Illegal Mexicans steal all the jobs where I live...

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

The_Cinephile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2008, 10:47 pm

It's so annoying.
It's impossible to get an entry-level job around here.
I live in Goshen, IN.
We call it Little Mexico.
I don't have anything against Mexicans per se...I mean, I have Mexican friends.
It's the illegal ones that just don't seem to care that I have a problem with.
If there's a minimum wage job open, you can be sure a Mexican will apply within hours of posting a "now hiring" sign.

Undead undead undead
The virginal brides file past his tomb
Strewn with time's dead flowers
Bereft in deathly bloom
Alone in a darkened room

kip
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 11:04 pm

Trust me I know!

I live in Vegas... a LOT of them here too. It's like LA

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 11:09 pm

wow, that's news!

what is the jobs they are taking? I mean, which ones are you in competition for?

Merle

sinagua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 May 2008, 11:11 pm

/pulls up a chair and grabs the popcorn

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 11:22 pm

sinagua wrote:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Naw... the illegals aren't stealing your job.
They are just applying for the job.
The person who is responsible for hiring new employees is the one who gives people the job.

Perhaps your issue is with them?

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 11:26 pm

Just curious here.

How many Americans here besides me had ancestors who came to this country with practically nothing and took any job they can get, no matter how difficult, dirty, dangerous, and low paying it was?

How many Americans here had people getting mad at their ancestors because they were coming into this country and "stealing jobs?"

Don't bother telling me your ancestors were "legal." Back then anybody could get into this country.

I've done a lot of construction, so I've worked with a lot of illegal "Mexicans," a lot of them are actually from countries other than Mexico. They did the roughest, most dangerous jobs, and they got paid less than we did. Ain't saying I got along with every single one, but they generally treated me better than the locals.

I don't have any reason to be mad at them for doing exactly what my great-grandparents did and acting decent about it.

Hell, I'm an aspie, but I'm not an engineer or a movie director. I still have to take any job I can get, no matter how difficult, dirty, dangerous, and low paying it is.

Goddamn aspies, stealing jobs from normal people.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 11:33 pm

Dude. . .

the real americans were murdered by immigrants whose decendants include me and, I'm guessing, you.

When it comes to newer immigrants, well, it's really not classy to complain about having to share.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 11:36 pm

CanyonWind wrote:
...a lot of them are actually from countries other than Mexico...

Yeah, I'm not sure if he's talking about those Mexican-Mexicans, or those Irish-Mexicans, or those South and Central American-Mexicans, or the Asian-Mexicans..... :wink:
But at least he has 'Mexican' friends! so he's probably just talking about those 'bad'-Mexicans... who ever they are... the dirty rotten thieves!:D

At least we've finally locked down the Northern border and are keeping those Canadian-Mexicans out of this country! Them and that beer they drink!:twisted:

I lived in Texas on the border with Mexico for many years.
Down there... as in many parts of this country... 'Mexican' means anyone from south of the border... such a handy catch-all term huh? :roll:

sinagua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 May 2008, 11:37 pm

wsmac wrote:
sinagua wrote:

The person who is responsible for hiring new employees is the one who gives people the job.

I never said I had an issue with anyone. I am not the OP. I merely expressed an interest in this thread.

If I'm being asked for my own opinion on this, I personally believe that illegals are generally convenient scapegoats for larger socio-economic problems, and I'm glad to see many people taking umbrage with the OP's position.

Which is exactly why I hoped this thread would be worth watching. :)

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 11:50 pm

sinagua wrote:
wsmac wrote:
sinagua wrote:

I never said I had an issue with anyone. I am not the OP. I merely expressed an interest in this thread.

If I'm being asked for my own opinion on this, I personally believe that illegals are generally convenient scapegoats for larger socio-economic problems, and I'm glad to see many people taking umbrage with the OP's position.

NoNONo Sinagua... I was only laughing at your popcorn comment.

The rest of it was meant to be for the OP. Sorry about that!
I should have separated my comments better.

The problem is... this Mexican I hired to type this for me... just can't get good old red-blooded American typists anymore... where have they all gone??? :(

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 12:04 am

The_Cinephile wrote:
It's so annoying.
It's impossible to get an entry-level job around here.
I live in Goshen, IN.
We call it Little Mexico.
I don't have anything against Mexicans per se...I mean, I have Mexican friends.
It's the illegal ones that just don't seem to care that I have a problem with.
If there's a minimum wage job open, you can be sure a Mexican will apply within hours of posting a "now hiring" sign.

Wait a minute. When an employer hires someone, that person fills out an I-9 which means he/she has the legal right to work in the US. Along with that I-9, you have to supply documentation proving who you are and that are a legal resident. I suspect that a lot of these illegal immigrants are actually not hired as employees but as "subcontractors" by small businesses and simply paid cash or by a check. When you are hired as a subcontractor, there are different rules that apply.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 12:24 am

Jainaday wrote:
Dude. . .

the real americans were murdered by immigrants whose decendants include me and, I'm guessing, you.

