Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

GrayscaleRainbow
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Dec 2022, 7:11 pm

I have worked in various call center positions for the better part of 10 years. Before then, I was at least aware of the existence of call centers. But over these 10 years, I have constantly come into contact with people who seem to have not the foggiest idea what a call center is. The people who call in and ask to speak to "Mark", as if I know all of the other 20 to 100 employees in my local center alone. They never know any actually identification, and get upset when I tell them that there's no earthly way that I could find out who "Mark" is, or if he's working today, or what his personal contact number is.

Is this an NT thing? Related is the whole, "If I gush out my life story, you'll definitely give me a discount/loophole" logic. Do they not realize that as an employee, I deal with hundreds of calls a day, and couldn't give any less whether you're deaf, blind, have cancer, or your dad died last week. It would cost me my job to just give you free stuff, so why do these people even bother asking? If they aren't asking for something in return, then they're simply wasting time that I could spend on other people with actual problems. It just seems super obvious to me to answer the questions asked by the agent. Any extra information only bogs down the call and makes it last longer. If they ask for my name, I give it. I only give my SSN and phone number upon request. Most of the time, I can settle whatever I called about within 15 minutes.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 11:03 pm

GrayscaleRainbow wrote:
I have worked in various call center positions for the better part of 10 years. Before then, I was at least aware of the existence of call centers. But over these 10 years, I have constantly come into contact with people who seem to have not the foggiest idea what a call center is. The people who call in and ask to speak to "Mark", as if I know all of the other 20 to 100 employees in my local center alone. They never know any actually identification, and get upset when I tell them that there's no earthly way that I could find out who "Mark" is, or if he's working today, or what his personal contact number is.

Is this an NT thing? Related is the whole, "If I gush out my life story, you'll definitely give me a discount/loophole" logic. Do they not realize that as an employee, I deal with hundreds of calls a day, and couldn't give any less whether you're deaf, blind, have cancer, or your dad died last week. It would cost me my job to just give you free stuff, so why do these people even bother asking? If they aren't asking for something in return, then they're simply wasting time that I could spend on other people with actual problems. It just seems super obvious to me to answer the questions asked by the agent. Any extra information only bogs down the call and makes it last longer. If they ask for my name, I give it. I only give my SSN and phone number upon request. Most of the time, I can settle whatever I called about within 15 minutes.

Its generally not a good idea to give out your SSN to people on the phone.Is it your work's policy at the call center to give out your social security number?I am sorry if I am confused.