What to do if you don't have the stamina for a full-time job

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 11:39 am

What to do if you don't have the stamina for a full-time job?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 11:51 am

Do you qualify for any disability support?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 1:15 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

@funeralxempire

Nope I don't qualify

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 1:22 pm

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

@funeralxempire

Nope I don't qualify

If it's a consistent problem I would talk with doctors about receiving paperwork to change that situation.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 2:46 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

@funeralxempire

Nope I don't qualify

If it's a consistent problem I would talk with doctors about receiving paperwork to change that situation.

@funeralxempire

A therapist or a doctor to give me a piece of paper so I can claim temporary disability support?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 2:50 pm

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

@funeralxempire

Nope I don't qualify

@funeralxempire

A therapist or a doctor to give me a piece of paper so I can claim temporary disability support?

More so to be assessed to determine what if any support is suitable but I'd suggest inherently if someone is incapable of working 40 hours that person probably needs some amount of assistance.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

CloudSea
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Oct 2021, 5:14 am

My health professional team advise me not to work full-time so I've been fortunate to find a job that lets me work 30 hours a week. Yes, I earn less money but aside from that, I feel I have a real work/life balance. Sacrifices, yes, but better than no job or being miserable in a full-time one? Hope that helps. :)

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 1:35 pm

CloudSea wrote:
My health professional team advise me not to work full-time so I've been fortunate to find a job that lets me work 30 hours a week. Yes, I earn less money but aside from that, I feel I have a real work/life balance. Sacrifices, yes, but better than no job or being miserable in a full-time one? Hope that helps. :)

@CloudSea

What job do you do for 30 hours a week?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 3:46 pm

As a person with ADHD I find full-time work will be too much for me, because being in the same place for long periods of time doing the same repetitive tasks every day will cause me to panic and go berserk with boredom, even if the job itself is enjoyable and not boring, the repetitiveness of it will make me feel that way. I'd rather work somewhere where I'm busy doing different things with a group of people that I get on with. But those sorts of jobs require qualifications or training and good memory and focus skills, which I lack (but I don't lack communication skills, although I don't like dealing with the public as I get too sensitive to angry customers, I can't help it). So the sort of jobs I seem to get are the repetitive sort, like cleaning. Don't get me wrong, I like my job and it isn't overwhelming or anything, but sometimes I wish there was a bit of variation to my daily tasks. I only work part-time.

Luckily in the UK people who work part-time and don't own their home can get help with their rent and council tax (especially if you live alone). Many people call me lazy, and I always thought I was, but since I'm being assessed for ADHD I feel it's answering a lot of these things. I'm not lazy, my ADHD just doesn't let me focus on one thing for long periods of time. Maybe meds might help me mentally cope with full-time work.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 6:13 pm

I did work 40 hours a week for about 20 years, in fact likely closer to 50 most weeks, and upwards of 70+ if you include work that I brought home. I only did that because I was a single mother and I had no choice in order to keep custody or keep possession of my house.

I'm not suggesting you do this. My point is that I wasn't diagnosed at that time and I had no idea that I might be able to receive disability benefits. I ended up having a nervous breakdown about ten years into my work, and a stroke at the end. I ended up on disability because of my stroke and PTSD. I added Autism / ADHD to my claim later on when I was diagnosed, but I was already approved for permanent disability status by that time.

I don't think anyone should put their health in jeopardy especially if they have good cause to receive disability or other arrangements for financial assistance. I agree you might want to get updated doctors' reports and diagnoses to support your claim.

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 12:08 pm

Joe90 wrote:
As a person with ADHD I find full-time work will be too much for me, because being in the same place for long periods of time doing the same repetitive tasks every day will cause me to panic and go berserk with boredom, even if the job itself is enjoyable and not boring, the repetitiveness of it will make me feel that way. I'd rather work somewhere where I'm busy doing different things with a group of people that I get on with. But those sorts of jobs require qualifications or training and good memory and focus skills, which I lack (but I don't lack communication skills, although I don't like dealing with the public as I get too sensitive to angry customers, I can't help it). So the sort of jobs I seem to get are the repetitive sort, like cleaning. Don't get me wrong, I like my job and it isn't overwhelming or anything, but sometimes I wish there was a bit of variation to my daily tasks. I only work part-time.

Luckily in the UK people who work part-time and don't own their home can get help with their rent and council tax (especially if you live alone). Many people call me lazy, and I always thought I was, but since I'm being assessed for ADHD I feel it's answering a lot of these things. I'm not lazy, my ADHD just doesn't let me focus on one thing for long periods of time. Maybe meds might help me mentally cope with full-time work.

@Joe90

How did you find your job as a part-time cleaner?

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 12:12 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I did work 40 hours a week for about 20 years, in fact likely closer to 50 most weeks, and upwards of 70+ if you include work that I brought home. I only did that because I was a single mother and I had no choice in order to keep custody or keep possession of my house.

I'm not suggesting you do this. My point is that I wasn't diagnosed at that time and I had no idea that I might be able to receive disability benefits. I ended up having a nervous breakdown about ten years into my work, and a stroke at the end. I ended up on disability because of my stroke and PTSD. I added Autism / ADHD to my claim later on when I was diagnosed, but I was already approved for permanent disability status by that time.

I don't think anyone should put their health in jeopardy especially if they have good cause to receive disability or other arrangements for financial assistance. I agree you might want to get updated doctors' reports and diagnoses to support your claim.

@IsabellaLinton

I don't think I'm eligible for any PIP disability benefits.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2021, 4:26 am

What do you mean? Can’t you just do part time? It’s not like you’re expected to be a hamster on a hamster wheel for 80hrs a week. If it’s mental health related a job can probably help a lot.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Oct 2021, 6:49 am

Joe90 wrote:

Why don’t you do telemarketing?

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Oct 2021, 6:50 am

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:

Get a temp job,part time job? Job that’s not physically exhausting.

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 4:42 pm

Itendswithmexx wrote:
TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:

Get a temp job,part time job? Job that’s not physically exhausting.

@Itendswithmexx

All my previous work experience is physically exhausting jobs so I'm a bit but on finding something non-physical