When it comes to newer immigrants, well, it's really not classy to complain about having to share.

Dudette . . . it wasn't called America when those people lived here, and they probably aren't interested in being called the original Americans. Not that I begrudge them being here before my ancestors plopped their white butts on the Midwestern plains. But I don't idealize them as they were ALSO immigrants

Quote:
A new study published November 26, 2007 (see PLoS Genetics), which was led by University of Michigan and University College London researchers, seems to suggest that the Bering land bridge migration occurred during one specific time period which was 12,000 years ago, that every human who migrated across the land bridge all came from Eastern Siberia during that time period, and that every native American is directly descended from that same group of Eastern Siberian migrants. The claim suggests that a "unique genetic variant widespread in natives across both continents — suggesting that the first humans in the Americas came in a single migration or multiple waves from a single source, not in waves of migrations from different sources".

Merle

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 12:39 am

Silver_Meteor wrote:
Wait a minute. When an employer hires someone, that person fills out an I-9 which means he/she has the legal right to work in the US. Along with that I-9, you have to supply documentation proving who you are and that are a legal resident. I suspect that a lot of these illegal immigrants are actually not hired as employees but as "subcontractors" by small businesses and simply paid cash or by a check. When you are hired as a subcontractor, there are different rules that apply.

There is a network in many places where the following takes place...

Someone obtains 'clean' social security numbers and sells them to illegals.
Same with some other forms of I.D.
Some people buy cars really cheap (really cheap cars also), that are also 'clean' and sell or 'rent' these to illegals.

Once an illegal has worked here long enough to save up money, they start doing things like renting their own apartments.. instead of living in a group home situation.
They often.. at least from what I've seen personally... rent dilapidated housing that our 'slum' lords keep up specifically for folks like these.

Sometimes after a government amnesty, for example, these illegals will become legals and then they no longer need those old social security numbers, etc., so they can now have a clean identity and any new employers can hire them with confidence that the INS won't be on their backs about it.

I knew of one case where the employer thought the guy he hired had a valid SSN... turns out the employee shows up a year or so later with "su numero es bueno", giving the employer a real SSN for that employee.

Like I said... there are networks throughout this country whereby an illegal can obtain the necessary documents to 'fly under the radar' for a while until hopefully they can acquire 'good' documents.

And it's not just the 'low-life' criminal element that's supporting it all.
These SSN's don't all come from being ripped off from real people... alive or deceased... there have been situations where employees of the Social Security Office were giving out numbers for a price.

sinagua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2008, 12:46 am

wsmac wrote:
sinagua wrote:
wsmac wrote:
sinagua wrote:

Oh good, glad I wasn't misunderstood - and that I wasn't snarkier! ;) lol!

Having spent 11 years living just over an hour's drive from Mexico, and living in a very Hispanic-prevalent city, I feel I have a pretty good handle on the topic. At the very least, I've had the opportunity to observe this issue from a myriad of perspectives, and unlike the OP I've known, worked with, and broken bread with many immigrants, "legal" and otherwise. In my experience, one's "legal" status has no direct bearing on a person's character, or their worth as a human being. I've had people steal from me and/or try to cheat me, and I've had people go out of their way to make sure I didn't give them too much change for a purchase.

If you look for the bad in people, you'll always find it. The same holds true for the good.

And I have been incredibly disheartened by the "Juan Crow" attitudes prevalent in this country (although I know such discrimination is by no means restricted to the U.S. - just look at South Africa recently).

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 12:57 am

sinagua wrote:

And I have been incredibly disheartened by the "Juan Crow" attitudes prevalent in this country (although I know such discrimination is by no means restricted to the U.S. - just look at South Africa recently).

Juan = John
James (Jim) = Diego

it's the Diego Crow attitude, isn't it?

Merle

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 1:02 am

Hey, TheCinephile... I really don't mean to make your difficulty at getting a job into a joke.

I grew up on the border so I do understand about illegals working all the low-paying jobs that U.S. citizens don't get hired for.

I disagree that the illegals are 'stealing' jobs though.
You can blame the firms they are employed by.
The businesses can blame the governement and the unions for 'having' to hire illegals.
It's an issue that has many fronts but blaming the illegals won't solve anything.

The only issue I have with illegal aliens is that they do come here illegally... that's all.
There is a system set up to allow documented alien workers into this country and I would like to see that utilized rather than crossing the border illegally.

But.. what I'd also like to see is those countries that illegal aliens come from (and as I jokingly referred to above.. they come from many countries and continents) do a better job of providing for their own people.
I think it is a real shame when a person has to travel so far just to get a job and live in fear of losing that job because they are caught and deported.

I won't argue how hard illegal aliens work because I have known many in my lifetime and I do agree that they often work the s**t jobs for less pay than an American worker would AND under worse conditions. Not every job an illegal gets is dangerous or so underpaid, but from my experience.. many are.

So.... I'd like to see their home country take care of their people so families can stay together.
I'd like to see our system of temp. workers be better run and adhered to, which I feel would benefit everyone.

And I do hope you find a job.