Why do all these people have to be involved?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

PacerD
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Feb 2009, 1:27 pm

Every time I make any financial decision whatsoever, I have to consult with at least three people: my service coordinator, my VESID counselor, my job coach, and possibly more. I am on SSD, have an IEP, and am applying to ISS; I'm told that is the reason that every one of these individuals has to know everything and sometimes be told repeatedly. I am irritated that every financial decision that I make (if I decide to work, if I lose a job/quit a job, what KIND of job do I want, etc) is so closely monitored and requires meetings and consultation.

Is there any way around this level of intrusion? If anyone else has to deal with this problem, how do you cope?

"From now on, I'll connect the dots my own way."

- Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 3:43 pm

I'm on SSDI and when I lived in NC, I had a job coach, a DD casemanager, a therapist and a doctor. Having a team of people to work with you can be very beneficial.

My AS BF has a payee and a caseworker and he gets his money through that system. He hasn't been frustrated with it because he is so relieved he doesn't have to manage his own money.

I'd suggest you communicate about your frustrations, because I do understand why you're frustrated. You must feel like you have to go through a committee to get enough money for a soda pop. It sucks.

Still, communication is key.

Katie_WPG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Feb 2009, 12:29 pm

PacerD wrote:
Every time I make any financial decision whatsoever, I have to consult with at least three people: my service coordinator, my VESID counselor, my job coach, and possibly more. I am on SSD, have an IEP, and am applying to ISS; I'm told that is the reason that every one of these individuals has to know everything and sometimes be told repeatedly. I am irritated that every financial decision that I make (if I decide to work, if I lose a job/quit a job, what KIND of job do I want, etc) is so closely monitored and requires meetings and consultation.

Is there any way around this level of intrusion? If anyone else has to deal with this problem, how do you cope?

It can be pretty frustrating.

The only thing I can think of would be to simply drop out of the social services. The reason why all of these people need to be informed is because they all want to be on the same page, so that they can manage your life FOR you. This of course is based in the assumption that because you're using their services, you must be incompetant in managing your life.

If you don't want to be treated like you're incompetant, then the solution is to do it on your own. If you're not ready, then you'll just have to grin and bear it. Such is a "disabled person's life".

PacerD
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Feb 2009, 2:49 pm

Katie_WPG wrote:

It can be pretty frustrating.

The only thing I can think of would be to simply drop out of the social services. The reason why all of these people need to be informed is because they all want to be on the same page, so that they can manage your life FOR you. This of course is based in the assumption that because you're using their services, you must be incompetant in managing your life.

If you don't want to be treated like you're incompetant, then the solution is to do it on your own. If you're not ready, then you'll just have to grin and bear it. Such is a "disabled person's life".

Very true. I think my biggest need right now is to find a job that I actually enjoy well enough to remain in it long term (i.e., no ability/skill barriers) to get insurance that is enough to replace state aid, and to make a bit more while I'm at it (for a car, PAYING for said medical insurance and auto insurance). I could probably hack it in my city with $5,000 more per year than I was making in my last job, but I haven't found any place that pays that much more yet. Once I do, I'd be more likely to go without services.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 3:14 pm

All those people are involved because taking care of disabled people is big business and you are the commodity.

PacerD
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Feb 2009, 3:47 pm

There may be some truth to that. There very much seems to be a fear-based mentality amongst service professionals that work with the disabled. Statements such as "if you do work/make too much money/exhibit too much independence, you'll lose your disability and/or insurance benefits," abound. There seems to be little interest in helping the disabled to gain any real independence, but to maintain a lifestyle that looks something like it but still utilizes benefits. I had to fight my service coordinator (and still do) to get her to understand that surrendering my benefits and living an independent lifestyle in terms of finance, insurance, employment and transportation is exactly what I'm trying to do.

In my state, many of these employment, service coordination, and mental health programs are Medicaid funded. While I'm sure that the desire to help me is very real, I wonder if the type of help I request is what my service professionals are willing to offer. If many people like me realized that it is possible to get off state and federal financial and insurance assistance, I wonder what would happen to funding? Until I gain financial independence, all I can do is keep advocating for myself.

MrMisanthrope
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2009, 4:02 pm

When you accept money from the government, you accept their rules.
And their #1 rule is - Make Busywork for Government Employees so they don't look as totally useless as they usually are.

True Liberty Expressed as Fiction: http://www.bigheadpress.com/tpbtgn

t0
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 6:07 pm

MrMisanthrope wrote:
When you accept money from the government, you accept their rules.

QFT. If you don't want the hassle of dealing with the government, find a way to stop taking money from them.

kbergren21
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Feb 2009, 9:21 pm

#2 Never trust others with your future or YOUR MONEY! Thats an easy way to get screwed.