Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Starrsy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 4:23 am

I want to do work experience at lionhead studios, (Game compmany who made fable) and i dont know which subject i need. Please help.

Abangyarudo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 6:42 am

Starrsy wrote:
I want to do work experience at lionhead studios, (Game compmany who made fable) and i dont know which subject i need. Please help.

clarify your question please? Your trying to get an internship with Lionhead Studios?

Starrsy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 1:11 pm

^ Yep i am. I would like to work there but i dont know what i need. Im assuming art, ICT and english.

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 4:23 pm

Getting an internship at a game company is no easy task. I would imagine the vast majority only take college students who are studying programming, art design, game design, etc.

First you would need to decide what area of game design you would want to focus on. Generally there's programming, art design, and level design.

One of my best friends works for id Software (company that makes Quake, etc.) so I have seen someone go through it :P

arkityp
Raven
Raven

20 Dec 2008, 9:11 pm

go to game design school. unfortunately, this is what i am having to do to get into blizzard.

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 10:45 am

arkityp wrote:
go to game design school. unfortunately, this is what i am having to do to get into blizzard.

Well of course you have to go to school for it. What made you think you wouldn't? Unless you wanted to try starting out in customer service...

I think it's a common misconception that anyone can make video games. It's a science, it takes particular skill sets, and as such it has a whole area of education set aside for it.

Also, I thought it would be important to note that you have to really REALLY REALLY love what you're doing to make it in that industry. An 80 hour work week is a light one when you're close to a deadline. My friend has worked some loooooooong hours. It's not uncommon for him to leave for work at the normal time (9 AM or whatever) and for his girlfriend to still be waiting for him to be done at 10 PM-midnight.

Benjamming
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Dec 2008, 5:17 am

Starrsy wrote:

Contact Lionhead studios and ask if they will accept you. You won't get a production internship without studying game design/3d/art design but you might get some sort of menial work (making coffee, being a runner etc). I agree with Kirska - Even with the right qualifications its intensely competitive. If its your passion, then go for it and be better than everyone else at what you do.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 1:47 pm

Get your foot in the door as a tester. With as many game killing bugs Fable 2 shipped with, they could definitely use more testers :)

Starrsy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 7:02 am

I was going to go for level designer or tester.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 3:27 am

probably, you might look into some game creation software; level makers (there's some for most games, and they've been out forever), maybe some modelers (I think Gmax and milkshape are 'game-like', although no-one in the industry really uses them).

Check out some of the British 'art' mags (3d World, Digit, Computer Art, et al), which have industry news on 3d work of all kinds, and also will have a CD in them each month with some sort of software, often modelers, some demos, etc) It will at least give you an idea of what you're in for.