Page 7 of 8 [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2011, 7:53 pm

I disagree with children's entertainer; and go further to say we are good for it. Something about the logic of accepting kid's ignorance makes them a lot easier to be handle. And the usual social queues thing too.

Where do people feel nursing fits for an aspie job? I currently am a Lab Tech part-time (biochem research; cells, mice, etc.) and am wondering if I should save up for a nursing license; and one of its masters options after.
Nursing is not an obsession of mine; just seems like a better income path and still within a biology field.

MyWorld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jun 2011, 2:15 am

Worst: Supervisor or Manager
Best: jobs that don't require a lot of human interaction

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 4:36 am

Infoseeker wrote:
I disagree with children's entertainer; and go further to say we are good for it. Something about the logic of accepting kid's ignorance makes them a lot easier to be handle. And the usual social queues thing too.

Where do people feel nursing fits for an aspie job? I currently am a Lab Tech part-time (biochem research; cells, mice, etc.) and am wondering if I should save up for a nursing license; and one of its masters options after.
Nursing is not an obsession of mine; just seems like a better income path and still within a biology field.

If you like interacting with people, I'd say go for it. I can't beat out my biology, I hate chit-chatting on any given day and I don't recall information enough to accurately use it in a conversation.

R_odin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jun 2011, 12:39 pm

I've been working some time now in logistics company customer dep.

3 things:
-I am Infinite Consciousness, i can do whatever i want and no one can touch me
-i don't care about what others think of me
-Don't feed the trolls

So if you're afraid of dealing with angry clients, DON'T BE and don't care about them. Just remember to not feed the trolls and everything will sort out.
Other positions would be a van driver or in a warehouse, sorting stuff...

In every company, you're dealing either with physical or psychological pressure. If you prefer lifting heavy weight and hard labour over some phones, that's up to you.

There's always a pressure, you must choose if you prefer a physical over mind.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jun 2011, 11:01 pm

Since people have been trying to inadvertently "fix me" for years I always get suggestions to attend technical schools for the following, which makes me want to throw up because putting my hands on/in strangers makes me feel ill: dental hygienist, hairstylist, masseuse and medical assistant. I can almost make anyone understand the masseuse thing by describing someone gross but most people don't mind the others apparently. I also really hate touching people's feet. My sister used to make me give her pedicures. As someone else said maybe I could sell something that I really cared about but in general I'm not one to be BSing someone about how great they look in their jeans or whatever.

Aspberry
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jun 2011, 8:14 pm

Policeman/woman
Detective

Being a detective requires a non-literal, less linear manner of thinking that many of us with Aspergers (and the related executive function deficits) struggle with. Being a policeman or woman requires extreme adaptability to change and the ability to negotiate unfamiliar (and often scary!) social interactions.

Narocos300
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jun 2011, 1:44 am

Being a baker is deffiently the worst job for an Aspie.

Don't be a baker, all those Weights and Measures and Flour and other people who haven't worked with other aspies don't understand how the Aspie mind works.

And this can be Frustrating at times.

I missed my meds two nights in a row because I could not get them I run out and boy did I feel it.... :roll:

Both in the Concentration stakes and the fact that I had had to do Different things than I'm used to in my "worK" routine.

And neither of my co-workers realise how Frustrating this is for me :(

To do this and then Suddenly at 4 am I suddenly get Thrown another job out of completely no where, because someone wanted a Utility Cake for absolutely No reason at all.

So the combo of Night shift/slash not sleeping that well on the only two days I got off/ Misunderstanding due to my disabilitym Added for a Very Stressfull evening.

And I tried to make a Chocolate Mix on the stove to do A job I usually get to do myself and I got yelled at because I'm working with too different people that I usually work with.

And was just trying to give people a hand.

Its usually is my job when my foremans around, the two other Coworker Bakers seem to get other Tangent into there minds of when They require of me!

Needless to say I was absolutely Close to tears and I hadn't even worked my forth or Fith night yet :(
Too many coooks not enough spoon :twisted:

ArtisticOne
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Jul 2011, 10:04 am

I would have to say that another bad job for an Aspie (if it hasn't been mentioned already) is being a cashier. Not only is it hard to do multiple tasks at once within a VERY limited amount of time, it is also hard to deal with customers yelling at you for "not greeting them". Asking for help was like pulling teeth! I worked as a cashier for three weeks and I considered it the worst three weeks of my life!

bluecountry
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jul 2011, 1:26 pm

What about being:
-A financial analyst who handles investments?
-An accountant?
-Logistics coordinator?

