Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 2:04 am

You know, after reading that thread that was just recently posted in the General Autism Discussion forum, it occurred to me that I needed to make this thread. You know, I was amazed how many Aspies are unemployed. Now, people, do not think that I am taking a shot at you, I am trying to do the most humane thing I can think of, I want to help you by giving you some confidence.
Ok, I must first point out to you kickass individuals that I realize that my theory will not come easy to every Aspie.

I'll cut to the damn chase and give you the lowdown. If you want to increase your social skills just enough to fit in, I suggest you give employment a bit more of an effort. This is why: Up until I was 15, I was an outlaw. I was called a ret*d so many damn times. No friends, nothing. My confidence was so out of shape that I would refuse to walk into a store by myself to buy anything. Maybe it wasn't a lack of confidence, I don't know, but I was too afraid to do anything on my own.

Well, I turned 16 in June of '05, and in September, I had gotten my first job as a courtesy-clerk at a grocery store, bagging groceries and pushing in carts from the parking lot. Doing this, I would be working with a lot of peers. I could tell I was not fitting in, even when I didn't really get picked on at work. I felt incredibly shy and when managers would joke around with me, I didn't really know how to act.
But I was a really hard worker, putting a lot of effort into my tasks and I was really great with my bagging skills. I would not slack off, and when it was time to go outside for my half-hour of the day and bring in carts from the parking lot, I kept us in full supply and the parking lot clear. Even when it was not time for me to be pushing shopping carts, I was a hussler. I was on top of my job.
One thing about working in retail is, that you have to be really good with customers. I had learned this in my training class, and I knew that it had to be done. So, even though I could not think of anything to say while making small talk, I learned how to be really friendly, and I learned to be on top when it came to customer service. Customers loved me, they would tell the managers great things about me and the managers would always come and give me a pat on the back and tell me what a great job I am doing, not with just customer service, but also with everything I did in the store.
Like I said, I was on top of my job. The cashiers of whom I was bagging for would always ask me to bag on their lanes. I was a fast bagger, and I bagged the groceries right. I learned to make small talk with the cashiers, and with all the progress I had been making with everything, I became quite popular with them.
I also kept getting more and more independant. I would go pick up my checks and go cash them. Later on I got a bank account with Bank Of America who had a station inside my store. I would do my business with them very easily.
But more about social skills. With so much practice with working with the customers, small talk just flowed out of me, and I later was easily making friends with other courtesy-clerks. I fit in much more easily in all aspects of socialization. Trust me, I am still not perfect, but having this job as given me a big head-start.

You know, I could go on and on for hours. But I suggest that you get a job, and stick with it as long as you can. I suggest you get into retail. I would definately say start out with being a courtesy-clerk, depending on whether you are still young and fresh in the work business. Because even if you will start out as minimum wage, just keep in mind that you can always move up by promotion. But I suggest that you wait as long as possible, because, in the lyrics of Guns N' Roses, "all it takes is just a little patience."

Get into retail.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

30 Mar 2008, 8:52 am

Good post Cowboy. I personally have made a point of avoiding working with the public, but that advice probably has some merit for those who can handle it. As far as working and doing the job to the best of your ability, well it feels good to put in a days work for a days pay much better than staying home too much.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 10:29 am

CowboyFromHell wrote:
I could tell I was not fitting in, even when I didn't really get picked on at work. I felt incredibly shy and when managers would joke around with me, I didn't really know how to act.

But I was a really hard worker, putting a lot of effort into my tasks and I was really great with my bagging skills. I would not slack off, and when it was time to go outside for my half-hour of the day and bring in carts from the parking lot, I kept us in full supply and the parking lot clear. Even when it was not time for me to be pushing shopping carts, I was a hussler. I was on top of my job.
One thing about working in retail is, that you have to be really good with customers.

Great post.

On the other hand, some of us have been fired or mistreated for doing the above. I have given it tremendous effort in the past only to be told, "hurry up!", "can't you work any harder?" (uhm NO), regardless if I got done in time or not.

Nothing I did was enough. They didn't care about the business or customers, they only cared about the social world between employees. It's no wander they were always hireing! I hope my current job has people who are better than the likes of those. :D
Thus, let me add a tip to your already cool tips.

Don't try to get hired by people who always hire! They don't keep anybody around for very long!

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 10:34 am

sorry for the accidental double post. :( I will report it. Me be bad. oops :oops:

fishman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2008, 12:24 pm

I believe that getting a job can also prepare you to have one as an adult and to work with other people in the workplace.

