Page 2 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 11:35 pm

Jkid wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
Jkid wrote:
I have not asked that stupid question, yet. But I bet that the guys who asked that question have not dated or don't have a girlfriend.

or more likely fell for the same old line when they were young and now want to bully other's into the same fate.

Merle

When you mean by the same fate, do you mean by the dating game?

I meant the old line of 'your duty to replenish the human race' and the same fate is 'those who were bullied into 'finding/getting a girlfriend and letting nature take it's course'.

There is a reason men with families are some of the highest paid, because they are sunk so far into debt and responsibility the companies know they must take no risks with their positions, will back the company line, especially the older they get.
The demographics of young men being shackled to children and threat of alimony worked for decades, but then the pill and extended adolescence has eroded the easy thralldom scheme and so huge and unwieldy student loans now take up the slack in the societal arrangement enslaving another generation into not being able to easily move around on the job market when devastating debts drive one into wage bondage.

but. . I digress.

Merle

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2008, 1:25 am

gbollard wrote:
Just say - I'm in-between chicks at the moment - know any nice ones?

who knows, it might work

That is a great idea.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2008, 2:04 am

gbollard wrote:
Just say - I'm in-between chicks at the moment - know any nice ones?

Being between chicks isn't always a bad thing, it depends on how big they are.

SchrodingersCat
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Feb 2008, 6:10 am

*concealed advertisement link deleted by lau*
Jack lives here

Albion
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Feb 2008, 8:04 pm

My boss keeps telling me, "You need to find a nice girl!" I laugh to myself thinking, "What, you don't think I'm trying?", every time she says it. *shakes his head in disbelief*

-Craig

Albion
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Feb 2008, 8:30 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
When you mean by the same fate, do you mean by the dating game?

I meant the old line of 'your duty to replenish the human race' and the same fate is 'those who were bullied into 'finding/getting a girlfriend and letting nature take it's course'.

There is a reason men with families are some of the highest paid, because they are sunk so far into debt and responsibility the companies know they must take no risks with their positions, will back the company line, especially the older they get.
The demographics of young men being shackled to children and threat of alimony worked for decades, but then the pill and extended adolescence has eroded the easy thralldom scheme and so huge and unwieldy student loans now take up the slack in the societal arrangement enslaving another generation into not being able to easily move around on the job market when devastating debts drive one into wage bondage.

but. . I digress.

Merle

Sorry for posting twice...

For the last 5 or so years I have been working on getting rid of my debt. I never really had much, not much for credit cards. But now I am down to just my mortgage and my utilities. Hell I don't even have cable anymore, just internet. I guess I just got it into my head that I want to live a simpler life. I don't want to have to worry anymore about what would happen if I lost my job. For me if worse comes to worse, I sell my house and move into an apartment. Although I love the gardening I get with my yard, I suppose I could live without it if necessary. Working for the park service driving a truck sounds nice to me.

America is getting pretty bad right now. Keep everyone in debt and sedated on drugs. Fill their heads with useless crap on TV. "Hey why don't you waste your time watching American Idol!" Reminds me of that Rowdy Roddy Piper Sci/Fi movie with all the subliminal messaging built into the billboards and advertisements. I refuse to watch TV anymore. I used to love the Discovery Science Channel. So much so I have burn in on my TV of their corner symbol. But even that is getting dumbed down. I'm not going to get into anymore politics but it's amazing how they have such control over the masses, isn't it?

quiet
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Feb 2008, 10:01 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
they think you are gay, and they think you are clueless about it, too!

Yes, that is annoying when people assume that single men are homosexuals. :roll:

jman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 5:13 pm

You should have replied with: "No, but I do have 5 kids with 3 different moms" :twisted:

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 6:37 pm

That's nuerotypicalism for ya.
These types of people feel like they need to end up married, so they end up marrying not he right ones. Then if they do meet the right ones after they're married, or they're are not in love, they end up cheating and/or getting divorced. This attitude is part of why the divorce rate is over 50% in America.

Well, anything I might suggest has already been said, so I'll just wish you good luck.

Logan5
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2008, 4:50 am

Vince wrote:
I get the so-called advice of "you ought to go out and get yourself a girlfriend" every once in a while. I usually reply with "Yes, I should just go to the girlfriend store with my coupon and pick one out. And while I'm out, I can take the time to get you a second-hand mind-your-own-business suit".

LOL.

I often with respond with, "Yes, I have a different one every weekend". If people continue to push, I say, "Look, there is a reason god invented booze [alcohol] and hookers [prostitutes]". (You can substitute strip clubs for hookers. For the record, I am too poor to use any of those things.) I'll admit that this second comment is mildly offensive, especially to women, but it usually shuts the person up.

When people ask me, "Don't you ever want to get married?", if I want to try to shut the person up and end the line of questioning, I say (with a disgusted look on my face, and tone of voice) "Why would I ever want to do a stupid thing like that?" If I want to be nice about it, I say (with a smile, to indicate humour), "My mail-order bride got lost in the mail".

On a more serious note, if you live in the USA and it is your boss/ manager who keeps asking you these questions, you could try something along the lines of, "Maybe I'll ask my lawyer about that next time I speak to him/ her about that harassment lawsuit I am thinking about filing against you". If that doesn't stop your boss/ manager, then sue the jerk.

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 9:37 am

I tell people that I will never get married again because I like being right 24/7/365. When I come home from work there is no one screaming and bitching at me. I can do what I want, when I want and I don't have to answer to anybody. I also have a sizeable bank account and net asset value because I don't have some shopaholic, credit card junkie blowing all of my money. After saying that I can usually see the life blood draining from the NT's when they realize just how right I am.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 1:54 pm

Metal_Man wrote:
I tell people that I will never get married again because I like being right 24/7/365. When I come home from work there is no one screaming and bitching at me. I can do what I want, when I want and I don't have to answer to anybody. I also have a sizeable bank account and net asset value because I don't have some shopaholic, credit card junkie blowing all of my money. After saying that I can usually see the life blood draining from the NT's when they realize just how right I am.

you are so right! only my ex husband sued me for alimony and won the settlement ( I was working when he was dealing dope, so I was the 'supporting spouse') so I had to pay for his sorry ass until he died in a motorcycle accident in 1989.

Merle

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 2:24 pm

jman wrote:
You should have replied with: "No, but I do have 5 kids with 3 different moms" :twisted:

Or 3 kids with 5 different moms. :lol:

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 4:15 pm

Since my former wife and I separated, I started staying hours after I was clocked out at work.
Only on days/nights when my daughter is with her mom.

I'm always being told I need a girlfriend... or a pet... so I'll go home!
No one's suggested I get a boyfriend or a blow-up doll or a hobby :wink:

Guess there's something weird about single men at the workplace.

ClosetAspy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2008, 5:08 pm

I had a boss who used to hassle me because I did not have a boyfriend and one day I said to her that she was the best argument for celibacy that I had ever seen. She said, "Why?" I said, "Because you come in every day and b***h about your husband and your children. I go home and every night I get down on my knees and thank God that I am single and celibate!" She sure shut up about that topic in a hurry!

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 6:49 pm

Quote:
wsmac said:
I'm always being told I need a girlfriend... or a pet... so I'll go home!

a pet... you mean you DON'T have kittens at home on a skateboard?