Help, my 3 year old thinks she's a cat

Page 4 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

StatMama
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2010, 11:43 pm

You could provide your daughter with some toy cats, cat dishes, pretend cat food, cat collars for her toy kitties (the stretchy ones, which you can find at pet stores, for safety) and cat books/magazines. I recommend this, as it is a healthy way to nurture her interest while avoiding sharing with the real kitty. Explain that, just as everyone has their own dinner plates, she and the real kitty have their own supplies. Spend some time going over examples of how to kindly and gently play with the cat, though don't expect miracles right away - my son is almost 5 and we still have to remind him of how to be nice to kitty sometimes. He has stuffed kitties, and we play with those for fun and to teach him how real kitties prefer to be petted, brushed, handled, etc.

I would not punish a child for a special interest. Explain that the litter box is kitty's toilet, not someplace kitty plays, and that kitty food is not healthy for people, just like people food is not healthy for kitties.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 11:07 am

I used to want to be a dog just like the dog we used to have.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2021, 7:41 am

Gee, way to resurrect a thread that's been dormant for 11 years!

The OP's daughter is 14 now. I kind of wonder if she found a more acceptable channel for her interest in cats, assuming she's still into them. Something like volunteer in an animal shelter, where she gets to play with the cats after her shift.

Petchicken
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jan 2022, 2:58 am

Oh my gosh I was the same way. Had a magical imagination I truly believed I was a cat. My mom just played along with it. I grew out of it.