How likely is this employment outcome these days?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 8:06 am

Hi everybody,
I have been working on establishing a career working for others for a few years since I graduated from college with my bachelor's.However, I may try to find full time work if I am ever able to.It looks like my best hope and possibly my only hope hope of getting a fulltime working for others career in the private sector would be to get hired on entry-level at a Big Box Store or Gas station or maybe fast food and try to beat the odds and get promoted and work my way up and work for years at the same employer.My friends tell me that this is a good path for millennials.But I disagree because of high burnout rates.However if you get to a store manager of a Big Box Store thats real good money.
I have a family member who is getting real burned out in retail management and is contemplating switching careers.Also I disagree because by nature of them being McJobs there is little to no chance of getting promoted to management.I even took a course in college that explained exactly that.Also someone told me that you work like 80 or so hours a week at least and you are only making ok to decent money because you are working for so long each week.My doctor said that I would have better shot than a high school drop out at establishing a middle class career after working a McJob for 6 months to a year.However I think I will wait until after the pandemic is over to focus more on my job search.Thanks in advance.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 2:28 pm

Sorry for messing up my post.How likely is to get promoted from a entry-level McJob to a middle class living wage role at the same company after years of hard work and dedication?

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 7:29 pm

You spoke about different job options back in March TMM (7-8 months ago)
Have you obtained a McJob or any other job in the meantime?
You could have 6+ months experience and also money in the kitty in this time.

It's much easier to find work if you already have a job. Start small working in any job at all that you can find, and then keep looking to step up to a higher level either there or somewhere else.

If you have a long track record of unemployment you have a much lower chance of securing work anywhere else. A history of consistent employment is your best bet for securing a better job in the future.

"Starting from zero got nothing to lose" (Tracy Chapman)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 7:35 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Sorry for messing up my post.How likely is to get promoted from a entry-level McJob to a middle class living wage role at the same company after years of hard work and dedication?

<0.1%

The only way McJobs are going to become good paying jobs is securing collective bargaining agreements that increase the leverage they have when negotiating wages and benefits.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 4:31 pm

Eurythmic wrote:
You spoke about different job options back in March TMM (7-8 months ago)
Have you obtained a McJob or any other job in the meantime?
You could have 6+ months experience and also money in the kitty in this time.

It's much easier to find work if you already have a job. Start small working in any job at all that you can find, and then keep looking to step up to a higher level either there or somewhere else.

If you have a long track record of unemployment you have a much lower chance of securing work anywhere else. A history of consistent employment is your best bet for securing a better job in the future.

"Starting from zero got nothing to lose" (Tracy Chapman)

I consulted with my state job lady but she has not gotten back to me yet.The state of Texas is really bad when it comes to helping people like us get jobs.I have been trying to get a job through the state job people for about a decade and I absolutely need them so if this lady doesnt help me I am through with my job search.I have just been working for my dad

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 4:33 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

<0.1%

The only way McJobs are going to become good paying jobs is securing collective bargaining agreements that increase the leverage they have when negotiating wages and benefits.

I doubt that would happen in Texas within the next 20 to 30 to 40 years.I guess I will just have to be a trust fund baby and work for my dad.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 9:05 pm

I know you want a job independent of your dad.

If you can last a year at a McDonald’s, you could probably be promoted to assistant manager.

Have you worked for your dad before?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 9:08 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If you can last a year at a McDonald’s, you could probably be promoted to assistant manager.

I wouldn't count on it unless he gets along especially well with the higher ups and puts in more hours than is reasonable to expect of a person. It gets worse when one gets given a salaried position too.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 9:50 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I know you want a job independent of your dad.

Have you worked for your dad before?

ive been working for my dad ever since I was 3 or 5 counting all my outdoors like working with him on the fishing boat and setting up camp starting camp fires stuff and help and chores and yardwork mowing grass dog sitting ranch work field dressing deer butchering deer carrying fish managing money loading deer feeders and baling hay etc.So I have been working for my dad all together in one form or the other for decades

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 10:33 pm

I wish your dad could give you a real job with a real salary.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 10:44 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wish your dad could give you a real job with a real salary.

right now he is paying a very nominal amount like 10 bucks a month but we are not paying ourselves at this point because we are just focused on saving money for our next oil deal and growing the company.But its hard because they dont get how hard it is for young people even NTs to find a job after college that pays a living wage much less someone like me.