Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 8:45 am

So...I'm planning to move to an entirely different state next Fall and back to living in a small town.

Big cities make me worse. While I have enjoyed some things about it, I really do not enjoy it. Small towns are much more manageable for me.

This move is exciting, and I cannot wait, but I have to go through the business of trying to find another job, which is making me so nervous I want to throw up. It took me forever to find my current job after applying to about 40+ different places in my old town, and in the city I am in. The biggest reason why I moved to the city is because of finding a job.

Now I am afraid I will have to face that problem again. I don't know what I'd do without a job, I have some savings, and I'll be sharing a place. Student loans are going to pick up again, and I have other things to worry about like my health and 401k.

I dunno. THis is just a vent and I'm asking how I can be more prepared for when I have to leave and find a new job? I'm so nervous I'm going to deal with the same problems I have now with my current job, or I will find one way worse, or I'll be trapped in a situation where I am forced to find something out of my field just to make ends meet??

I apologizes for bouncing all over the place. I can't get this thought out of my head and each day brings me closer.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 9:22 am

Hmm... well, you could try to save more money if finding the new job takes a while. Like, start making the cheapest foods you can without making them too unhealthy, don't eat out or do it less, don't go to movies etc. Just cut down the unnecessary expenses as much as you can so that you'll have extra savings that'll help you while you look for a new job. Of course, if you're already in a situation where you can only afford the absolute necessaries, then it's gonna be trickier...

Could you already start job hunting? Having a job by the time you move would probably make things less stressing. It's not uncommon (I think) to make a contract several months before starting, though I'm sure it also depends on what you do.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 11:36 am

Fireblossom wrote:
Hmm... well, you could try to save more money if finding the new job takes a while. Like, start making the cheapest foods you can without making them too unhealthy, don't eat out or do it less, don't go to movies etc. Just cut down the unnecessary expenses as much as you can so that you'll have extra savings that'll help you while you look for a new job. Of course, if you're already in a situation where you can only afford the absolute necessaries, then it's gonna be trickier...

Could you already start job hunting? Having a job by the time you move would probably make things less stressing. It's not uncommon (I think) to make a contract several months before starting, though I'm sure it also depends on what you do.

I've been saving some money and have a bit to rely on, but you are right about saving way more. I need to cut down on any unnecessary purchases and try to cook a lot more at home. Might look into some meal prepping. I might also try to sell some items I don't need.

I have been looking for jobs as well, but I'm held back that I can't really break the lease of my place until October.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?