72sprint
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jul 2011, 9:44 pm

Bus driver. Driving truck was actually pretty easy for me, but when I started driving a bus my attitude started going downhill. It is definitely the customer interaction I can't stand. Looking to go back into truck driving if I can.

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 4:24 am

^ Bus driver has got to be one of the worst.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 8:07 am

72sprint wrote:
Bus driver. Driving truck was actually pretty easy for me, but when I started driving a bus my attitude started going downhill. It is definitely the customer interaction I can't stand. Looking to go back into truck driving if I can.

Most bus drivers where I live are really unsociable and don't have to say much. I use a pass and they normally just nod and look like they want you to disappear. Even when paying they seem to say as little as possible in my experience. I can think of a lot worse jobs that pay less where a person has to be more sociable. However I do realise that if you're uncomfortable with people, being heard by a bus full of people would be challenging but the actual interaction and words used by bus drivers doesn't seem to require a lot of social skill from me perspective. :?

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 1:52 pm

cops, (having to know when the other person is dangerous or not and if he's lying and getting alone with a partner who's stuck to you like glue that won't come off). a lawyer that has to convince people of something. a psychiatrist, especially if you have to hypnotise someone... "look in my eyes..."
a judge, having to constantly enforce rules when you're not even sure what the rules are... should you order "silence in the courtroom?" is this noise appropriate or not?
working in a loud environment, like some factories or night clubs. working in crowded places like night clubs or busy restaurents. salespeople. bartenders and taxi drivers, who are expected to carry on conversations. diplomates. actors, who are supposed to understand the character they're playing and get in their shoes. soldiers, who are always in a group, no privacy. anything that has to do with teamwork, like a coach or a professional football player.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 7:49 am

Actor
Clown
News Caster
Magician
Dancer

At least for me^^

Edit:

Quote:
soldiers, who are always in a group, no privacy. anything that has to do with teamwork, like a coach or a professional football player

Oh right, this. Defiteinly the worst job for aspies. Worst than anything I listed so far. Only 9 AS people joined the army where I live and all of them suffered badly. But I mean real bad...

REW
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jul 2011, 11:10 am

I worked in a tour operator call center for a 1 1/2 years of "horror" on busy days we took more than a hundred calls. Nearly had a breakdown. This was before I knew I am aspergian. I am currently in a vr program not sure where it will lead, just anything but sales will be an improvement.

boxoffrogs
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Aug 2011, 3:33 am

caffeine_demon wrote:
Hi,

I was just thinking what the worst jobs for aspies would be...

my list

1 - telesales
2 - busy telephone helpdesk
3 - childrens entertainer
4 - politician
5 - customer services

any others?

H'mm, politician, well the politician who was considered to be the father of Thatcherism; Keith Joseph it has also been suggested is aspie, and I can see how aspie will be good as a politician and that because aspies can detatch from emotion and think facts only.

A job I always fancied when I was younger was forensics and that because of the investigative interest, a puzzle to be solved, so I suppose the police might be good too because of the ability to detatch (insert; not care), but jhang on a mo, I once applied for the police, got down to the final two and got knocked back because of lack of empathy.

The worst jobs to me would be anything to do with dealing with people, as I am so damned gullible with the smilers and the rest of the time just plain suspicious of motive.

Oh, and I hear the armed forces won't employ aspies, well, I was in the armed forces for six years and I was always in trouble for questioning orders, but saved from the majority of the disciplinary procedures because I was too damned good at my job, being the only person in the squadron who thoroughly understood the autopilot system and I was highly skilled at difficult repair jobs, the sort of jobs that drove everyone else nuts, so attention to detail that many aspies have worked well here.

But when it comes to the security issues, the live armed guard, I have to agree aspies and security is not a good mix as in that situation aspies follow orders literally and I only shudder at some of the situations I got into being on the right side of a weapon, but thankfully having others with me who could see the people I could not see, as I just saw the offence and applied the orders to the offence, the automaton guard.

The other thing I have found I cannot do, in all the jobs I have had, is deal with jobs where I know wrong is being done, because perhaps another aspie trait, is the need to be blatantly honest, perhaps even gullibly honest, with me, I can't help it, I find it very difficult to be dishonest, so as a result, my past, my youth doing the things the youth do, I was always the one caught for misdemeanours, so as a result, I try not to do wrong, as I know I will be found out. Oh, and oops, I accidently revealed my employer's dishonest actions towards a customer once, that didn't go down too well, but they could hardly sack me for being dishonest, they just made life intolerable until I quit.