wtf. my co-workers keep telling me to get a girlfriend

Page 3 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sargon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Feb 2008, 10:57 pm

I'm 23, and my coworkers enjoy pointing out the fact/having fun at my expensive that I've never been on a date/ am naive in relationships with the opposite sex. It isn't sexual harassment (at least for me, since they are all guys), so I figure you just better get used to it (and be prepared that the older you get, the more they'll think you're weird/pressure you).

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 11:17 pm

actually, that would qualify as sexual harassment in a court of law.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 4:54 am

gbollard wrote:
Quote:
wsmac said:
I'm always being told I need a girlfriend... or a pet... so I'll go home!

a pet... you mean you DON'T have kittens at home on a skateboard?

Not anymore... they stole it and headed to SoCal for the surf and lady kitties! :twisted:

Seriously, these were kittens I took in from my backyard, got them checked out at the vet's and adopted them out to three good families.
We had a whole thread on this a little while back.
I tried to take care of them, but I don't consider myself a good 'pet owner'.

I still have the skateboard though! :wink:

Tonight at work, I had a nurse tell me I was sexy without my beard (I am growing it back currently and she likes me without it I guess).

Now if only I could get around to asking if she'd like to go out to dinner or something.

NAW.. nice fantasy, but not likely to happen.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 7:05 am

Nan wrote:
aaronrey wrote:
they keep saying that it's weird for a 27 year old guy to not have a girlfriend and they said it's our duty as humans to get married and bring children into the world. then one of the managers came around and asked if i have a girlfriend. i said no and he laughed at me

Welcome to the world of being thought of as livestock. (EWWWW!)

:lol:

Yes, it is our solemn and sacred duty to spawn another generation, who in turn will spawn another generation, who will spawn yet another generation, and on and on...

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 1:39 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
it is our solemn and sacred duty to spawn another generation, who in turn will spawn another generation, who will spawn yet another generation, and on and on...

Coz there ain't enough of us already. :roll:

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 3:07 pm

Quote:
wsmac said:
Tonight at work, I had a nurse tell me I was sexy without my beard (I am growing it back currently and she likes me without it I guess).

Now if only I could get around to asking if she'd like to go out to dinner or something.

NAW.. nice fantasy, but not likely to happen.

Well, not if you grow it back it aint.

Instead - maybe ask her if you keep it off will she go out with you. :D

AKS
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Feb 2008, 6:53 pm

aaronrey wrote:
they keep saying that it's weird for a 27 year old guy to not have a girlfriend and they said it's our duty as humans to get married and bring children into the world. then one of the managers came around and asked if i have a girlfriend. i said no and he laughed at me

It can be an uncomfortable situation when others suggest what "should be normal" for everyone. WHen asked about being married or dating or something to that effect, I have told people that, "At the moment, I do not want any more problems in my life" and that " the person I eventually find will need to add to my life significantly because I am pretty content at the moment." By the way I am 45, single and have not dated in a long time. I will in the future, but not at the moment.

"The world would be a great place if it were not for all the people." :)

preludeman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 9:48 pm

I like vince's idea , and I plan to use it for myself.

My co-workers do the same thing just ignore them.

IsotropicManifold
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2008, 10:45 am

aaronrey wrote:

if they weren't your boss and coworkers I would tell them to get f****d!

IsotropicManifold
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2008, 10:47 am

sinsboldly wrote:
Jkid wrote:
I have not asked that stupid question, yet. But I bet that the guys who asked that question have not dated or don't have a girlfriend.

or more likely fell for the same old line when they were young and now want to bully other's into the same fate.

Merle

thats IT! I completely agree!! !! !! !!

Preston
Raven
Raven

05 Feb 2008, 6:55 pm

Sounds like a number of people here are bitter about past relationships, or never had a good one. Research shows that relationships generally make people happier, especially if they're good. Personal experience verifies this. I can't wait to get into a good relationship again, which will hopefully culminate in marriage next time.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 10:43 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
they think you are gay, and they think you are clueless about it, too!

While I haven't held down a paying job (full time college student, also volunteering 10-15 hrs a week at a church), I got alot of that in high school. I got invited to every drinking party that existed. Women would hit on me and pulled away when I started responding. Hell, even the men started hitting on me...

Then I went on a week-long spree of awkwardly hitting on every woman in the school (regardless of whether they had boyfriends or not) and all that crap ceased...

Sargon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Feb 2008, 11:01 pm

Quote:
Sounds like a number of people here are bitter about past relationships, or never had a good one. Research shows that relationships generally make people happier, especially if they're good. Personal experience verifies this. I can't wait to get into a good relationship again, which will hopefully culminate in marriage next time.

While one might be happier while they are in a relationship, divorce has a fairly significant negative effect on one's longevity (and probably decreases "happiness"). A 50% chance (~ the divorce rate) of a higher mortality doesn't seem to particularly be worth it. I suppose one could tell their coworker's that, but you'd probably be seen as more weird.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 11:34 pm

aaronrey wrote:

You volunteered way too much information, that's one of the troubles with having AS for a lot of people I see. You need to stay as poised and deflective as you can.

Stewie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Feb 2008, 6:57 pm

The next time you overhear one of them complaining about their kids or "the wife" you should walk by comment on how relaxing and stress free your evenings are.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 7:41 pm

I'd tell them nothing. My life is my own affair.