Let go from my first job and will start new job in July

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

badgerbadger
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 May 2022, 8:02 am

Hi everyone,

It is refreshing to have a forum like that. I thought it was the correct place, because when I typed google "autism probation", this forum came up. To explain briefly, I was never diagnosed as autistic, but my research told me that I have symptoms of Asperger syndrome.
Last year I graduated from mechanical engineering branch and found a job at automotive industry. Here probation period is 2 months. I was working hard but asked too many questions, some of them were repeated. I also could not get along with my peer who was supposed to help me with orientation. Probably he gave my supervisor thumbs down about me. After all my supervisor told that they can't continue with me and after probation period ended, I was fired.
Now I made a career change and will work as a junior software engineer in a bank at July. I do not want to make the same mistakes and here are the notes I took before starting;
- Adapt to every situation possible, be obedient
- Try to take notes on everything you hear
- Keep working hard and just talk about the job, do not discuss anything else
- Do not show anger, fear, joy

How can I deal with risk of being kicked out of the building once again?

Best regards

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 9:24 am

Badger badger

Plenty of companies have had the nerve to make me redundant

There is no foolproof method of preventing them from firing you

Some states "at will" employer

All things equal, your list of strategies will reduce the chances of getting made redundant

But not all things are equal

Especially if the boss notices your autism symptoms

Besides, someone could wrongfully accuse you of something

It makes me want to (wiretap) everything

At one job interview, I took notes (one of your rules). The job interviewer had the nerve to snap at me ("what you just wrote down?"). (Answer:. Vlookup, that's what she just said).

:roll:

badgerbadger
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 May 2022, 9:56 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Badger badger

Plenty of companies have had the nerve to make me redundant

There is no foolproof method of preventing them from firing you

Some states "at will" employer

All things equal, your list of strategies will reduce the chances of getting made redundant

But not all things are equal

Especially if the boss notices your autism symptoms

Besides, someone could wrongfully accuse you of something

It makes me want to (wiretap) everything

At one job interview, I took notes (one of your rules). The job interviewer had the nerve to snap at me ("what you just wrote down?"). (Answer:. Vlookup, that's what she just said).

:roll:

Thanks for your reply!

Good news is, I did very well at interviews, I am usually great at first impression stuff. The problem is the rest. For me settling at a job is the last step of success in my terms, which is being able to live on my own without parents consultancy.
I can understand that there are no methods to prevent getting fired, I just want to reduce the risk of this. I thought of taking notes after receiving a bombardment of job related stuff to avoid forgetting and performing well.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 10:25 am

What part of the world do you live in? Some of your rules might not be ideal for the US. Adhering to them strictly might actually increase the possibility you'll be suspected of having autism.

You should try to at least appear to be friendly and willing to participate in light banter. Just don't try to change the level of seriousness. But you should also be willing to do what's asked of you and try to conceal any negative reaction to what you've been told. At your level, you need to establish yourself as a team player before you can think about becoming a disrupter.

Taking notes is good if it helps you remember what you've been told and avoid asking people, especially your boss, to repeat themselves. I don't see why somebody would object.

Fitting in is probably more important than standing out at the beginning. This is not the same as being an automaton.

But then I don't know what culture you are in. Some advice that may be good for a person working in the US might be lousy for a person working in China, for example.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 12:34 pm

My recommendation is to strive to be very competent at your job and to focus on delivering value to your employer. Do what can do well.

Employers will overlook a certain amount of idiosyncrasy and weirdness if a employee is competent, hard working, loyal and a team player.

badgerbadger
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jun 2022, 5:26 am

MaxE wrote:
What part of the world do you live in? Some of your rules might not be ideal for the US. Adhering to them strictly might actually increase the possibility you'll be suspected of having autism.

You should try to at least appear to be friendly and willing to participate in light banter. Just don't try to change the level of seriousness. But you should also be willing to do what's asked of you and try to conceal any negative reaction to what you've been told. At your level, you need to establish yourself as a team player before you can think about becoming a disrupter.

Taking notes is good if it helps you remember what you've been told and avoid asking people, especially your boss, to repeat themselves. I don't see why somebody would object.

Fitting in is probably more important than standing out at the beginning. This is not the same as being an automaton.

But then I don't know what culture you are in. Some advice that may be good for a person working in the US might be lousy for a person working in China, for example.

Hi MaxE,

I am from a place that is either Southeast Europe or straight up Middle East. Your 2nd paragraph makes sense and it is also a good advice for where I live in. I think that was one of the problems at my first job, I didn't pay attention to be a team player.

Thanks for your words.

badgerbadger
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jun 2022, 5:27 am

rse92 wrote:
My recommendation is to strive to be very competent at your job and to focus on delivering value to your employer. Do what can do well.

Employers will overlook a certain amount of idiosyncrasy and weirdness if a employee is competent, hard working, loyal and a team player.

Hi rse92,

Thanks for your words. I liked your advices.

It is refreshing to have legit advices here, I am glad I joined this forum.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 6:12 am

badgerbadger wrote:
Hi MaxE,

I am from a place that is either Southeast Europe or straight up Middle East. Your 2nd paragraph makes sense and it is also a good advice for where I live in. I think that was one of the problems at my first job, I didn't pay attention to be a team player.

Thanks for your words.

I like to think I'm good at such advice, having mastered in my late 60s things that come instinctively to most people in their 20s.

badgerbadger
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jul 2022, 2:00 am

Hello everybody,

So I started working at my new job at the beginning of July. One thing I realized is that communication is the key, instead of working extremely hard. Yes, you need to work hard, but setting a healthy relationship with your supervisor and co-workers have more impact on continuing. I also realized that my problem at previous work was my co-worker, who was set up as "buddy" for me to adapt to work life and company culture, couldn't stand me. He simply didn't like me and put me through hard conditions, I responded sometimes good, sometimes bad, then he probably told my supervisor that he doesn't want to see me anymore. My supervisor didn't tell me this obviously but this is my final observation. Life is like that sometimes, 50 iterations of thinking and 50 different results, with last one making more sense.

My new job is much better. From the beginning my co-workers and supervisor show me respect. They were so sincere and eager to teach, so far it is going pretty good.

The more days went by, the more I acknowledged that my previous co-worker was acting douche towards me. He even slipped a fact that he preferred a friend of his for the job instead of me, should have gotten the clue.

But, none of these observations would come up to my mind without your valued suggestions! To all the users that replied there, thank you so much. Your opinions helped me to collect my thoughts and have a different perspective to the situation I was put in.

Thank you so much. I love this forum.

Best,

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 3:23 am

Never give up. Do not worry too much about adapting, as to the right job you will fit in. You may try a few jobs before finding one in which you will be a blessing to your employer and the ones you will work with and they will be a blessing to you.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 5:57 am

Congratulations on the new job!