How do I get a job with a physical disability?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 9:43 pm

alien842 wrote:
886 wrote:
sell movie tickets.

or rip them.

theaters hire people with disabilities all the time

Not here. Even the ticket rippers have to stand up.

really? an old dude i used to work with got a hernia and he sat to rip tickets. then at the other theater, a guy with cerebral paulsy sat in a wheelchair and ripped tickets. i think he still does.

alien842
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Oct 2008, 10:18 am

Well theres not much else I can do. There's a couple temp agencies left that I haven't been to, and the postal service is hiring. Maybe they have something I can do.

Other than that, I'm going to have to meet with employers of s**t jobs like cashier work and practically beg on my knees for them to hire me with my medical problem and let me bring in a stool.

If that doesn't work, then I'll just have to take a job and f*****g faint anyway. (Trust me, it'l happen within the first day or 2 of working) Maybe if the boss sees what happens, but knows that I'm a good worker that just wants to do my job, they'll feel sympathetic enough to let me have a stool.

And I'm also going to try maid services. If I can clean places working by myself, then I can sit down briefly every few minutes if I need to.

alien842
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Oct 2008, 10:31 am

Update: Nevermind the maid services. I just called and they won't consider anyone without a car.

f**k it all; nobody gives a s**t about anyone with a health problem and I'm going to fall through the cracks because of it. All I f*****g want is a NORMAL life and I WANT to work, but at a job that I can physically do without having to worry about getting sick and fainting. It seems like I'm never going to have that, and I just wish I could die right now. I swear to god, if I lose the place I'm living at, I am going to kill myself. There's NO f*****g WAY I'm going to live in a homeless shelter.

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 10:40 am

alien842 wrote:
Other than that, I'm going to have to meet with employers of sh** jobs like cashier work and practically beg on my knees for them to hire me with my medical problem and let me bring in a stool.

What happened with the Americans with Disabilities Act? You were going to see someone about it.

Also, here is a site, http://www.disabilityaccessinfo.ca.gov/lawsregs.htm
of disability laws in CA.
http://www.disabilityaccessinfo.ca.gov/employ.htm
this is the part of the site specifically dealing with employment issues.

And
http://www.local.com/
If you go here and look up 'disability law' and your zip code or city/state, you get a list of disability sites. I tried it with Los Angeles CA and Boston, MA and both worked. I don't know where you actually live - in a previous post you were considering moving and asked what states are least expensive to live in.

Finally, I looked up 'california disability employment' on ask.com and got this:
http://www.ask.com/web?qsrc=2417&o=0&l= ... employment
Maybe you could check your own favorite search engine and see what comes up, assuming you haven't already. I know that's an insulting assumption - sorry, but I just don't want to leave any stone unturned.

alien842
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Oct 2008, 11:48 am

They won't help me get a job. All they do is provide doctor's services and stuff like that, which I don't need right now.

And I live in Nevada now. I left California because my savings will go a little farther here.

I just sent off for a US Postal Service kit and I'm planning to register and take the test. This is my last real option, so I only hope this works. In the meantime, I'll have to try a minimum wage thing until then. I guess I'll have to grovel at the employers feet like a f*****g dog and ask for a stool.

Owendust
Raven
Raven

13 Oct 2008, 6:48 pm

You: "I have a condition that causes me to faint if I stand up too long. Could I have a stool, so that I don't end up fainting on the job?"

Them: "Sure, there's one in the back office you can use."

You: "Thanks"

No groveling required.

Seriously, your posts make it sound like you're asking for the blood of their first born child. If the only accommodation you need is a stool, I don't see what the major problem is. If the problem is that you are paralyzed by anxiety at the idea of asking for a stool, or if you are simply too proud to ask, then that is another issue entirely.

My sister has fibro-myalga and has been forced by her condition to ask for much more than something as simple as a stool to sit on. My roommate's girlfriend has multiple sclerosis, and has had to ask for certain accommodations in her job as a secretary(before that, she was a cashier). As for me, due to my brittle bones, at one point, I had to force myself to walk into my boss's office and tell him that I needed to take a week off, because my hands hurt so bad that I couldn't hold my tools. At the end of that week, when my hands were still hurting, I decided to quit.

This is just something that goes along with having a physical disability. Yes, it sucks, but that's how it is.