How to escape the Office Christmas Party?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Scheherazade
Raven
Raven

07 Dec 2007, 9:49 pm

I desperately need an excuse to get out of the office christmas party next week! Is it really that offensive for me just not to go? I've gone for the last 2 years, and my department has expanded from 5 people to about 35. They'd hardly notice if I didn't go.

I have friends at work, but none of them work in my department. I actually have these weird, tense, hatred relationships with some people in my department. They're so normal they give me the creeps. I talk a lot to people I like, but if they're too boring to understand my humor I'm just really shy and antisocial with them. My boss used to think I hated him because I was shy around him. I do hate a couple of coworkers (er, not so much hate as loathe) but I never hated him.

So yeah. The last 2 christmas parties involved me sitting at a table, staring at people having a conversation. They tried to involve me but it was either dull or beyond my expertise (favorite ski resorts, cottage season, cheese, etc.) This year I can go and glare again, but now that there are people who work there that I hate and who I try to avoid as much as possible it's only going to be more torturous.

How do I get out of this? I don't care about advancement. I'm hoping to leave the job in a year and I don't want to work in the field again. Can I just not go?

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 10:00 pm

well, it depends. Are you performing any functions (catering, entertainment, whatever) that they'll miss? If there's 35 people, unless you're in management, they shouldn't mind too much.

I used to go to parties, and glom onto the one person I knew...terrible at mingling. Eventually I joined a band, and was up on stage, where it's a lot easier to deal with the crowd..;)

Parties are supposed to be fun. If you know that you won't have a good time, it's your call. Talk with some trusted co-workers, maybe in a general way, about the party. One of the party cliches is 'I loathe parties, dahling'..;) you could do that. Or, maybe something comes up....just can't make it, how was the party?

don't know if this helps, but good luck

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 10:04 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't go if you feel like that, if you make the choice not to go it will be a big weight lifted of your shoulders. Can't you make up an excuse saying you have some family coming round that day, come on you sound like a clever girl, i'm sure you can think of something. Don't put yourself through torture by going, you don't owe them anything. Just call it off and look forward to a fresh start in the new year.

psychedelic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Dec 2007, 12:13 am

I'm in the exact same situation. I was thinking of just not going, period. I don't think anyone would notice. In your case, it's hard to tell. If you have to go, I have tried propranolol and it seems to work in calming me down.

Astilius
Raven
Raven

08 Dec 2007, 1:26 am

There's nothing wrong with not going. If they were to object then they'd have told you by now.
There's nothing that could induce me to go to my work's christmas do.

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 2:13 am

Do what I did and get fired before the event :)

Sapphires
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Dec 2007, 7:58 am

Ask the manager if you can be exempt from it. Say that you know it's awkward for them to have you there, and it's equally as embarrassing/boring for you.

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 10:20 am

I just say that my son has something going on that night and I can't make it to the party. I would just say that you have some family plans and won't be able to attend. Nobody seems to question that excuse. My ultra NT boss is always arranging after work social events and I rarely go to them. I only go if it is dinner after work for a few hours.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2007, 3:52 am

If you don't want to lie, then just say you aren't feeling well enough to be at the party.
Do this the day of or the day before.... if it's a party that takes place outside of your work hours/place.

I believe it's just as legitimate to take time off if you are not feeling well mentally as when you are not feeling well physically.

I had a job I called up a couple of times to when I was feeling too depressed to perform my duties to the level I felt was best for the patients.
All I told them was I didn't feel well and would not be coming in that day.

You could do the same for the party.