Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 10:49 pm

I love critiquing other people's work, and I get a rush from it. It seems like a job that doesn't have too much socialization involved, and it just seems to fit as a temproary job until I publish some of my work! What do you guys think?
What would I have to take in University in order to get that job?

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 1:13 am

I would think Journalism classes would do it.

oblio
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 1 Observatree Close, Pointless Forest, Low Countries

05 Apr 2008, 1:14 am

ebec11 wrote:
I love critiquing other people's work, and I get a rush from it. It seems like a job that doesn't have too much socialization involved, and it just seems to fit as a temproary job until I publish some of my work! What do you guys think?

not quite sure...,
what's wrong with a staedy job though?

may your god forgive you

MsBehaviour
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Apr 2008, 3:06 am

ebec11 wrote:

Journalism & Media Studies. I've been an online Editor and it was a great job.

oblio wrote:
not quite sure..., what's wrong with a staedy job though?

They suck you in and stop you being creative.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

05 Apr 2008, 3:09 am

ebec11 wrote:

Don’t limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, you can achieve.
- Mary Kay Ash

In other words...go for it! Do what you want to do and let nothing stop you. :D

hairmonster85
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Apr 2008, 3:23 pm

i did a journalism degree in lincoln, and was of f**k all use. a year and a half after graduating, and i still haven't managed to find a job. have even thought about taking out frustrations on other people because of it.

try creative writing courses instead. they'll probably have a lesser chance of leading to insanity and paranoia, which is what's been plaguing my mind over the past months

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 8:19 pm

oblio wrote:
ebec11 wrote:

not quite sure...,
Well, I want it to be full-time, it's just not my long term goal. I want to be a poet :D

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 8:20 pm

MsBehaviour wrote:
ebec11 wrote:

Journalism & Media Studies. I've been an online Editor and it was a great job.

oblio wrote:
not quite sure..., what's wrong with a staedy job though?

They suck you in and stop you being creative.
I do need extended time though - how much will that affect me?

the_incident
Raven
Raven

08 Apr 2008, 12:34 pm

ebec11 wrote:

It depends on what kind of editor you want to be, and it's not always true there's not much socialization.

I worked as an Assistant Managing Editor for a large book publisher and Editor positions make excellent part-time jobs for student. I would recommend an English degree or another specialized degree in the subject you are editing (for example a Math degree if you're editing math textbooks).

Scheherazade
Raven
Raven

15 Apr 2008, 10:23 pm

Yeah, English is probably your best bet. That way you can study literature to help your writing, take creative writing courses, and also take courses in grammar. If your college is large or has a journalism department you may also be able to take courses in editing, professional writing (like technical writing or copywriting for ads/press releases), or magazine writing. You may want to explore schools that give you options to take those kind of courses toward your degree, rather than just studyng Romance literature and poetry (unless that's what you want to study...)

A journalism degree can also help, as can a specialized degree like communications or professional writing, but you might not enjoy it as much as a broader english program. When you're in school, just try to work for your school newspaper or literary journal and get some editing experience. Maybe do some internships at magazines, newspapers, or publishing houses.

As mentioned above, you can also help yourself by building expertise in a technical area. The easiest way to do this is to take a minor or a double major in another field. Math is a good option if you want to get into textbook publishing. If you have an affinity for computers, that's probably a really good area to specialize in. There are tons of technical writing and editing positions out there, and people who are good with computers aren't always good at writing. So if you can understand computers, you can always help convert user manuals and technical documents into user-friendly language. Other areas you might want to consider specalizing in are life sciences or a foreign language (then you can do translation as well as editing).

Of course, you don't need to specialize. Just having the degree in English/communications/journalism is usually the only educational requirement to be an editor. You usually need to have some experience in order to break in - so this could be through editing activities at school or internships. But there are alsosome post-degree courses out there in copyediting (eg mediabistro.com offers courses online) and this can also help you break in as an editor once you graduate.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 5:20 pm

Scheherazade wrote:
Yeah, English is probably your best bet. That way you can study literature to help your writing, take creative writing courses, and also take courses in grammar. If your college is large or has a journalism department you may also be able to take courses in editing, professional writing (like technical writing or copywriting for ads/press releases), or magazine writing. You may want to explore schools that give you options to take those kind of courses toward your degree, rather than just studyng Romance literature and poetry (unless that's what you want to study...)

A journalism degree can also help, as can a specialized degree like communications or professional writing, but you might not enjoy it as much as a broader english program. When you're in school, just try to work for your school newspaper or literary journal and get some editing experience. Maybe do some internships at magazines, newspapers, or publishing houses.

As mentioned above, you can also help yourself by building expertise in a technical area. The easiest way to do this is to take a minor or a double major in another field. Math is a good option if you want to get into textbook publishing. If you have an affinity for computers, that's probably a really good area to specialize in. There are tons of technical writing and editing positions out there, and people who are good with computers aren't always good at writing. So if you can understand computers, you can always help convert user manuals and technical documents into user-friendly language. Other areas you might want to consider specalizing in are life sciences or a foreign language (then you can do translation as well as editing).

Of course, you don't need to specialize. Just having the degree in English/communications/journalism is usually the only educational requirement to be an editor. You usually need to have some experience in order to break in - so this could be through editing activities at school or internships. But there are alsosome post-degree courses out there in copyediting (eg mediabistro.com offers courses online) and this can also help you break in as an editor once you graduate.
I want to take English, so I'm completely okay with that :D
I'm also in an extremely hard writing program at my high school (only 25/300 people who audition for the program get in)...would that help?

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 6:30 pm

Quote:
And the poets, I do believe that most of them write because they love poetry, as a commercial venture it's doomed for 99% of them.

Not to be a raincloud, but poetry as a main job doesn't often work.

Anyway, what kind of editor do you want to be? There's several kinds, and the areas you should concentrate on vary.

High school classes really only help to get into college. Past that, no one cares; after all, they're extremely varied, so what may be "extremely hard" at your high school might be "really easy" at another one and "impossible" at yet another. Also, classes tend to focus on one area of writing (ie, technical, essays, or creative writing). There are tons of wonderful essay writers who, quite frankly, suck at creative writing. There are also creative writers who aren't great with essays. It's not overly common for someone to be talented in both areas.

Three years!

Scheherazade
Raven
Raven

16 Apr 2008, 11:47 pm

As far as getting an editing job goes, basically you'll need:

1) A university degree. Preferably English/communications/journalism, but having a minor in something else will help you reach specialized markets (but is by no means necessary).

2) Some editing experience/training (either through coursework and/or on a school paper).

You can probably find people now who will pay you to edit their stuff (eg schoolwork), and that's always a good way to get some experience, but to get a "real" editing job these days, you usually need the 2 points above. Learn about editing, get some experience, and talk to people who work in the field. That's really all you need to do.

oblio
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 1 Observatree Close, Pointless Forest, Low Countries

17 Apr 2008, 1:52 am

ebec11 wrote:
oblio wrote:
ebec11 wrote:

not quite sure...,
Well, I want it to be full-time, it's just not my long term goal. I want to be a poet :D

aha, a fellow non-traveller
still, remember always althings even if full time are temproary

may your god forgive you

docgeorge
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Apr 2008, 1:02 am

I have long believed that in another life I could have made a good editor. It's a challenge taking someone's work and making it better. But it is an interpersonal job, sometimes requiring a lot of tact. I do OK in 1:1 interaction, much better than with groups and maybe could have pulled it off. English would be a good major, and writing a lot yourself. Not to mention reading, reading, reading.