Page 2 of 8 [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 9:47 pm

Morrissey wrote:
But...Andy Kaufman was a children's entertainer and then a stand up comedian, if he was indeed someone on the spectrum

Not to mention Marc Seger.

nirrti_rachelle wrote:
Middle school teacher.

High school teacher. :P

Mik
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Dec 2007, 10:25 pm

I agree with the ones that mentioned waiter/waitress, door-to-door salesman and public speaker. Those would be a nightmare!

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 10:33 pm

As far as comedy on stage, there are several aspies on this forum that are pretty good at comedy improv, taking someone's funny idea and building on it and sending it on to the next poster.

I'll bet aspy comedy improv troops would easily beat out NT ones on stage.

Cameo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Dec 2007, 10:44 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
Knife salesman for Vector Marketing/Cutco. (I almost ended up doing this, but quit on my first day.)

My boyfriend used to do that! He's NT though, and would probably make a great salesman.

Kwiksnax
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Dec 2007, 11:18 pm

Ana54 wrote:

nirrti_rachelle wrote:
Middle school teacher.

High school teacher. :P

I'm mild Asperger's and am currently in a post-grad Secondary School teacher training program. I also have experience teaching English to middle and high school kids in South Korea.

The social situations while teaching can get very intense but the way I deal with them is to use a teaching 'persona'. I use all of the information I've gathered about non-verbal cues and social mores and add it into this character that represents everything I think a good teacher should be: caring, patient, innovative, well-prepared and knowledgeable. It is quite exhausting sometimes because I have to thoroughly prepare myself for every day in the classroom, both emotionally and organizationally. Yet so far it has worked wonders and I'm doing really well in the course and am looking forward to a good career in the Education sector.

To be honest though there's no way I'd be able to cope as a teacher if I were to 'be myself', because I'm not a sociable person by nature, as any aspie would understand. But by role playing I've found I can get along in pretty much any situation. It's a great coping tactic, I recommend it.

hhyyjj163
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Dec 2007, 2:35 am

architect

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

11 Dec 2007, 2:53 am

Professional Socialite.

[yes, that is an actual occupation!...can you believe it?]

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 3:07 am

The president's press secretary

Sapphires
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Dec 2007, 6:35 am

Social worker
Advertising

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 10:32 am

beautifuloblivion wrote:
Yea, I agree with all of those, but the only way to grow comfortable with those situations is to experience them.
So does that mean if you are not comfortable with rattlesnakes you should keep handling them until you are? There are just some kinds of jobs we should not even attempt unless there is absolutely no other alternative.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Kwiksnax

11 Dec 2007, 4:45 pm

Pandora wrote:
There are just some kinds of jobs we should not even attempt unless there is absolutely no other alternative.

Nonsense. You're making excuses not to try anything to avoid the pain of possible failure.

sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 5:40 pm

Kwiksnax wrote:
Pandora wrote:
There are just some kinds of jobs we should not even attempt unless there is absolutely no other alternative.

Nonsense. You're making excuses not to try anything to avoid the pain of possible failure.

I think its a little from column a and a little from column b. I had a job which involved telesales. It vastly improved my confidence AND gave me a mental breakdown. I still don't totally regret it as it lead onto my next, (not customer facing) job.

alex
Developer
Developer

11 Dec 2007, 5:45 pm

pizza delivery man

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 6:14 pm

alex wrote:
pizza delivery man

:lol:

Lonelybonesey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Dec 2007, 10:29 pm

Prime Minster

Aquamarine_Kitty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Dec 2007, 10:57 pm

rushfanatic wrote:
WAITRESSING!!

Yeah, I tried to be a volunteer waitress at a fundraiser to see if I could handle it at all.
*The first five minutes of my shift, I spilled punch all over the white blouse I was wearing.
*I had no idea how to go about taking people's orders. I would inch up to a table, try to stay invisible while I see if they need their order taken, get really nervous when I can't tell for sure, and eventually try to spit out the words: "May I take your order?"
*The same process happened with taking dessert orders, taking plates, asking how the meal is going, etc.
*I spent most of the time talking to my family and carefully working in the kitchen.
Waitressing doesn't seem to be suited for someone who is very clumsy and has low social skills.