Is it a reasonable request to ask for someone’s iq?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2021, 4:20 am

For jobs and other things? Dating? As a teacher? Employer? Shouldn’t everyone know their iq? To work in some industries you have to get psych and sexual health evaluating so why don’t they do clearances on intellectually health? I think that’s more important than mental health?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 11:03 pm

Itendswithmexx wrote:
For jobs and other things? Dating? As a teacher? Employer? Shouldn’t everyone know their iq? To work in some industries you have to get psych and sexual health evaluating so why don’t they do clearances on intellectually health? I think that’s more important than mental health?

I heard it may be illegal here in the US to ask someone for their IQ as part of a job interview.I have heard that many employers use requiring having a bachelor's degree as a legal way to get around it or so ive heard.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 12:38 am

Asking for IQ could be counterproductive.

Some of the most brilliant people I've known are very odd people. It wouldn't be out of the question for employers to reject those with very high IQ's in favor of those with above average, but really high.

Plus a great many people would lie about it -- like Trump telling everyone how smart he is.

If they really are extremely smart, they would probably be too smart for many jobs and would be likely to move on with a job opportunity that gives them more of a challenge.

So if you do ask for IQ's, maybe consider people with good IQ's, but not exceptionally high IQ's. For example, look for those in the range of something like 110 to 135.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 6:20 am

For some jobs, I don't see why not, though the IQ itself wouldn't prove that the person can handle a particular job. Even if someone has a very high IQ, if they have no experience or the exact education for a particular job, they might do worse in it than someone with an average IQ but who has experience. So putting too much weight on the IQ wouldn't go well. Plus, I think some bosses would specifically make sure to not hire people with higher IQ than they themselves have in order to keep their own job opportunities without competition.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 8:12 am

Itendswithmexx wrote:
While it may not be unreasonable, it may be considered rude by some.  Plus, not everyone knows their IQ.

In hiring, what is more important is a person's ability and willingness to perform the tasks assigned to them.

However, what TMM300 said is generally true.  Here are the unofficial guidelines I follow:
• High-school dropout = Below average intelligence
• High school diploma or GED only = Average intelligence
• Associate's (2-year) degree = Average to above average intelligence
• HAAS Bachelor's degree = Above average intelligence
• STEM Bachelor's degree = Above average intelligence + Maths skills
• Master's Degree = Above average intelligence + Management skills (esp., an MBA)
• Philosopher's Degree = Way above average intelligence (probably worth more than I could pay)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 18 Oct 2021, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 8:28 am

No way. IQ does not measure intelligence properly.

It certainly doesn't measure anybody's suitability for working hard.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 8:47 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
No way. IQ does not measure intelligence properly.

It certainly doesn't measure anybody's suitability for working hard.

I agree.

First, not everyone is good at taking standardized tests. I've met many geniuses who just do terrible with testing (for example, anxiety around test taking can skew scores greatly).

Second, I think IQ tests are not only overvalued but a bad measure of intelligence. They are not a reflection of one's real-world skills or problem solving, and they do not showcase one's strengths in any way.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 9:16 am

Not everyone has taken an IQ test

IQ tests not always accurate

Not everyone wants to disclose their IQ

Some job interview questions are illegal

The company could put together a test and give applicants, but by law the test has to be directly related to the essential job functions

Sometimes the best candidate for the job, is not the highest IQ score

Theory of multiple intelligence

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 10:22 am

I wouldn't hire someone based merely upon an IQ score. Come to think of it, the IQ score wouldn't enter, at all, into a candidate's suitability.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 11:08 am

I think asking IQ would only make sense in a rambling conversation with a very close friend or family member.

Asking for it to screen people for any official or semi-official purpose would seem wrong, might be illegal (it is medical info, right?), and would not be useful.

----They might lie.

----Different IQ tests have different standard deviations...you can get a different score from different tests.

----Some "IQ" tests might not be reliable (for instance, one you found and took on the Internet, or in a magazine).

----There are medical reasons a person's IQ might get lower after they have taken a test (for instance, a stroke).

----I can tell you from personal experience this Dilbert cartoon is correct.

----IQ does not equate education, training, talent, integrity, etc.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 11:14 am

IQ tests are great for demonstrating how well someone does on IQ tests.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 12:44 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
IQ tests are great for demonstrating how well someone does on IQ tests.

Yep, or as I like to phrase it IQ tests measures how good a person is at taking IQ tests.

/Mats

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Oct 2021, 7:58 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:

I heard it may be illegal here in the US to ask someone for their IQ as part of a job interview.I have heard that many employers use requiring having a bachelor's degree as a legal way to get around it or so ive heard.

Illegal? How? Hmm yah or which uni they went to but that still doesn’t tell you what their iq is - just their atar some places accept anything from 70-99 atar. But other places you can’t tell someone’s atar/iq cause they don’t have a degree. Maybe ask them what they got on their drivers licence test? You only need 70 to pass.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Oct 2021, 7:59 pm

kokopelli wrote:
Asking for IQ could be counterproductive.

Some of the most brilliant people I've known are very odd people. It wouldn't be out of the question for employers to reject those with very high IQ's in favor of those with above average, but really high.

Plus a great many people would lie about it -- like Trump telling everyone how smart he is.

If they really are extremely smart, they would probably be too smart for many jobs and would be likely to move on with a job opportunity that gives them more of a challenge.

So if you do ask for IQ's, maybe consider people with good IQ's, but not exceptionally high IQ's. For example, look for those in the range of something like 110 to 135.

Eh if I were hiring someone to wax my moustache I would want someone with the highest iq.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 8:43 pm

Here in Australia you can't directly measure IQ for getting a job or a place in university.

However, as Fnord mentioned, there are proxy measures that have good concurrent validity to IQ.

e.g. problem solving tasks given as part of a job interview or scores on standardised tests in combination with entry/completion of university degree is usually comparable with IQ.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2021, 2:50 am

cyberdad wrote:
Here in Australia you can't directly measure IQ for getting a job or a place in university.

However, as Fnord mentioned, there are proxy measures that have good concurrent validity to IQ.

e.g. problem solving tasks given as part of a job interview or scores on standardised tests in combination with entry/completion of university degree is usually comparable with IQ.

Yeah but nobody tells what their atar is.