Any Aspies an Electronics Technician?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 6:13 pm

I'm planning to take Electronic Technology at Saint Paul Community College and I'd like to know what it would be like to work as a technician. If you are one: how difficult was it to find a job? What tasks do you do in a usual workday? Do you work regular hours? How much social/business interaction do you have with other people (customers/coworkers/management)? Any other data you could give would be nice. I'm fairly certain this is what I want to do, but I would like to find out more.

Katou
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Dec 2007, 10:07 pm

I used to be an ATM (Bank machine) and Field service technician. I'm A+/Net+ and MCP certified, I used to work 55-60 hours per week (all of it on call)with a good chunk of it being driving to clients' sites (my territory was over 200 mi) .

I had a company vehicle, company supplied phone, tools, health plan. The job was pretty good, but I got out of it due to lack of time to relax..
I'm considering going back in a few months under strict guidelines (no more than 50hrs per week and no OT.)

My job entailed a lot of stress - most jobs must be done within a 4hr time span, and a lot of interaction is done with dispatch, which is done via phone or blackberry. You'll have to deal with customers, but it depends on the company.

Hope this helps!

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 10:25 pm

Yes, thank you. I hope your terms negotiation works out well. :)