Why is finding a job so difficult?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

organicbutcher
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Feb 2023, 5:49 am

It's a very frustrating situation for me lately to gain more part-time work. I know that my burnout and gaps between jobs might be 'deterring' to some employers--but it's no secret that we with autism sometimes have trouble holding down a job for a long time. Retail is my only option right now, but why can't it be simpler? Why can't I just send in a resume, have an interview, and say, "I'd like a job stocking shelves, and to work at my own pace, at morning hours only with nothing in the afternoon or evening?" and then I get the job. I've worked in retail before, and it's really odd that they cannot 'be flexible' yet expect the employees to be flexible. The entire nature of retail is flexible, but...

Has anyone else lately had similar woes? I can't work in something full-time, especially considering a commute.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 5:55 am

I understand how you feel. Sometimes I wish I could go to work when I want. But unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

Quote:
Why can't I just send in a resume, have an interview, and say, "I'd like a job stocking shelves, and to work at my own pace, at morning hours only with nothing in the afternoon or evening?" and then I get the job.

I feel ya. This is impractical in the working world but I understand where you're coming from. Be nice if you could pick and choose your hours. Be nice if you could pick and choose your co-workers too. :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 6:08 am

Why is your only choice retail? Why not health care?

Health care jobs will rise and rise over the coming years.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 7:00 am

I've been for interviews where I've been able to do the job....then they ask silly abstract questions like what is your motivation for taking this job, and how would you describe yourself in three words,or describe a situation where you did this.
I try my best to answer then I get a rejection letter.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 7:03 am

You won’t get that with health care. The need is too great.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 10:46 am

Your post does not contain enough information to answer the question "why"

It could be a lot of different reasons

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 2:33 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You won’t get that with health care. The need is too great.

Unfortunately it's infected the carer jobs. I think a year or two ago they wouldn't ask those q's

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 11:33 pm

Not in the US.

All you need is a certificate or degree. They’re desperate for all sorts of health care workers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 5:42 am

They're desperate for care workers because most people don't want to do it.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 5:46 am

Ok I'm heading over there... Look out kortie...

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 9:47 am

Too many restrictions on what you want in a job perhaps ?

Corporate retail giants are going to have set schedules of when inventory is arriving, when the store is open, when they receive the information from head office Or on site store location data about re-stocking etc and have system wide routines of when things get done and prepped for the day or shift etc.. kind of hard to get them to alter those systems and patterns to accommodate One stock person. The job is this task from this time to this time on these days, take it or leave it. Altering their flow of work for one person at one location just throws a wrench in things that management just doesn't have the time or desire to deal with in most cases.

You might find that an independent small business might be more flexible in accommodating the type of work and hours you want. Maybe at some small family owned hardware store it doesn't matter one bit if the shelves get stocked in the morning or evening, it just has to be done. Maybe the last person that did it was a student so did it after school, but they might be totally fine with just shifting it to early morning. I'd try applying at independent businesses vs. corporate chain retailers if I were you.

NobodyNothingJr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Mar 2023, 11:49 pm

I have a similar situation, I have to work part time on a set schedule I have gaps but luckily one job I had for 5 year that one is on my resume and those supervisors are my reference and a friend of mine is my fake reference. I typically lie to employers about only being available on certain days. For example, I’ll say I can only work Friday, Saturday, Sunday before 5 pm. I try to be vague but if they ask why I say I take care of an elderly family member and that shuts them up fairly quickly. This works often for me although, I work as receptionist and admin assistant. It’s easy to get into being a receptionist but you have to deal with customers.

Health care reception is good because less complaints. Hotels with very good reviews aren’t usually too bad, there is a check out rush in the morning but after that it’s dead. Campgrounds are also pretty decent for reception work.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 9:11 pm

organicbutcher wrote:
...but it's no secret that we with autism sometimes have trouble holding down a job for a long time.

Except when it's an inclusive, flexible environment and then the companies can't get rid of us. :twisted:
Too bad there are too few of those. I really hope you can find that's as close as possible to what you need!! Come on Universe, some ease for organicbutcher, please!