Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Kt.Kpop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: 25 Feb 2022
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 42
Location: St. Louis

15 Mar 2022, 8:59 pm

Currently, I'm on disability. I'd like to go back to college, but what to study??
There's lots of jobs I would be great at, but I have no interest in anything and no direction.

Many years ago, I took a career test, and the five jobs best suited to me and my high IQ, were of zero interest to me.

Wondering what jobs other ASDers are doing and/or enjoy?



mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Feb 2020
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 723
Location: Southern Sweden

16 Mar 2022, 11:08 am

Right after High School, I started working at 1st line IT support.
Gradually my job changed to Network Technician, then Server and DB admin, then IT Security.
Then I changed jobs and worked with testing of Security software, which was so-so, so I changed to programming.

Then I had a mental crash and was unemployed for a while.

Slowly coming back to life, I got some shortish gigs at the first workplace, working with support, network admin and other stuff.
Then I took a 1st line IT support job, which quickly changed to 2nd/3rd line.

But it was a sh***y workplace, so I quit and started my own company importing traditional board games and selling mostly via a webshop.

Then a minor crash and I sold off the company and studied Boat building and traditional rigging.
After which I got my current job as a Rigger.

But I've quit (will be here til the end of May) and my current plan is to study history at Uni.

Whether I liked my jobs or not wasn't so much about the job itself, it depended on my boss and how well things worked out with my colleagues.

/Mats


_________________
Interests: Comic books, Manga; most things to do with Handicraft, wood, textile, metal etc, modern materials; horror, true crime; languages, art, and history to an extent
Uninterests: All things about motors; celebrities; fashion; sports; career; stock market
Feel free to PM me!


Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 23,735
Location: UK

16 Mar 2022, 12:17 pm

I clean coaches at a coach depot. It's very Aspie/ADHD/anxiety-friendly, and the environment is rather laid-back. There aren't too many rules and you don't get hassled, you just get assigned a coach to clean and you get on with it. I like it because it suits me and I'm good at cleaning. It isn't too repetitive, and there are no scary customers or screaming toddlers to deal with.


_________________
Female
Aged 32

Diagnosed with ADHD
Have Anxiety Disorder
Diagnosed with mild ASD but I don't identify as autistic


And So It Goes
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 16 Oct 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 400

16 Mar 2022, 4:31 pm

Unemployed, but I write a lot, and freelance when the opportunity arises.


_________________
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be."


Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1931
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,403
Location: wales

16 Mar 2022, 4:54 pm

Labourer/fabricator or whatever they want me to do on the day. It's a bit noisy but it's OK. Getting a day in the van making deliveries to the companies site workers is the best as I can just chill out in Burger King between drives and mooch around on site. Bagged myself a load Covid and drugs tests from one of the site managers desk draw on Monday and made a clean getaway.



Kt.Kpop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: 25 Feb 2022
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 42
Location: St. Louis

16 Mar 2022, 8:56 pm

I've had over 120 jobs over 30 years. Every place is the same ... "You're a great worker, but you don't get along with others." :cry:

I was approved 2 years ago for Voc Rehab, but none of the agencies that place ASD people are accepting new clients. On top of that, the jobs they do offer are predominantly for low-functioning workers who need constant supervision. It's very frustrating.

I have an above average IQ, but no education/degree, and zero interest in any profession. Don't even have hobbies. I feel like trending jobs (computers, programming, cyber security, finance, social worker) are too complicated and difficult at my age (almost 50) to go to college. Even the jobs/fields common amongst high IQ and/or ASD, have zero appeal to me. Just feel so stuck. :|



HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2015
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,014

17 Mar 2022, 5:48 am

Kt.Kpop wrote:
I have an above average IQ, but no education/degree, and zero interest in any profession.


That's one of the hardest parts, I think. I never had any interest in a career or profession. I have no issue with being responsible for myself, I just don't think the way NTs do.



HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2015
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,014

17 Mar 2022, 5:50 am

I work at an adult day program for people with autism and intellectual disabilities. I enjoy most things about the clients, since we relate easily. But, the environment is very unhealthy for me (light, noise, constant interruptions) and I don't plan on being there long.



munstead
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2022
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 845
Location: Standing behind you

17 Mar 2022, 5:55 am

HighLlama wrote:
Kt.Kpop wrote:
I have an above average IQ, but no education/degree, and zero interest in any profession.


