Dealing With Criticisms From Gatekeepers In Feild

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Goose
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Dec 2008, 5:42 pm

I am a professional writer and an Aspie. I recently released my third book. And, I gave a copy to my book to one of the big names in my feild, to inform him of my work. He responded very negatively. He gave me three pages of what he calls constructive criticism, really just tearing apart my work. Very nitpicking, and the like. I didn't take it well. A family emergacy and my birthday happened right at the same time, so it got me all upset. I am having trouble fitting into and being accepted by my feild. Do any of you struggle with taking criticism graciously. without getting discouraged or upset? What do you recommend for me? How should I respond? I responded with a short e-mail telling him thanking him and saying I am not in a possition at this point to respond to his criticisms-he sent back an e-mail with more criticisms and a short answer of what he liked about it, and telling me that a response is not required? But, most disturbing of them all-why can't people who want the same thing can not tell the difference between friend and foe, or that they are on the same side? Why can't gatekeepers be encourging of young people started-out, particularly since we are talking about a cause, instead of being discouraging and negative? How is being like this in thier self-interest, or the interest of the cause they are promoting? It is so frusterating! And, I am not the competive type. How do you deal with competitive, adverserial environmentals? I am much more mutualistic. I also don't feel like I have the social skills to deal with competition and adversialism?

What do you think? What types of wisdom or encouragement can you provide?

macushla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2008, 6:46 pm

When ever I've gotten a really "nit pick" criticism on any of my work I couldn't help but wonder if I've just met another person with Asperger's syndrome/ measurable on the spectrum.

Goose

09 Dec 2008, 5:20 pm

It definately crossed my mind. Not with this guy, but with the doctoral program I was asked to life. One professor I had there, which I had difficulty with dealing with his perfectionism, even had what I believed to be mannorisms.

There does seem to be "in the closet" Aspies, out there. Sometimes they can be less sympathetic than certian neurotypicals.

Thanks for your insight!! !