Shutting the door on him fair or not?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 11:01 am

In our family social circle we used to know this young man who was considered by many to be 'weird'.

My brother who at the time was working at dominos pizza said about him "if he came in looking for a job at dominos I would shut the door on him".

Do you think my brothers attitude at the time was unfair or not?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 11:02 am

Isn't that basically how people treat you as well?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 11:11 am

funeralxempire wrote:

Yep you bet it is

NTs can be real dicks :evil:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 11:20 am

Jamesy wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Yep you bet it is

I'd say there's a good chance it's unfair although since I don't know the guy I can't be certain. It's not impossible that people have reasons that go beyond that he's weird, but since I don't have any way of knowing that I can't consider that aspect.

That's part of the problem when people dislike someone but also feel compelled to be polite about why or lack evidence beyond their gut.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 11:32 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Yep you bet it is

I'd say there's a good chance it's unfair although since I don't know the guy I can't be certain. It's not impossible that people have reasons that go beyond that he's weird, but since I don't have any way of knowing that I can't consider that aspect.

That's part of the problem when people dislike someone but also feel compelled to be polite about why or lack evidence beyond their gut.

Well I said to my brother "you should accept difference in the workforce" my brother then angrily said "NO"

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 6:30 pm

Jamesy wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Yep you bet it is

Well I said to my brother "you should accept difference in the workforce" my brother then angrily said "NO"

In some countries, it is illegal for companies to "discriminate" against applicants for certain reasons, including disability. If his "weird" condition resulted from an official diagnosis that he disclosed to the employer, he has a legal right to reasonable accommodation. However, what is legal, is subjective. Furthermore, the company could hire anyone they want, and they do not have a demographic quota. Even if they did, the demographic quota would not address factors such as Myers Briggs personality types and psychiatric diagnosis. Likewise, for dominos to just "shut the door on him" is not "fair".

But unless the applicant wins a civil lawsuit against the company, the company could get away with doing anything it wants, legal or illegal.

Furthermore many states "at will" employer. The company could make any employee redundant for any reason, or no reason, as long as it is not explicitly illegal. The company does not have to tell the employee the reason.

One company had the nerve to make my worthless corpse redundant on the second day of work. "It's not a good match". The statement was too ambiguous. You can't measure the quality of the match. She did not tell me that I did anything wrong. She did not legally have to tell me anything though.

My worthless corpse has wasted a lot of time, money and energy trying to get a job. There are many reasons why it could be, but being "weird" is just one of them