Should I take this online course to help me get job?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Sep 2009
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,012
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

19 Sep 2023, 3:22 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I am also interested in a preaching career but I prolly would not get hired because I am single and unmarried.


Catholic priests have to take a vow of celibacy which is kind of the opposite of having to get married and have kids.

What about the Salvation Army? They have special colleges where they train people to be religious officers and run churches. The only thing is that you're not allowed to drink, smoke or take drugs.

Maybe start as a Jehovah's Witness? Start by visiting people door to door and go from there.

But, realistically, I think going into a religion with a career-focused agenda is a bad idea because it's supposed to be about your faith in that religion and if you don't have a sincere belief you won't be a very good preacher.



BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Age: 60
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,040

19 Sep 2023, 6:43 am

You need to get lucky and have someone hire you for something you can do well.
Then you can prove you can be a reliable worker who gets stuff done.

I know a senior editor making big bucks now that started off with a low paying data entry job!
She took time off to raise two kids and started from the bottom and worked her way up.



blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2011
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,511
Location: United Kingdom

19 Sep 2023, 8:42 am

Employers typically value work experience more than degrees these days. Unless you have a good degree in a STEM subject perhaps, which might make a difference in terms of hiring.

Some jobs require a degree also, but the job market values degrees less than ever, in general.

If you really want a job, you may have to 'brute force' applications, i.e, send so many that there might just be one that will respond favourably.



GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

Joined: 11 Jun 2023
Gender: Female
Posts: 114

19 Sep 2023, 8:55 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Are there ChatGPT or prompt engineering certifications available?


ChatgGPT falls under AI/ML. There are certs (I have one) but I had to know Python beforehand.



Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,405
Location: Abbottistan

19 Sep 2023, 10:10 am

GeekyFreak wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Are there ChatGPT or prompt engineering certifications available?


ChatgGPT falls under AI/ML. There are certs (I have one) but I had to know Python beforehand.


Are the certs of which you speak the once advertised by the universities? I see the ads on my FB feed often.


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!


GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

Joined: 11 Jun 2023
Gender: Female
Posts: 114

19 Sep 2023, 12:16 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
GeekyFreak wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Are there ChatGPT or prompt engineering certifications available?


ChatgGPT falls under AI/ML. There are certs (I have one) but I had to know Python beforehand.


Are the certs of which you speak the once advertised by the universities? I see the ads on my FB feed often.


Sometimes yes but I'd avoid some. Corsera and Google I heard were ok. Heard Great Learning was awful.



Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,405
Location: Abbottistan

19 Sep 2023, 1:41 pm

GeekyFreak wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
GeekyFreak wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Are there ChatGPT or prompt engineering certifications available?


ChatgGPT falls under AI/ML. There are certs (I have one) but I had to know Python beforehand.


Are the certs of which you speak the once advertised by the universities? I see the ads on my FB feed often.


Sometimes yes but I'd avoid some. Corsera and Google I heard were ok. Heard Great Learning was awful.


I took a Data Science course on Udemy a few years ago. I was just wondering which course providers employers look kindly upon.


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!


GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

Joined: 11 Jun 2023
Gender: Female
Posts: 114

19 Sep 2023, 3:01 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
GeekyFreak wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
GeekyFreak wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Are there ChatGPT or prompt engineering certifications available?


ChatgGPT falls under AI/ML. There are certs (I have one) but I had to know Python beforehand.


Are the certs of which you speak the once advertised by the universities? I see the ads on my FB feed often.


Sometimes yes but I'd avoid some. Corsera and Google I heard were ok. Heard Great Learning was awful.


I took a Data Science course on Udemy a few years ago. I was just wondering which course providers employers look kindly upon.


Honestly seems like ATS will drop people if it doesn't detect a degree. Kind of silly in my opinion. Sure ed is great but computers are a language just like any other language. I know people that can program with their eyes closed because they decided to teach themselves and stuck with it.



Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,405
Location: Abbottistan

19 Sep 2023, 4:55 pm

I have a degree, but it's in an unrelated field (I am having to switch careers because of a lack of opportunities in my field of study)


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!


GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

Joined: 11 Jun 2023
Gender: Female
Posts: 114

19 Sep 2023, 6:51 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I have a degree, but it's in an unrelated field (I am having to switch careers because of a lack of opportunities in my field of study)


Gotcha. I'm in the same boat but I have other CIS programming classes on my actual college transcript too. Not sure if it matters because I don't think ATS cares.

Fingers crossed for the both of us!



Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,405
Location: Abbottistan

19 Sep 2023, 11:25 pm

GeekyFreak wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
I have a degree, but it's in an unrelated field (I am having to switch careers because of a lack of opportunities in my field of study)


Gotcha. I'm in the same boat but I have other CIS programming classes on my actual college transcript too. Not sure if it matters because I don't think ATS cares.

Fingers crossed for the both of us!


I hate ATS.


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!


Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2021
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,245
Location: Texas

23 Sep 2023, 1:04 am

GeekyFreak wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
DoniiMann wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I dont really have any passion to work in the field of data I am just trying to get a career going. Also I dont really have any desire to work a 9 to 5 for the rest of my life even if it is well-paying.


Seems to me that a career is devoting to a specific field of employment for the long term, developing your skills and work experience in that field. That's the opposite of survival jobs where you take anything available.

Careers are a great idea for people on the spectrum... IF it's in a field you're interested in. If you're not interested, then maybe a survival job might be better. At least you won't be committing long term to something you don't like.

My advice is to pursue a career in something you would like to do for a long time. Something you're happy to develop.

