Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

MADDuck
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 10:22 pm

I
was
laid off.

The first words out of my bosses' mouth were about the economical slowdown. Thanks Bush!!
Since it WAS a lay-off, I'll be able to collect unemployment so I'll get 60% (or was it 80%?!) of my pay while I look for another job.
crap.

Mom's in the hospital, 50 miles away where I cannot get to her.

I was switched to Prozac (which seems to work okay!)

And I haven't heard from Ana in a month.

$hit!! !

Joelsuf
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Apr 2008, 12:46 am

A friend of mine (NT) once got "laid off" from a job in a different sense...

He slept with his boss just before he quit his job. :lol:

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

18 Apr 2008, 1:48 pm

That sucks, I hope you land on your feet.

MADDuck
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 9:16 pm

velodog wrote:
That sucks, I hope you land on your feet.

Thanks, I'm still in free fall and the ground is rushing towards me.

The worse part?

I have to one to talk to. no co-workers, no Ana54, no GF, no nobody!!

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 9:35 pm

I hope your next job makes the last one look pathetic.

Scheherazade
Raven
Raven

18 Apr 2008, 10:14 pm

On a positive note, 60-80% of your pay is pretty decent compensation to help deal with a lousy situation. Here in Canada, I'm getting less than 40% - normally they give 55% but there's a maximum, so if you earn more than that you still get the same amount, whether you live in the most expensive city in the country or you live in the boonies. So my cheque pays my rent and my student loan payment, and if I don't make my minimum credit card payment I can also buy food. But if I want to work part-time to help get by, they'll just deduct it from my unemployment cheque. Boo. Apparently the option is work for free or else choose to be lazy.

MADDuck
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 4:35 am

Scheherazade wrote:
On a positive note, 60-80% of your pay is pretty decent compensation to help deal with a lousy situation. Here in Canada, I'm getting less than 40% - normally they give 55% but there's a maximum, so if you earn more than that you still get the same amount, whether you live in the most expensive city in the country or you live in the boonies. So my cheque pays my rent and my student loan payment, and if I don't make my minimum credit card payment I can also buy food. But if I want to work part-time to help get by, they'll just deduct it from my unemployment cheque. Boo. Apparently the option is work for free or else choose to be lazy.

Good point.
I'll be able to draw the amount for 6-7 months. I intend to apply for food help (food stamps or Lone Star card as it's called in Texas) next week. I just NOW got my last check from my job, and it'll pay rent and lights. I'll have to wait on the cable (TV & Internet) for a few weeks until the unemploy,emt kicks in fully.

I would receive to more or less depending on geography. luckliy I don't have a car payment (or related expenses) right now and I live slightly below my means, so I should be okay.

Still sucks.

I'd like to be in Canada too!

Scheherazade
Raven
Raven

21 Apr 2008, 12:26 am

MADDuck wrote:
Good point.
I'll be able to draw the amount for 6-7 months. I intend to apply for food help (food stamps or Lone Star card as it's called in Texas) next week. I just NOW got my last check from my job, and it'll pay rent and lights. I'll have to wait on the cable (TV & Internet) for a few weeks until the unemploy,emt kicks in fully.

I would receive to more or less depending on geography. luckliy I don't have a car payment (or related expenses) right now and I live slightly below my means, so I should be okay.

Still sucks.

I'd like to be in Canada too!

I guess it's a tradeoff - less money in my check but more healthcare here :?

Are you (like me) going to try to milk the unemployment for as long as it lasts? Around here you have to submit a weekly report to indicate what you've been doing to look for work. There are a few jobs I'd consider going back for right away, but otherwise it seems a waste to take the first random job that comes along. And of course, I'm thinking on behalf of my government ;) - if I take some lousy job they'll get less from me in taxes and I'll be more likely to be unemployed again in the future. So, you know, I have their best interests in mind when I continue to accept their check while waiting for the ideal job to come along!

Mishcana
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2008, 7:44 am

EI in Canada is good. Ask your Trainer about retraining opprotunities.

Of course, if you're not looking for retraining, it kinda sucks.