I'm an actress/writer and working as a carer? Help?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

honey1234
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 May 2022, 5:40 am

I work for a company were I have two clients I support who are brain injured. The company isn't great and tell you lies. I got tested for covid and the company were pissed about it and had to make my own way back from a place in the middle of nowhere. I took the role as I need a side job and don't have any acting/project work yet. As much as I love the clients. It's like what I am doing here and why am I travelling so far.

I have the ambition to go freelance but I'm unsure what in. I want to make my own projects in film/theatre eventually. I'm a creative thinker and any side business jobs ideas? something that fits my autism. I do love animals also.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 7:53 am

Do you have an agent? Are you a member of SAG/AFTRA? Also, do you live in Los Angeles or New York? How often do you audition? Do you attend “cattle calls”? Do you now, or have you ever attended acting school? How many paid speaking roles have you had.

From your post, it is obvious that you want to get away from care-giving and realize your dreams.

Last edited by Fnord on 07 May 2022, 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 8:01 am

If you feel like you would like to work with clients such as your previous clients, there are many openings in group homes for people with disabilities. Some of them are “live-in.”

Then there are health-care jobs in general. There is a great demand for Certified Nursing Assistants, or Home Health Aides. These are especially good if you like working with elderly people.

Have you a college/university degree? What was your major?

Sorry that company treated you so badly.

honey1234
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 May 2022, 4:37 pm

I am a trained actor and I attend an acting studio to keep working on craft. I feel I need to keep getting better in writing and go on a more advanced training. I went back to the company around a month ago. I did work for them over summer time 3 years back. I took the job as its also flexible around acting and commitments and do like 1 client who I work with and involves personal care, manual handling, the stuff I can do that my clients can't. I'm still in the process of getting a decent agent.

I have been wanting to go freelance and now considering returning to makeup artistry training to set my own hours and work around acting. Is that wise? should I stick with the carer job?

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 4:54 pm

There's no harm in doing the make up artist training as long as it doesn't involve leaving the carer job. Then you'll be working toward a higher purpose, which feels good. Instead of just considering yourself in a deadend position.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 5:05 pm

The most important thing…is that you could afford your rent and bills if you’re out on your own.

If you’re living with parents/relatives, it’s somewhat easier.

In most cases, I would keep the carer job. As you know, many actors have “regular” jobs, too.