Riding to work on an e-scooter is awesome.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 1:04 am

Ah it is great gets you a little outside time before inside work, and it's fun just cruising along on your electric scooter. The one I have is not quite full e-scooter, but mostly it accelerates on its own if I push the accelorator. It struggles up hills so I usually have to give it a few kicks(like you'd do with a regular manual scooter) to get it up the hill but other than that it's pretty awesome. I can certainly get to work and back on one charge there is a bus from my work to home but the scooter is fun so I think I will just ride that back most days. Today though it was really windy and part of the route home is kind off a narrow sidewalk by the main road so I folded down my scooter to bring on the bus because I did not want to be on that narrow sidewalk near cars with high winds.

It goes up to 12 mph but half the time I don't put it up to that, but if I have a good clear path without pedestrians I do like to bring it up to full speed and go as fast as I can. But for sure I do try to be considerate of walkinng pedestrians or kids. LIke today is the second day I have taken my scooter to work, but there is usually a kid with just a kick scooter going down the sidewalk so I usually pull off to let them pass cause I am sure they are trying to get to school on time. But idk it's fun to ride an e-scooter to work if you live close enough to your job to do that. That said the e-scooter I got was 300 dollars, but it was cheaper because it is actually a childrens scooter made for 'big kids', but it said it could hold up to 165 pound and the heaviest I have ever gotten is 120 pounds and I am just 5 feet tall so for sure I determined the scooter would work for me since I am small size. But yeah unfortunately the adult scooters that can probably hold more weight than that are like twice as much so I think I lucked out by being small enough to use a e-scooter built for big kids. Cause yeah an actual adult scooter is like 600 bucks which would have required more saving but I am small enough the kid sized one is just fine for me.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 1:20 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Ah it is great gets you a little outside time before inside work, and it's fun just cruising along on your electric scooter. The one I have is not quite full e-scooter, but mostly it accelerates on its own if I push the accelorator. It struggles up hills so I usually have to give it a few kicks(like you'd do with a regular manual scooter) to get it up the hill but other than that it's pretty awesome. I can certainly get to work and back on one charge there is a bus from my work to home but the scooter is fun so I think I will just ride that back most days. Today though it was really windy and part of the route home is kind off a narrow sidewalk by the main road so I folded down my scooter to bring on the bus because I did not want to be on that narrow sidewalk near cars with high winds.

It goes up to 12 mph but half the time I don't put it up to that, but if I have a good clear path without pedestrians I do like to bring it up to full speed and go as fast as I can. But for sure I do try to be considerate of walkinng pedestrians or kids. LIke today is the second day I have taken my scooter to work, but there is usually a kid with just a kick scooter going down the sidewalk so I usually pull off to let them pass cause I am sure they are trying to get to school on time. But idk it's fun to ride an e-scooter to work if you live close enough to your job to do that. That said the e-scooter I got was 300 dollars, but it was cheaper because it is actually a childrens scooter made for 'big kids', but it said it could hold up to 165 pound and the heaviest I have ever gotten is 120 pounds and I am just 5 feet tall so for sure I determined the scooter would work for me since I am small size. But yeah unfortunately the adult scooters that can probably hold more weight than that are like twice as much so I think I lucked out by being small enough to use a e-scooter built for big kids. Cause yeah an actual adult scooter is like 600 bucks which would have required more saving but I am small enough the kid sized one is just fine for me.

Just be sure to wear a helmet please but other than that I hope u enjoy it

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 1:56 am

I got a helmet, but admittedly did not use it...idk I have to adjust it to my head and didn't have time before work, but I prrobably should figure how to get it strapped right so I can wear it. I don't feel I'd crash easily but probably better safe than sorry/

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 2:16 am

Yeah please do get that helmet on. I cycle to work sometimes and have seen some horrible incidents involving e-scooters. The little wheels don't fare well when they hit minor bumps in the road, and I've seen quite a few people crash after going over something really small... and bang their head.

Also, a lot of the e-scooter riders don't seem to have any road riding or driving experience and so don't obey standard rules of the road like signalling, stopping at red lights, and end up getting into a lot of trouble. So watch out for other e-scooter riders. They're more dangerous than cars in my experience!

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 6:54 am

E-scooters have always interested me. They're probably the most compact self propelled vehicle humanly possible. Easy to make, almost free to run, a potentially massive battery and folds up small enough to fit in a suitcase. What's not to like?

I think laws on e-scooters and e-bikes need to be relaxed. Batteries and motors work great when miniaturised unlike engines. For people without a car licence or living in cities they're ideal. Even for people with licences living outside of cities they're still good and I'm very tempted to make my own e-bike.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 7:16 am

munstead wrote:
Yeah please do get that helmet on. I cycle to work sometimes and have seen some horrible incidents involving e-scooters. The little wheels don't fare well when they hit minor bumps in the road, and I've seen quite a few people crash after going over something really small... and bang their head.

Also, a lot of the e-scooter riders don't seem to have any road riding or driving experience and so don't obey standard rules of the road like signalling, stopping at red lights, and end up getting into a lot of trouble. So watch out for other e-scooter riders. They're more dangerous than cars in my experience!

Yip that's the one downside of e-scooters. Such small wheels hate bumps in the road and ideally people should have a car licence when using one on busy city roads. A friend broke his leg blasting though Cardiff on a e-scooter. He had no licence and no helmet and was riding it on busy Cardiff roads at about 25mph.

25mph is slow in a city for someone with a full car licence. For someone without a licence who takes longer to read the rules of the road and might often get them wrong, it's more than fast enough to end up with a nasty confrontation with truck even though they feel like it's a safe speed.

I believe a famous YouTuber ended up being killed in a crash caused by inexperience and hitting a bump in the road. Two wheels on a road is nothing to be underestimated, both my uncle and dad had massive motorcycle crashes in the past though no fault of their own that any scooter ride could end up in. Air ambulances for both of them. Three wrecked superbikes, a wrecked car and 4 seriously injured people. Their riding gear is all that (barely) saved them but granted they were high speed crashes.

If someone is going to go on the roads with no licence, it's still relatively safe but they need to go slow and wear a helmet. Car like speeds should always be avoided with no licence.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 8:29 pm

munstead wrote:

I got it all adjusted a bit ago, so I'll be wearing it from now on even if I see other people riding them without one. But also this one I just ride on the sidewalk, it's kind of a hybrid between e-scooter and kick scooter, so I have to kick a few times here and there to keep it going well and kicking on a scooter causes it to zig zag a little which I don't think is safe in a bike lane. So I just use the sidewalk and watch for pedestrians and there is a bike trail I can take part way to.

There are full e-scooters that are more powerful and can go up to 20 mph that don't need any kicking, mine can only go 12 so with those it may be more appropriate to use the bike lane but then of course they should follow the same sort of rules bicyclists are supposed to follow.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 8:31 pm

Have you taken it apart yet?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 8:47 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Ah it is great gets you a little outside time before inside work,

There is a lot to be said for that!
:D
Remembering how great it was to go outside on nice days when I worked in shopping malls.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 8:59 pm

I would only do it if you have top rate medical insurance because if you had a really bad wreck u could be 300 grand in medical debt Also be sure to get disablity insurance in case you cant work if you have a e-scooter wreck that makes unable to work for the rest of your life.