Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2007, 7:05 pm

ike wrote:
Hmmm... well I suppose it would have to depend on circumstance, but I've never heard of someone being offended by South Park or the Family Guy because they were conservative. They've never struck me as particularly "liberal" shows honestly. Anyway I'm apt to think you don't have much to be concerned about there.

I can't really picture the ultra-conservative religious guys watching those shows, any more than I can picture a tree-hugger watching the 700 Club.

Another issue I have that would make me liberal is that I feel that it is ok for two people in a committed relationship to live together, regardless of whether or not they are married.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ike
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2007, 8:29 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
ike wrote:
Hmmm... well I suppose it would have to depend on circumstance, but I've never heard of someone being offended by South Park or the Family Guy because they were conservative. They've never struck me as particularly "liberal" shows honestly. Anyway I'm apt to think you don't have much to be concerned about there.

I can't really picture the ultra-conservative religious guys watching those shows, any more than I can picture a tree-hugger watching the 700 Club.

Ahh okay... well yeah, I imagine the 700 Club types or the Jerry Falwell types are likely not watching South Park or the Family Guy ... though those folks are at the extreme end of the spectrum. In any given major metropolitan area (i.e. don't put yourself out in the country in the Styx), most people are going to be more moderate - closer to the middle.

Tim_Tex wrote:
Another issue I have that would make me liberal is that I feel that it is ok for two people in a committed relationship to live together, regardless of whether or not they are married.

That's a fairly popular belief these days, even amongst many self-identified conservatives. It's another one of those "stay in a 'metropolitan' area and you'll be okay" kind of things. I can't imagine either of these things being an issue here in Austin -- this town is way too liberal for either of those things to get you in trouble. At least not being a geologist... If you were looking to find some kind of work with fundamentalist churches specifically (and I'm sure there are a couple even here) then maybe... but not just being generically around town.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2007, 7:10 am

ike wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
ike wrote:

Ahh okay... well yeah, I imagine the 700 Club types or the Jerry Falwell types are likely not watching South Park or the Family Guy ... though those folks are at the extreme end of the spectrum. In any given major metropolitan area (i.e. don't put yourself out in the country in the Styx), most people are going to be more moderate - closer to the middle.

Tim_Tex wrote:

That's a fairly popular belief these days, even amongst many self-identified conservatives. It's another one of those "stay in a 'metropolitan' area and you'll be okay" kind of things. I can't imagine either of these things being an issue here in Austin -- this town is way too liberal for either of those things to get you in trouble. At least not being a geologist... If you were looking to find some kind of work with fundamentalist churches specifically (and I'm sure there are a couple even here) then maybe... but not just being generically around town.

The college I will be attending next week is not in a major metro area. It is in Wichita Falls, Texas. The nearest metro area, Dallas-Ft. Worth, is 115 miles away. I will not meet the type of person I am looking for, unless someone from another part of the country/world mysteriously drops everything and moves to Wichita Falls.

Tim

ike
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2007, 8:49 am

ike wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

The college I will be attending next week is not in a major metro area. It is in Wichita Falls, Texas. The nearest metro area, Dallas-Ft. Worth, is 115 miles away. I will not meet the type of person I am looking for, unless someone from another part of the country/world mysteriously drops everything and moves to Wichita Falls.[/quote]

Well yeah, that kinda sucks. Wichita Falls is closer to Texarkana right? ... Anyway I was really thinking of (or talking about) where you choose to live after you graduate and have your geology degree.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2007, 3:47 am

Wichita Falls is about 115 miles northwest of the Metroplex. It is almost halfway between the Metroplex and Lubbock (in the Panhandle).

WF is also 150 miles southwest of Oklahoma City.

Tim

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 7:41 am

Which would produce more results?

(a) trying to live in Seattle and struggling to pay the rent

(b) convincing people to "quit being conservative"

Tim

ike
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 2:50 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Which would produce more results?

(a) trying to live in Seattle and struggling to pay the rent

(b) convincing people to "quit being conservative"

I just don't think that's really the choice you're faced with, based on what you've said about being liberal. What you've described doesn't sound to me like it's especially out on the liberal end of the spectrum. Leaning more in the direction of liberalism than in the direction of conservatism, that's true. But I think there are a lot of cities where you wouldn't have to worry much about everyone being real conservative. Specifically larger metropolitan areas, like Chicago, Detroit, LA, Portland, Seattle, etc. although Austin might work for you too in spite of being a smaller town. Though what I'm getting at is I think in a larger metro area like Chicago, Portland, etc. you're going to find that you don't run into many people who watch the 700 club -- their viewers seem to be in the minority in these big metro areas. You said in another thread that you're monogamous, so that won't be an issue for you, and I imagine you're heterosexual, although even if you were gay, there are lots of big towns where you wouldn't be hassled. So you're pretty "low profile" and I really don't think you'd be a target for harassment. I myself am bisexual and polyamorous and as far as I know, those are the only liberal philosophies that have ever gotten me in trouble in any of the cities I've lived (Dallas, Ft Lauderdale, Austin, Charlottesville VA -- I would recommend staying away from any city in VA with the possible exception of Arlington). Even then the only reason those have got me in trouble in any of those cities is as a result of my having a big mouth in the office and putting my foot in it socially speaking. I've never been harassed about those things in a social setting, it's only cost me a few jobs as a result of employers misunderstanding and being uncomfortable.