I have a job at a place that mass produces CD's of all forms where I help to assemble CD cases. My mom works for a band that does business with them often and is friend with the owner. This is part of how I got the job. Because of this, I think it might be a good idea to get a job at a place where at least one of your friends or family members is/are friends with the people who work there.

I learned to get along with the people at my work pretty quickly. It's a small company with a casual and laid back atmosphere.

I also think that volunteering is another way to help develop social skills. Along with the above mentioned job, I also volunteer at a local library where I help to put books on the shelves.

I don't talk with my workmates much at the library, but I still interact with the visitors.

I work at my job and the library only one day a week each, but just like CowboyFromHell said, it is still better than staying at home too much.

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 9:59 pm

LiendaBalla wrote:
CowboyFromHell wrote:
Don't try to get hired by people who always hire! They don't keep anybody around for very long!

Hey, I just reread this thread, and I just noticed that line in your post. I'd like to say that my store and many stores in my area rarely hire. BUT this does depend on the area and economy.

Thanks for your contribution. Hey, there are pros and cons to everything!

tailfins1959
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2008, 6:20 am

CowboyFromHell wrote:
You know, after reading that thread that was just recently posted in the General Autism Discussion forum, it occurred to me that I needed to make this thread. You know, I was amazed how many Aspies are unemployed. Now, people, do not think that I am taking a shot at you, I am trying to do the most humane thing I can think of, I want to help you by giving you some confidence.
Ok, I must first point out to you kickass individuals that I realize that my theory will not come easy to every Aspie.

I'll cut to the damn chase and give you the lowdown. If you want to increase your social skills just enough to fit in, I suggest you give employment a bit more of an effort. This is why: Up until I was 15, I was an outlaw. I was called a ret*d so many damn times. No friends, nothing. My confidence was so out of shape that I would refuse to walk into a store by myself to buy anything. Maybe it wasn't a lack of confidence, I don't know, but I was too afraid to do anything on my own.

Well, I turned 16 in June of '05, and in September, I had gotten my first job as a courtesy-clerk at a grocery store, bagging groceries and pushing in carts from the parking lot. Doing this, I would be working with a lot of peers. I could tell I was not fitting in, even when I didn't really get picked on at work. I felt incredibly shy and when managers would joke around with me, I didn't really know how to act.
One thing about working in retail is, that you have to be really good with customers. I had learned this in my training class, and I knew that it had to be done. So, even though I could not think of anything to say while making small talk, I learned how to be really friendly, and I learned to be on top when it came to customer service. Customers loved me, they would tell the managers great things about me and the managers would always come and give me a pat on the back and tell me what a great job I am doing, not with just customer service, but also with everything I did in the store.
Like I said, I was on top of my job. The cashiers of whom I was bagging for would always ask me to bag on their lanes. I was a fast bagger, and I bagged the groceries right. I learned to make small talk with the cashiers, and with all the progress I had been making with everything, I became quite popular with them.
I also kept getting more and more independant. I would go pick up my checks and go cash them. Later on I got a bank account with Bank Of America who had a station inside my store. I would do my business with them very easily.
But more about social skills. With so much practice with working with the customers, small talk just flowed out of me, and I later was easily making friends with other courtesy-clerks. I fit in much more easily in all aspects of socialization. Trust me, I am still not perfect, but having this job as given me a big head-start.

You know, I could go on and on for hours. But I suggest that you get a job, and stick with it as long as you can. I suggest you get into retail. I would definately say start out with being a courtesy-clerk, depending on whether you are still young and fresh in the work business. Because even if you will start out as minimum wage, just keep in mind that you can always move up by promotion. But I suggest that you wait as long as possible, because, in the lyrics of Guns N' Roses, "all it takes is just a little patience."

Get into retail.

Nice job! Don't completely throw off that outlaw thing. Someone will eventually mess with you. What gave me a kick in the butt is that my old man died when I was 20 and my distraught mom moved to a little house in an area where any decent job would be 75 miles away to be near her sisters. I worked night shift in a convenience store. I didn't do as good as you did, but I did OK. There was this prostitute that came by sometimes and played cards. She also explained some social skills to me. She actually sat there and watched me wait on customers and she never stole anything. I then got a night time doughnut route that paid more. Night shift jobs have fewer social demands.

I've still got a pair
Yeah honey, I'm still a guy

kit000003
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2008, 11:37 pm

I've worked retail now for almost 4 years (two different stores)

The OP has some very good points. Most retail stores will train you how to act towards customers. It also gives a high volume of "greeting" type conversations, So I have gotten fairly good at "hello how are you today?" lines. It takes effort to remember, and I've slipped the past couple months, but it is better than I was.

There are a few drawbacks, but if you are looking to improve social skills, retail is a great place to start. (and merchandising is fun)