That's one of the hardest parts, I think. I never had any interest in a career or profession. I have no issue with being responsible for myself, I just don't think the way NTs do.


the great thing about programming is there are such low entry barriers. you don't need a degree. you need a portfolio of work to show you can do the job. so you can put together some work on github, for example.

as to other posters' comments about not having an interest in a profession, i get that but at the same time why should that matter. i think you'll find most people aren't that passionate about the job they are doing, they do it because it gets them money and with that they can afford food and a roof over their head, and in our cases also allows them to partake in their special interests. so my personal view is i tell myself to 'get over myself' and just do something i have an aptitude in because i need money to be self sufficient. i need to be self sufficient, then i have freedom to make choices and do my hobbies and interests.



Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 23,735
Location: UK

17 Mar 2022, 6:50 am

Sometimes I worry that I'm in a menial job and some people my age are managers or have other high-paying jobs, but then there are plenty of NT people my age who are in menial jobs too.

As a person with ADHD I don't have the organisation skills required for jobs that involve a lot of planning, remembering, pressure and technology. I'm too easily distracted and I find prioritising difficult.


_________________
Female
Aged 32

Diagnosed with ADHD
Have Anxiety Disorder
Diagnosed with mild ASD but I don't identify as autistic


Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Jun 2020
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,011
Location: western MA, USA

17 Mar 2022, 6:52 am

I'm a web developer. I work from home and have very little interaction with other people. I couldn't have found a job that I'm better suited for.



shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Mar 2017
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,734

17 Mar 2022, 12:18 pm

And So It Goes wrote:
Unemployed, but I write a lot, and freelance when the opportunity arises.

___________________

How did you become a professional writer?

Right now I work as a Lot Attendant. Pushing shopping carts. Loading heavy merchandise. Janitor.

Pretty soon I will be too injured, old, and sick and weak to be a lot attendant

I have always wanted to be a writer



DoniiMann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2010
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 398
Location: Tasmania

17 Mar 2022, 4:48 pm

Looking back over the jobs I've done, the tolerability seems to have been based on degrees of order vs chaos. So I worked in loud, noisy factories... but they were relatively well ordered with procedures that were easy to master and didn't require a lot of interaction. Basically good jobs.

I also worked in cafes that were cleaner and quieter... but highly chaotic. Absolute nightmare. Everything changes with every new customer order.

Speed + Confusion = Avoid like the plague.


_________________
assumption makes an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'mption'.


HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2015
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,014

17 Mar 2022, 5:25 pm

munstead wrote:
HighLlama wrote:
Kt.Kpop wrote:
I have an above average IQ, but no education/degree, and zero interest in any profession.


That's one of the hardest parts, I think. I never had any interest in a career or profession. I have no issue with being responsible for myself, I just don't think the way NTs do.


the great thing about programming is there are such low entry barriers. you don't need a degree. you need a portfolio of work to show you can do the job. so you can put together some work on github, for example.

as to other posters' comments about not having an interest in a profession, i get that but at the same time why should that matter. i think you'll find most people aren't that passionate about the job they are doing, they do it because it gets them money and with that they can afford food and a roof over their head, and in our cases also allows them to partake in their special interests. so my personal view is i tell myself to 'get over myself' and just do something i have an aptitude in because i need money to be self sufficient. i need to be self sufficient, then i have freedom to make choices and do my hobbies and interests.


Right. But, I have a full-time job and have had one for years. I also have an aversion to homeless, so I don't need to tell myself to get over myself. I'm not sure why you think I don't realize people need food and shelter.



munstead
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2022
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 845
Location: Standing behind you

18 Mar 2022, 2:07 am

Ok I think I have misinterpreted your earlier post, and on reflection my reply would have been better to quote just kt.kpop. my aim in posting was to say that for kt.kpop - who has apparently had over 120 jobs so far in their life and struggled with the interaction part - many autistics have found programming and Web development v suitable. So I was trying to help on that part with pointing out a job type that may work better for them.

On the getting over yourself, well that was what I say to myself as a pep talk, but to clarify, I was trying to help overcome yours and kt.kpop's stated barrier: a "lack of interest in a profession". That is not a special or unique-to-autism situation. So I'm pointing that out in case it helps. Further, I am giving an 'alternative view' on the barrier, to help overcome it. This 'alternative view' as I call it has helped me and I am sure that will i help many on here even if in this case it doesn't help you specifically.



Last edited by munstead on 18 Mar 2022, 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2022
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 845
Location: Standing behind you

18 Mar 2022, 3:45 am

Steve1963 wrote:
I'm a web developer. I work from home and have very little interaction with other people. I couldn't have found a job that I'm better suited for.


This, software programming more generally, being a professional writer, and game designer are my dream jobs.