Most of the time, it seems BS. 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
 Pure, hot, steaming BS. 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
 I am unemployed or retired. 50%  50%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 26

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2023, 8:07 pm

According to anthropologist David Graeber, a BS job is defined as, ". . . a form of paid employment that is so completely pointless, unnecessary, or pernicious that even the employee cannot justify its existence; even though, as part of the conditions of employment, the employee feels obliged to pretend that this is not the case."

Link to Relevant Essay 

Please consider participating in the attached poll.  You may select only one option, and you may change your selection at any time.

If you participate in the poll, then please leave a comment.

If you leave a comment, then please participate in the poll.

This is not a poll about philosophy, politics, or religion; it is not a poll about who has the greater advantage in employment; and it is not a poll about how you cannot find a boyfriend or girlfriend, or any other personal problems you may have.  Please stay on topic, and be respectful of other members.

Thank you.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2023, 8:36 pm

Retired.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2023, 8:59 pm

^ Same.  Some of my earlier jobs seemed almost pure BS*.  Busywork that undid what I had accomplished the previous day, or that duplicated the work of others.  Driving across town to deliver packages that could just as easily have been sent by bonded courier.  Making gallons of coffee for meetings that were never announced.  Useless, pointless busywork.

*You already know what it means.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2023, 9:14 pm

I don't think any of my past jobs were BS but there were definitely questionable elements, e.g. double handling of things was always a bugbear of mine.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2023, 10:06 pm

Retired.

My career was not BS. I wish there'd been even moments of BS but it was all very demanding, and I had to be accountable. At times I felt like I had Imposter Syndrome because I knew I wasn't doing the job as well as I should have been, but there was never a moment's slack.

Part-Time jobs prior to career: Uh (trying to remember what they even were ...) - No. Darn. I was hoping I'd think of some funny anecdotes but I always had a lot of responsibility.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 10:29 am

I was a government employee. So, of course, it was pure BS.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 11:33 am

Pushing shopping carts is bs. Customers can get their own.

Loading merchandise is not bs

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 11:49 am

I’m retired. But I consider I worked at a BS job for 30+ plus years. I often felt that if I hadn’t turned up for 30 years it wouldn’t have made the slightest difference to anyone.

I worked as an auditor in the public sector. My bosses though highly of me, until I went to pieces in the last two years.

On the other hand, I played in a band at weekends and entertained a lot of people.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 11:50 am

Honey69 wrote:
I was a government employee. So, of course, it was pure BS.

:lol:

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 11:59 am

Trueno wrote:
My bosses though highly of me, until I went to pieces in the last two years.

:( Bastards.

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

06 May 2023, 2:42 pm

I've spent most of my working life in R&D environments, I love science but Capitalism poisons everything in my view. I'm just glad I never did retail or the "Defense " Industry again.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 3:03 pm

My job is not BS at the moment, just hard. I feed and clean pens/rooms with lab animals dogs(beagles specifically) and cats.

Apparently unfortunately some medications for pets and people still need to be tested on such animals, so I help keep those animals fed and their enclosures clean and pet them and give them attention to make their days a bit better. Like someone needs to do it and I am one of the people who does. Of course I would like if it wasn't nessisary for animals like that to be in a lab, but we aren't there yet as society so I feel like I at least can give those animals some nice interactions, and those animals like me for sure so much I constantly get cat scratches everywhere, they aren't pets so some of them don't seem to realize their claws hurt humans like they don't really scratch intentionally but with untrimmed claws it hurts regardless of why they do it so yeah even currently I have some cat scratches on my back healing because of a cat in one room I clean that always jumps up on my back the second it gets a chance and last time it startled me doing that so I yelled in suprise and it panicked but got it's claw stuck in my back for a minute so certainly left more of a hole than a scratch But yeah I have been starting to look for other jobs because its hard for me not to get attatched and such so don't think I can stick with it long term, But it is a necessary job so cannot say it is BS.

I like working with animals though so I would like to continue that kind of thing, I guess I'd just rather work with animals that are for sure going to a home or some place they can live and thrive...like there are depressing aspect of my current job for sure. but yeah working with animals means scratches and bruises because they claw and crash, so you have to get a little used to that but its no problem for me as those thing heal.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 3:57 pm

^ That sound like a horrible & depressing job SL.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 4:28 pm

If BS is supposed to stand for bull s**t then no, my job is not a BS job. It's a very cushy job. But the bad side to that is I'm poor because it's not the most highest paying job. But for someone with a small brain it's all I can do.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2023, 2:21 am

Recidivist wrote:
Trueno wrote:
My bosses though highly of me, until I went to pieces in the last two years.

:( Bastards.

Your comment has warmed me cockles. Cheers!

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

traven
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2023, 2:48 am

job? what's that :mrgreen:
i had some bs, but its hard to get one,
i don't like shopping that's a plus, and a minus,
stupidest the extra money went to hard drugs, not an improvement

the longest, at the tax office, not unpleasant, but after a year(time to pledge) the middle school attitude was enough,
plus the domestic violence problems, pregnant in the woman shelter, which was a positive experience (it was very empty then otherwise maybe it wouldn't)