also be more stable than I am now.

I feel like I should try anyways. I have experience with some stuff. I have done a mock interview before. I just feel weird because my siblings all have jobs, how come they are ready to have jobs? They are younger than me.

I told my mom I dont want to apply for disability. She told me that I shouldnt feel ashamed about it. I told my other relatives too and they had the same reaction. I feel like they are underestimating me.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 8:56 am

Well then, here are some questions you should answer honestly:

1. What is your skill set?

2. How much education have you had?

3. What is your employment history?

These are the first three questions I ask anyone who approaches me for advice on how to get hired.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 9:00 am

Plenty of people that are bad at following directions, have jobs

You could work on job skills

You could apply for jobs and if you don't get one, apply for disability

Where I live, plenty of applications for government benefits get rejected and denied.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 9:00 am

Crystal1414 wrote:
My family wants me to apply for disability. Its called ODSP where I am. I want to get a job honestly. I feel like I could do well with some responsibility.

However people who know me say I'm not ready for a job. They say I need to learn some skills first. I'm not great at following directions and apparently I have to work on my hygiene. They say I should also be more stable than I am now.

I feel like I should try anyways. I have experience with some stuff. I have done a mock interview before. I just feel weird because my siblings all have jobs, how come they are ready to have jobs? They are younger than me.

I told my mom I dont want to apply for disability. She told me that I shouldnt feel ashamed about it. I told my other relatives too and they had the same reaction. I feel like they are underestimating me.

Apply for disability anyways. It's a lot easier to get support once you're already referred and they'll be able to assist you with requesting accommodation and with finding suitable work.

I'd be in a much less stressful place now had I done things that way instead of thinking more effort was always the solution.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Crystal1414
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2021, 8:35 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Crystal1414 wrote:

Apply for disability anyways. It's a lot easier to get support once you're already referred and they'll be able to assist you with requesting accommodation and with finding suitable work.

I'd be in a much less stressful place now had I done things that way instead of thinking more effort was always the solution.

I think I will. My family will help me do that. Paperwork is hard for me to be honest. Yeah, support sounds helpful. I think I would need accommodations. I learn things really slowly for some reason. I do need help with finding a suitable job. I'm not sure what my skills are. I'm not sure if this is true but I heard that when you have a job you are expected to take your medications regularly if you take any. I dont know why but that is extremely difficult for me. Also I'm scared of what would happen if I started having an episode at work or a meltdown.

I'm sorry to hear that you are in a stressful place.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2021, 3:23 am

There a job agencies that can get you a job?

Everyone can work on hygiene. Everyone can work on being healthier and more positive. Don’t need too many skills to be ; dishy,waitress,kitchen hand,fast food worker, retail. You don’t even need education for any of those and I had those jobs and I’m not at all smart.

Depends where you are but disability job agencies can help you get a job? I got a temporary pick packing job through a disability organisation although I was with them for about a year I still got fired but eh it’s good experience!

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2021, 3:25 am

You can get a job on disability but it’s reduced hours where I am it’s 20 hours per week. So you could study and work a job ? Or you could always volunteer? Volunteering at oppe shops is fun and educational. I’ve found some amazing clothes there.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2021, 3:26 am

Why aren’t you ready for a job?
Just start with a casual job ? You might feel better with something to distract you from your hallucinations?

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2021, 3:27 am

Why aren’t you ready for a job?
Just start with a casual job ? You might feel better with something to distract you from your hallucinations?

I have an iq of 85. Getting older won’t make me anymore smarter. So I’ll guess I’ll never be ready but I worked when I wasn’t ready and lasted as a casual for 7 months and studied at the same time. People say that you gain weight when you quit smoking! Guess what! I lost weight when I quit. And I haven’t been a chain smoker for nearly two years. Who cares what people say! Unless they are neurosurgeons don’t listen to them!

Last edited by Itendswithmexx on 17 Oct 2021, 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2021, 3:28 am

What do you're parents do? Why do you listen so much to what you’re parents want? Disregard what they want. Do what you want. Think for yourself. It’s your life. Have a life.

Ask a doctor or a counsellor what to do.