How old were you when you got your first job?

Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 3:15 pm

My first job was volunteering at 15.

Summer 2005, as a volunteer for Multnomah County Library

Fall 2005-Red Cross, preparing medical kits for shipping to other Red Cross centers

Summer 2006-returned to Multnomah County Library

Fall 2006-Oregon Public Broadcasting, recording oral presentations of literature

Fall 2007-Laughing Horse Books, a non-profit bookstore

In opinion, the best volunteering gig was Red Cross.

Volunteering at OPB was a bad idea in perspective,
but I did it anyhow.

Laughing Horse was great, everyone there was nice,
especially this pretty PSU student with Aspergers/ADHD.
We hit it off very well and became friends.

I did turn down a job offer from Multnomah County Library
because of school. No regrets, but since I start at PCC in September,
looking for a job will be even harder to do.

Gilray
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jul 2008, 10:18 pm

First Job at 18: Drawing Plans for a Surveyor

23 Jul 2008, 11:56 pm

18. Working in the high school library once a week and working at a folk shop.

kitty2
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jul 2008, 8:31 am

Never had a job where I get paid for or working for a boss, although once i worked in a bread factory for 1 afternoon and at the end of the day I was said I never have to come back. I complained about my wage which was ridiculously low and said the company was exploiting its workers. Since that day I never have worked for a boss or a big company again.
I have been working as a volunteer for 13 years with keeping my benefits because I was doing something usefull for society :wink:, but recently I started my own business.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 1:47 pm

16. A summer job working with a college kid who did landscaping.

At 15 I was doing some yard work for an elderly couple near my house, but I don't really count that as a "job"

Ditto for delivering afternoon papers when I was 12... I was so slow, probably the worst paperboy ever! :lol:

MintLemonade
Raven
Raven

25 Jul 2008, 10:28 pm

21, teaching assistant for a professor and assistant for the psychology department at school. My school was so small I was able to enjoy it alot.

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 10:32 pm

I worked my first real job at 17 at grocery store. I started working at 13- volunteer work.

BlackMetalIstKrieg
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jul 2008, 8:49 am

I've been supporting myself in various trades (street vending, graphic design, music teaching and the like) for 6-7 years and I've never had a 'formal' job such as that of a secretary - I've interviewed for hundreds and have never been able to get one. I'm in my 20s.

and battle forth towards a brighter dawn

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 11:56 am

Nineteen, if a paper round counts.
The ad in the window said £20 per week, but as soon as I accepted the job it dropped down to £18 per week.
Welcome to the real world, as they say!

creepycrawly36
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2008, 11:58 pm

my first 4 jobs my parents got for me, yeah I know a little pathetic, but I have worked regularly for the last 20 years at least.

My 1st was working at the post office (xmas help) my mother did the hiring there when I was a teenager, worked there for at least 4 xmases

My 2nd was at a restaurant (my father knew the owner) I worked there when I was 16 for almost 2 years, I actually didn't mind working there

My 3rd was for a catering company (family friends)

My 4th was at Expo 86, my mother knew someone (couldn't handle dealing with the public so I quit within 4 months)

Have had various since then related to my field, but I work for the post office again (mom didn't get me this gig, she's been gone awhile)

Usagi1992
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 12:10 am

I was 20 years old; I worked for a small-time local greeting card publisher, for 2 weeks.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 4:37 pm

1st real job was working in the public information office while I was in college.

11, but I was drafted not a volunteer as my parents had their own business. If I refused, I got a beating.

9-12: sex toy for a friend of my parents.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

Deathisi
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Aug 2008, 12:17 pm

Did alot of volunteer work between the ages of 15-18 (while finishing school + going to college for 2 years)

Then got 1st proper paid fulltime job at 19

--lee

When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. -Stephen Roberts

applesauce
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2008, 4:07 am

Sixteen. I worked for two years as a 'page' (saturday assistant) in a library while in sixth form. I guess that's pretty normal, actually, though my Dad really got me the job ^_^.

Went to uni for three years, survived nine days working in a toy shop before quitting...and then got my current job where I've been for four and a bit years :) What I do is library work but it's heavily computer related as well as dealing a lot with the public and occasionally teaching people about computers and stuff...I also have countywide responsibility for article requests so I deal with a lot of university libraries and stuff. I sort of think that my background experience as a page and as a university student, plus my aspie computerness really helped me get that far :)

I have never yet worked full time though :S

Apple

Ruraji
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2008, 3:28 am

14: Summer job doing data inputting for my dad.
17: 6 month contract doing data inputting for the ministry of agriculture.
18: Working in a DIY store for about 9 months.
19: 1 months summer job looking after all the plants in the village.

thefej
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Aug 2008, 6:18 pm

I was 8. I started my own little "business." I mowed lawns during warm weather, and shoveled snow during the winter.
Lawns were mowed for $5.00 each, and I removed snow for $2.00 from driveways and sidewalks. Despite my obvious violation of both "fair trade" and child labor laws, not to mention not paying taxes; I had a good time. The work did not bother me and I was making about fifty bucks a week! In 1985, at 8 years-old, that was like winning the lottery! All of the other kids I knew got about 2 dollars a week, and I was making 50! I remember putting a down payment of 5 dollars at a lay-a-way department at a K-Mart for an Optimus Prime, and paying it off the next week! I still had money left over! I bought a couple of G.I. Joes, and completely wasted the money! But at the time, That was the coolest thing in the world! Honestly, I am glad I had the chance to have such a temporary happiness. Oh, by the way, I still have the eighties optimus prime! It has been played with, but I keep it to remind me of why I work.