Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 2:57 pm

I still want to find a job, because I hardly have meltdowns anymore after a medication change.

But... I have several ideas and they are contradictory...

Because I've been building my credit I got a credit increase, and I'm thinking of what best to use it for.

Try to get a vehicle first:
I keep losing job opportunities because I have no vehicle, and they don't consider the busses here reliable transportation and they run at strange times. Some of these, especially in the nearby metro areas, are really good. I am trying to haggle a payment plan with one of the residents in this building for one of his vehicles (my credit/income not good enough for a loan other than the card increase)
But there are consderations for cost of insurance, gas, etc...

Find a remote position first:
I'm writing articles on FB and LinkedIn to try to get attention. But I'm having no luck in this area either.

Move to a bigger city first:
I don't know if I want to bother with moving again, but there is an income cap on these apartments (not sure what it is, but they're low income subsidized apartments.) If I commute to a good job I'd lose my apartment ironically... In a bigger city less likely to need a car though.

Take the GRE:
I could try to get into Grad school and make my application look better by studying for and taking the GRE test, but it's a $200 test...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 4:05 pm

Definitely get a car…..

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 4:10 pm

Get a car while you look for remote work.

If you can't find remote work, use the car for interviews.

Do your GRE after Christmas, since this school year already started.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 6:46 pm

The dude in my apartment complex, well actually one of the residents boyfriends whose there a lot, anyway happened to be talking about all his cars in front of me earlier today after I was thinking of getting a car and he's interested in working with me. I mean probably not the best car (the ones I've seen him drive are older) but I'd be a start!

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 7:16 pm

You need a car that can get you from point A to point B.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 9:26 pm

get a toyota, nissan if it's older, honda, lincoln, pickups are easy to work on but overall be careful with what you buy- carsurvey.org is a good place to see what people said about the cars or you can look and see what recalls the model has had in the past. You don't want some big money pit.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 3:25 am

Honda and Toyota are probably your best bets.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 4:49 am

Zipcar

Lyft

Uber

Motorcycle cheaper than car, sometimes

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 5:40 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Zipcar

Lyft

Uber

Motorcycle cheaper than car, sometimes

Those companies are not in my town. My town has a curb to curb bus system whos fare is going up next month that only runs mornings and early afternoon, and a taxi that charges $50 for a couple of miles......
The bus fare... It would cost over $100/month now to go somewhere every day it runs... I can't stand it. The bus system has no connections to the metro areas so close to here. But the dude I am talking too only has run down cars. Remember, I get $800/month SSI. And the people who live here refuse to give rides to me, even offering gas money, even though they do each other, once I twisted my ankle and they wouldn't take me to get it looked at. My social workers realize it's an issue and I'm losing jobs over it, but they can't help either.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 5:42 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Honda and Toyota are probably your best bets.

Subarus are good as well.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 5:45 am

A car is by far the best option.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 2:55 pm

Okay it's one of those days...

First a friend of mine was sent to a major hospital, I don't wanna give details but it could be bad...

But car and job-wise, first the dude quotes me a number for that car way outta my ballpark.

Then I get an invitation for a job interview for an out of state AmeriCorps position. I was happy before they sent a second email stating it was in-person in a couple days... How in the world would ANYBODY drive several hundred miles for an interview in a couple days on short notice unless they had a good chunk of money??? I mean seriously asking too much :?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 3:42 pm

Car trumps all others.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 10:11 pm

Angnix wrote:
I still want to find a job, because I hardly have meltdowns anymore after a medication change.

But... I have several ideas and they are contradictory...

Because I've been building my credit I got a credit increase, and I'm thinking of what best to use it for.

Try to get a vehicle first:
I keep losing job opportunities because I have no vehicle, and they don't consider the busses here reliable transportation and they run at strange times. Some of these, especially in the nearby metro areas, are really good. I am trying to haggle a payment plan with one of the residents in this building for one of his vehicles (my credit/income not good enough for a loan other than the card increase)
But there are consderations for cost of insurance, gas, etc...

Find a remote position first:
I'm writing articles on FB and LinkedIn to try to get attention. But I'm having no luck in this area either.

Move to a bigger city first:
I don't know if I want to bother with moving again, but there is an income cap on these apartments (not sure what it is, but they're low income subsidized apartments.) If I commute to a good job I'd lose my apartment ironically... In a bigger city less likely to need a car though.

Take the GRE:
I could try to get into Grad school and make my application look better by studying for and taking the GRE test, but it's a $200 test...

You mentioned that you have ok credit now- there is always the possibility of getting a few thousand dollar loan to buy a vehicle. Though you would have to find a car with a good resell value otherwise the bank will not loan you the money. (toyotas generally hold their value the best)

Someone else suggested a subaru but there is a lot that can go wrong in a subaru so I would definitely say stay away from them (unless you have someone who works on cars and will do so for you)

You should look online at glassdoor.com and search remote jobs- there are lots of entry level customer service jobs (though you would have to communicate all day) or just search remote as the location and see if anything sparks your interest. When you find a job you are interested in restructure your resume to match whatever the job is- that's what they say to do to make you standout. Once you have applied see if you can get in contact over the phone or email to try and get your foot in the door (you are just a piece of paper in a stack until they have a voice or a face which is why it's good to show up in person or over the phone etc) that seems to work best in my experience.

You might also get a book called "what color is my parachute" to help you narrow down your direction in life.

Or another tact would be to go through the future authoring program that jordan peterson developed.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 8:03 am

Yep. Insurance is expensive. Especially if you don’t have a good driving record. Gas can be expensive, too.

Overall, though, a car gives you much more flexibility when it comes to getting jobs…..and getting anywhere, really.