my job dilema, and I have some questions. please help. :(

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

houseofcards
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Apr 2009, 7:13 pm

The place I want to work won't call. How long is it supposed to take before they throw out my application, and should I then put another in? How long does it usually take for a call-back?

Should I try to get another job while I'm waiting even if I hate the job I take? How will I cope with the depression it gives me? I already feel it coming. I don't want to be stuck with a job I hate forever while I'm waiting for the other place to call!!

Homer: Oh, no! I'm not making two stops!

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 7:20 pm

Call them first thing on monday morning before your depression takes over and you dont get the energy to call at all!

Im not the best advicer concerning how long time to wait but I just think that calling them and ask about your applications whereabouts just shows great interest and that you are eager for it. Just present yourself, telling you are highly interested in the job position they offer and would kindly like to ask how the progress of your application is going. They might also easier remember you and if you are lucky after that they take a closer look at your application. Good Luck!

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 8:36 pm

regular wait time between interview and calling is one week, at least here. If you don'tget a call, call them.
And yes, always be on the look for other jobs. Always.

houseofcards
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Apr 2009, 3:30 am

Are you sure I won't make them mad or annoy them if I go in and ask how my application is coming along? I feel like it will, and it might make things worse or I'll end up feeling really foolish.

Homer: Oh, no! I'm not making two stops!

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 6:43 am

How long will it take?

Sometimes you wont even get a call back.
Sometimes they tell you they will send a paper with the notification.
Sometimes just waiting for that paper can take 6 months (goverment jobs).

And if you call them once (and not annoy them every minute) i do not think they percieve it as you are bugging them.

At the most, i have called a potential employer 3 times, i think i had a month inbetween each call and i checked up on their recruitment process since they had "paused" it to hire some developer instead, but were going to start the recruitment process all over again "really soon".

Quote:
How will I cope with the depression it gives me?

My advice: Do not put so much energy in hoping for the perfect job to come and jump into your lap like a kitten. You will only be dissapointed. Send out more than one applications to different jobs: the only garantees in life comes with toasters and TV's.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 8:57 am

When I apply for a job, if possible I ask when I might hear something from them. At least that gives me an idea of when I should expect that they are not interested in me.

When I only can mail in the package, I don't expect to hear back from them. I'm lucky if 1 in 100 applications results in a call back.

cl7
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Apr 2009, 5:48 pm

houseofcards wrote:
The place I want to work won't call. How long is it supposed to take before they throw out my application, and should I then put another in? How long does it usually take for a call-back?

Should I try to get another job while I'm waiting even if I hate the job I take? How will I cope with the depression it gives me? I already feel it coming. I don't want to be stuck with a job I hate forever while I'm waiting for the other place to call!!

You already received good advice, but I'd like to add that you should not obsess about one particular application, and certainly you shouldn't wait for the result of just one application to submit the next.
If you land two jobs, even better, you can drop the one that seems worse, and use the situation to get better conditions.

Try only things that you deem interesting, but you'll never have the 100% complete picture until you actually work there; there will be good sides and bad sides to every job out there.