Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Morrissey
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Mar 2008, 2:03 pm

I can't stop watching Johnny Depp interviews on youtube. He's so diverse with his personas and his 'american' accent is v.odd.

I think he is on the spectrum because he's very sensitive to questioning and has a self deprecating laugh.

Morrissey
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Mar 2008, 2:06 pm

the other signs are he wears props all the time - hats, glasses, facial hair, long hair. I think these are props in order for him to hide behind his self concious/fragile personality

I'm sporting a beard at the moment!

05 Mar 2008, 2:59 pm

Are you talking about he wears props off the set or all the time? Well he is an actor and that's what they do, they wear props, different clothes, have different styles of hair because it's part of their role they're playing. They also have different personalities because they're actors. They're the real them when they aren't acting and working on the set.

Morrissey
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Mar 2008, 3:36 pm

Yeah, I know, it could be a concidence, it just really strikes me as if he hides behind these things for his confidence. There's the thing too when he was younger with his really long hair, in interviews he answered questions quicker, he appeared more confortable in his own skin. I think he was most comfortable in his own innocence as a young guy, because he was young and he had that american white boy persona to a T, I can see through that though. Like recent interviews he has thick black glasses and beard and goaty, his facial expressions are so limited!

maybe i'm thinking about this too much, if someone is an aspie though and looks at a lot of actors, artists, famous people who are rumoured to be autistic I think visually and intellectually you can radar people interestingly and spot the subtleties. Of course there's not a yes or no answer as people are located on the spectrum. Edward Scissorhands though, there's real aspieness in that though, I don't see that as 100% acting, there's a lot of the real Depp in Edward's innocence for sure.

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 10:42 pm

Ever notice that he doesn't do very many love scenes? When he does do them, he always looks awkward, like he's trying to hurry it up and get it overwith.

Rack
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Mar 2008, 3:20 am

Most actors don't have multiple personas, they just play the exact same role in different films. I can't quite figure out whether an aspie would be a very bad actor (because they don't intuitively understand body language) or a very good actor (because we're essentially acting all the time we're in company).

fishface
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Mar 2008, 4:36 am

Rainstorm5 wrote:
Ever notice that he doesn't do very many love scenes? When he does do them, he always looks awkward, like he's trying to hurry it up and get it overwith.

That is exactly what Katy told me about Johnny in real life!!

Morrissey
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Mar 2008, 7:00 am

In response to Rack,

As you say it's true most actors don't have multiple personas, if one did study Depp and all his TV interviews - very interesting! You see I have this fascination with Andy Kaufman, Crispin Glover, David Byrne, David has been diagnosed as AS and Andy is so AS. From what I notice, this is with myself also, is there are subtle intellectualisms in choice of the voice mainly, body language is not natural it's improvised, I believe that persona comes together through the perception of the person and what their mood is at the time when they take into account who's interviewing them, what clothes and appearance they are wearing themselves, the type of show, it's every TV appearance persona is 'cooked' intellectually and acted out as they desire, sometimes to fool and intrigue, sometimes just to get through the interview!

I believe some Aspies are the real actors - the best actors, it's like their whole life is a film, everything is a stage, there is no real them to find amongst the acting, it's evident with Andy Kaufman there is no real him, he is/was a child - who learnt to act like an adult, he mimiced he acted his whole life

Morrissey
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Mar 2008, 7:32 am

if anyone is interested in my current obsession, check these out

Right, the first one 1999 interview with Depp on Letterman - long hair, no facial hair = a bit childlike and innocent, trying to act mature (when he laughs at letterman's jokes he so doesn't get them!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLO_LQqfRMc

Next one, 2006, wow what a transformation, facial hair, glamour jacket, more mature and larger than life, what an actor!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spJzyUAAavA

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2008, 11:54 am

I too am a big Johnny Depp. He has a very unique style not just physically but mentally. I've always been fascinated with the many diverse roles he's played. Most actors are good but generally play the same kind of roles. I was surprised by many of his interviews. He's kind of this serious guy who gives answeres as best he can. It's like he goes from serious to all these different characters with their own idiosyncrasies. I think he's one of those rare talents.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 6:31 pm

I too am a big Johnny Depp fan,
but I don't think he is an Aspie.

Maybe being in front of crowds and cameras makes him nervous?
Does his wanting to be with his children make him an Aspie?
Does his role in Finding Neverland make him Aspie?

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 6:49 pm

I don't think he's an aspie...just very self-conscience.

Tensho
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Mar 2008, 8:46 pm

I think he isnt Aspie. He seems confident about who he is and how he behaves and he doesnt look lost in his own world in his behaviour at all. I think he is in control of the way he behaves to a degree and being the way he is works for him. He is mysterious and edgy because he knows girls like it.

fishface
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Mar 2008, 4:41 pm

Is anyone in this thread medically qualified and have met Mr Depp?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 5:05 pm

I don't know much about Jonny Depp but knowing nervous NTs being nervous and aloof does not make you on the spectrum. People on the spectrum can be nervous and a aloof, but there are more nervous and aloof people in general. Some of these people would never be seen dead in front of a camera let alone in the public eye. Then again there are specific anxieties and a spectrum of anxieties.

Why is this in Work and finding a Job ?