Well I have been trying to pursue a career in the oilfield which is something I would be happy to do for a long time but nobody will give me the time of day.I just have to pursue it on the side with my dad because nobody will hire me.I am also interested in a preaching career but I prolly would not get hired because I am single and unmarried.


Which position did you try in the oil field? Its more of an industry than an actual field. Sort of like how retail and medical are industries but B2B sales and oncology would be fields.

Independent Landman/Lease broker



Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2021
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,245
Location: Texas

23 Sep 2023, 1:56 am

GeekyFreak wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
People around Texas use the term oilfield interchangebly with the word "oil industry" or oil business. I have a small independent oil production company with my dad but its microsopic in size.I would like to expand it at some point.I tried to get on with any role that required a degree but I never could and I got told by a job coach that the blue collar oilfield jobs wont hire me because I am disabled.My goal is to get my own leases and get a lot more wells even if they are old stripper wells but nobody will give me and my dad the time of day.


Get a new job coach.

That would be discrimination. If you can physically and mentally work in the field, they will hire you. Although there is some debate on whether we should be disclosing disabilities to HR on the EEO forms.

If you want to expand your family business, get a business degree. It also covers some data analysis as well, but nowhere near as in depth. It also means that if clean energy overtakes oil in your lifetime, you won't be totally screwed.

But also ask yourself, is it what YOU want to do? I mean you came in here asking about a course in a stressful field you weren't even interested in. Are you actually interested in business and oil or just not sure where to go?

I have always wanted to be a business tycoon and church planter and intentional Christian community founder .Going to shool again for credit isnt an option because my parents wont pay it and they wont help me get accodations for my autism because they dont believe in getting academic accomadations in colleges if you are a disabled student like me.I am open to auditing business classes after I move but I think I know the basics because of all the books I have read plus there's YouTube.I
I know I came on here asking on how to get into a field that I dont know much about but I am just so desperate to get a full-time job that would allow me to live the American Dream.I thought that certificate was too good to be true and it appears I was right.Right now I am thinking of starting a thrift store company and church and be a financial coach.I am just trying to find my place in the world with no luck.I am willing to be miserable in a field and work hard for a few years if it means I can afford to move out of my parents house.

Drilling oil wells has always been one of my biggest passions in life and I am not ready to give up the dream yet.I went into college thinking I would be a tenure track university professor one day but I picked sociology as my major which caused to not want to pursue that because I got tired of conflict theory.So I have been waiting on the Texas state vocational rehab for the past 10 years roughly of being unemployed.I briefly worked a blue collar job in the freight industry but I got burned out horribly.My plans changed and life just happened I got sick and almost died a few times so that hurt my college career too.



Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 23 Sep 2023, 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2021
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,245
Location: Texas

23 Sep 2023, 3:26 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
Employers typically value work experience more than degrees these days. Unless you have a good degree in a STEM subject perhaps, which might make a difference in terms of hiring.

Some jobs require a degree also, but the job market values degrees less than ever, in general.

If you really want a job, you may have to 'brute force' applications, i.e, send so many that there might just be one that will respond favourably.

Ya I was planning on being a engineer but I just was not good at abstract math.Like I am good at number sense and mental math. Also oil companies at the time required their engineer hires to work blue collar and I just could not work for 16 hours to 24 hours straight.



Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2021
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,245
Location: Texas

23 Sep 2023, 3:55 am

EnglishInvader wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I am also interested in a preaching career but I prolly would not get hired because I am single and unmarried.


Catholic priests have to take a vow of celibacy which is kind of the opposite of having to get married and have kids.

What about the Salvation Army? They have special colleges where they train people to be religious officers and run churches. The only thing is that you're not allowed to drink, smoke or take drugs.

Maybe start as a Jehovah's Witness? Start by visiting people door to door and go from there.

But, realistically, I think going into a religion with a career-focused agenda is a bad idea because it's supposed to be about your faith in that religion and if you don't have a sincere belief you won't be a very good preacher.

Salvation Army is a no-go because its a whole different competing theology and belief system with the the church of Christ.Going to a Salvation Army College would be a giant red flag to the elders and deacons.My belief system is so different compared to a JW,Plus they would make m e to be in danger if you do that and the Witnesses may have moved away from knocking on doors.The Bible says that you should never muzzle the oxen and that the hardworkeing farmer is entitled to his pay.I think I would have to start out as a guest evangelist at small country churches of Christ to fill-in in exchange for honorariams and expense reimbursements from the congregations.Maybe do oher relgiious services for honoriams.

I could have it made if I eventually landed a pulpit minister job at a congregation comparable to my current one because I think my preacher makes 6 figures.There's a big shortgage of young men in the church in my generation and gen z who want to be preachers and that presents great opportunity for me because 60 percent of the churches dont have elders.I disagree with you because I think I would be a good preacher because I am sincere about the church of Christ......if I I wasnt sincere I could make so much more money if I did not care about the theology and the doctrines of the brotherhood.



GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

Joined: 11 Jun 2023
Gender: Female
Posts: 114

23 Sep 2023, 8:42 am

Hmmm I have a suggestion for you. I don't know much as an atheist but there seems to be a severe lack of loving online ministries. Many will be happy to tell you why you're going to Hell vs any teachings of the Bible. Maybe start there? Just as a loving Tiktok preacher? Then you might get revenue as a content creator. That way you're doing something you want to do.

Just be warned that hate messages will likely send you in the negatives. The internet is full of hateful preachers and nobody wants to hear about that.