It looks like the 700 Club actually may be losing its venue even... http://www.secinfo.com/dsvrt.73Vq.htm ... looks like Fox bought the station(s) that aired it and are only continuing to air it to honor existing contracts. Not sure what's likely to happen to them once the contracts end -- it doesn't seem like the kind of show Fox is really interested in, so who knows if they'll be able to find another network interested in the show.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2007, 9:56 am

So, in other words, the entire Pacific Northwest is liberal, and it's not confined to Seattle?

Tim

ike
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2007, 1:26 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
So, in other words, the entire Pacific Northwest is liberal, and it's not confined to Seattle?

I would say, if you stay in the big cities, the entire west coast.

Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego are going to be your hot spots.

That's my assessment. Your mileage may vary, although at a minimum, you're going to find those cities to be much more liberal than Wichita Falls.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2007, 7:24 pm

ike wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

I would say, if you stay in the big cities, the entire west coast.

Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego are going to be your hot spots.

That's my assessment. Your mileage may vary, although at a minimum, you're going to find those cities to be much more liberal than Wichita Falls.

And in addition to being liberal, anyone I date would still have to be an Aspie, no matter where it is I live. I am pretty much looking for someone who doesn't exist.

Tim

near
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Aug 2007, 12:27 am

I live in Lynnwood which is north of Seattle by about 30 min. The rent around here isn't as high, and you get a LOT more room.

ike
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2007, 12:50 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
And in addition to being liberal, anyone I date would still have to be an Aspie, no matter where it is I live. I am pretty much looking for someone who doesn't exist.

Well, slim though your odds may be, your odds there are better in a big city also... I know (because I asked in the general discussion forum :D) that there's an aspie community in Portland. How large it is, I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure at least one aspie woman in the general forum had mentioned attending one of their picnics.

bobert
Toucan
Toucan

30 Aug 2007, 5:55 pm

Tim-Tex, my cousin is a freelance geologist with an MBA in business. He gets a lot of work in remote locations, like Northern Canada and Eastern Arizona. He doesn't have a life when he's working, but he makes tons of money. Maybe you could get a geology gig in some far flung locale, to start, and save enough to settle down in Seattle.

Once you get there you could find one of those high tech, highly paid, aspie chick, Microsoft programmers, and live happily ever after.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 1:46 pm

ike wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Well, slim though your odds may be, your odds there are better in a big city also... I know (because I asked in the general discussion forum :D) that there's an aspie community in Portland. How large it is, I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure at least one aspie woman in the general forum had mentioned attending one of their picnics.

It can't just be any big city. There is only one Aspie woman in Houston who is single, and she is very conservative. There were two that were liberal, but they both had boyfriends.

I limit myself to other Aspies because no NT would want to be with me.

Tim

ike
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 3:36 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
It can't just be any big city. There is only one Aspie woman in Houston who is single, and she is very conservative. There were two that were liberal, but they both had boyfriends.

The more we get out and attend those aspie picnics, the more we advocate for our rights, the more we raise awareness of autism, the more aspie women will be at those picnics. There may not be many right now, but the statistics for AS and other ASD diagnoses are increasing in number. Stick with it. You may not find another aspie for a long time or ever, but your odds are better in a big city, and getting what you want out of life is all about increasing your odds.

Tim_Tex wrote:

I'm not convinced that's true either... although as an aspie person it may be somewhat difficult to distinguish between an NT person who likes you as a person and an NT person who views you as a "project" or is interested in you because they need to feel like someone needs them. I think there's a pop-psychology term for that, where a person latches on to someone with an illness or handicap because they need to be a caregiver to feel a sense of self worth. Where their self-worth is dependent upon the other person being reliant on them.

Though I really think it's possible that just about any of us could find an NT person who enjoys our company and who likes us as a person. I'm in that kind of relationship myself right now. (I'm not so sure about my ex.) Tiffany and I are together because we have similar views, similar values and enjoy each other's company. She scores in the normal NT range on the self-administered tests, I score in the average AS range. If you score in the extreme upper end of those tests, it may be a bit more of a challenge, but I don't think it's ever hopeless. And I think it's important not to get into a habit of thinking anything is hopeless -- check out a book titled the Luck Factor and figure out how to apply it to your own life.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2007, 8:04 pm

ike wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

The more we get out and attend those aspie picnics, the more we advocate for our rights, the more we raise awareness of autism, the more aspie women will be at those picnics. There may not be many right now, but the statistics for AS and other ASD diagnoses are increasing in number. Stick with it. You may not find another aspie for a long time or ever, but your odds are better in a big city, and getting what you want out of life is all about increasing your odds.

Tim_Tex wrote:

I'm not convinced that's true either... although as an aspie person it may be somewhat difficult to distinguish between an NT person who likes you as a person and an NT person who views you as a "project" or is interested in you because they need to feel like someone needs them. I think there's a pop-psychology term for that, where a person latches on to someone with an illness or handicap because they need to be a caregiver to feel a sense of self worth. Where their self-worth is dependent upon the other person being reliant on them.

Though I really think it's possible that just about any of us could find an NT person who enjoys our company and who likes us as a person. I'm in that kind of relationship myself right now. (I'm not so sure about my ex.) Tiffany and I are together because we have similar views, similar values and enjoy each other's company. She scores in the normal NT range on the self-administered tests, I score in the average AS range. If you score in the extreme upper end of those tests, it may be a bit more of a challenge, but I don't think it's ever hopeless. And I think it's important not to get into a habit of thinking anything is hopeless -- check out a book titled the Luck Factor and figure out how to apply it to your own life.

The Aspie in Houston (the one who is conservative) is someone I've known for almost 5 years, and one of only three Aspies I have met in person.

Tim