Is perpetual anger an NT thing? Or just how we see it?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mindovermatter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Aug 2009, 11:10 pm

perpetual anger is a "having the weight of the world collapse on your shoulders" thing. Many aspies have there parents holding all or some of their weight so there is less to be angry about. If it weren't for laughter, everyone would be irritated and angry all the time.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2009, 11:20 pm

whoa, i only thought people acted like that in food service! what gives? lol. sounds like they hate their job, too. or maybe it's because they are under so much pressure, they can't help but steam a little... because they work with incompetent fools. not that i'm calling you an incompetent fool at all; it's just what i've observed in the pizzeria...

hmm. no, i've experienced perpetual anger before, but mainly in high school, where i was forced around and stuff. maybe these people are forced around in their job? who knows...

Quote:
No, it's an IT-thing. Some people yell at us in an effort to either cover up their own incompetence, or make their work seem more important than it really is.

that is also true.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 6:58 am

Frankly, I'd think people with AS would be more prone to the perpetual anger thing considering how much we struggle to understand how the world works and fit in with it (often failing).

I have a lot of anger issues that are legitimate, but I recently realized the AS issue of being prone to meltdowns explains why I have such a short fuse when it comes to little things going wrong in my daily life.

blackomen
Toucan
Toucan

02 Oct 2009, 11:20 pm

Doesn't bother me at all.. my internal "censor" seems to automatically label anyone who yells and screams at me as "this person's a f----ing idiot".. not that i'm consciously aware and thinking that..

My sensitivity to anger, on a scale of 1 to 10 is about a 2.5.

With 1 being completely oblivious to even the most horrendous burst of anger

And 10 being ready to run away as if one's life is threatened.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 11:42 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Frankly, I'd think people with AS would be more prone to the perpetual anger thing considering how much we struggle to understand how the world works and fit in with it (often failing).

I have a lot of anger issues that are legitimate, but I recently realized the AS issue of being prone to meltdowns explains why I have such a short fuse when it comes to little things going wrong in my daily life.

QFT - very true and relevant to my life.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Boomshika
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2009, 3:07 pm

LabPet wrote:
But workers can be really melodramatic. I've watched a human YELL, then kick, a photocopier!! ! Why? The photocopier doesn't care, I promise! Becoming angry with a photocopier is futile! Instead, why don't they do a diagnostic, like check the ink cartridge, paper supply, power cord, etc?
As to why a worker would be angry with you, about another event they might be upset with (that probably doesn't have anything to do with you)....sigh. NT emotions are fickle. Refer to above about that poor photocopier. Right, just take it out on the photocopier. As if it's a personal affront (it's not, NT, get over it).

why do i do things like kick objects that i'm frustrated with? i am certainly NOT an NT. but i'm emotional, and sure, afterward i'll do all the diagnostic ish, but upon first being frustrated, i'll sure as hell kick or slap inanimate objects. i suppose for an aspie, i am once again the strange one?

DenvrDave
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2009, 12:23 pm

"Is perpetual anger an NT thing? Or just how we see it?"

I can only speak for myself, and I am most certainly not perpetually angry. In fact, so far from it. I strive to be perpetually happy. It is difficult sometimes and therefore impossible, but perpetual happiness is my constant target. Of course I get angry sometimes, but with age I've learned how to recognize anger, process it quickly, and get over it in a relatively short amount of time.

I have met many people who appear to be perpetually angry, or just overall miserable every second of their lives, regardless of neurological status, so these people do exist with some frequency and it would not surprise me if you have run into a few of them also.

One thing I learned when working with an ASD friend, he sometimes thinks I am angry based on my tone of voice when I am in fact not angry. I think that he has difficulty distinguishing subtle differences in my tone of voice and lumps them all under "angry." For example, my voice takes on different "serious" tones when I am in a hurry, preoccupied with something else, or concentrating on something. I don't think my friend can tell the difference from my tone of voice, and it all just comes out as "angry." What I have done is taken the time to talk with my friend and explain to him that I am not angry with him, just in a hurry, or preoccupied, or whatever it was I was doing. I have also learned to be more sensitive to my tone of voice, and try not to sound angry from my friend's perspective.

racooneyes
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Oct 2009, 12:50 pm

I've never seen a perpetually angry NT, I've never seen anyone as angry as me.

get all confused and then mix up the dates.