Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 6:16 pm

I know, in New York State, you can either be charged with "impaired driving" when you're "under the limit," or even "driving while intoxicated" if you act like you're over the legal limit, even if you're under the legal limit.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 6:42 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I know, in New York State, you can either be charged with "impaired driving" when you're "under the limit," or even "driving while intoxicated" if you act like you're over the legal limit, even if you're under the legal limit.

Good point.Texas says buzzed driving is drunk driving in ad campaigns a lot.In Texas you can be arrested even if you are under the legal limit.I looked and it said it could be considered per se intoxication.

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 8:26 pm

I'm so sorry your dad is being so manipulative and disrespectful towards you.

Drunk or not, reckless driving is an offense that can be punished by law. In Texas, a reckless driver is broadly described as: "A person who drives a vehicle in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property." In my personal opinion and as someone who drives in a high-traffic area, I have disdain for reckless drivers because even if they don't harm themselves, they may cause someone else to crash.

Your father's argument about "all the cops have driven drunk" is not only incorrect (I'm sure), but also not a justification for his own poor behavior. For that matter, his remarks to you are unjustified, too.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 11:00 pm

Install a car breathalyzer

"Take the keys. Call a cab. Friends don't let friends drive drunk"

Refuse to get in the car after the driver drank alcohol. Call an Uber or cab.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 5:13 pm

Given how often your father uses situations involving the car to mess with you, I would stop getting in the car with him. If that means you never leave the house, so be it. Use the little you do have in your control to create the boundaries you need. With any luck, he'll get the message you're serious. He messes with you because he knows there isn't actually anything you can or will do to stop him. Show him there is something you can and will do.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 10:52 pm

I think your dad was in the wrong. He shouldn't have sneaked the margarita into the car.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 12:14 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Given how often your father uses situations involving the car to mess with you, I would stop getting in the car with him. If that means you never leave the house, so be it. Use the little you do have in your control to create the boundaries you need. With any luck, he'll get the message you're serious. He messes with you because he knows there isn't actually anything you can or will do to stop him. Show him there is something you can and will do.

.I will have no way to get to medical appointments if I stop getting the car with him.And he is always using his phone and texting when he is on the highway and on public roadways.So thats very dangerous too.Is it bad to have gasoline tank in the inside of his vehicle because he made me ride around with a container of gasoline in the pickup cab and that was scary.Sorry if the gasoline thing is obvious.Its just not obvious to me because I am on the spectrum but I have been around long enough to know that you just dont mess around with gasoline

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 3:20 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

.I will have no way to get to medical appointments if I stop getting the car with him.And he is always using his phone and texting when he is on the highway and on public roadways.So thats very dangerous too.Is it bad to have gasoline tank in the inside of his vehicle because he made me ride around with a container of gasoline in the pickup cab and that was scary.Sorry if the gasoline thing is obvious.Its just not obvious to me because I am on the spectrum but I have been around long enough to know that you just dont mess around with gasoline

If you speak to the pastor at your church, perhaps some volunteers can be found to help you with the medical appointments. Tell him your father enjoys messing with you by doing things while driving that he knows you consider dangerous and inappropriate, and you would like to avoid the issue by not getting in the car with him. Avoid going into details; this is about how you feel, and your desire to find a solution.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 1:30 pm

Pteranomom wrote:
Why was your dad drinking *your* margarita? You should have finished it at the restaurant.

1. The alcohol:
A couple of sips of alcohol = harmless. You cannot get drunk off a couple of sips. Legally, you can still drive after a couple of sips. I would say nothing about this except "hey! That's mine! Get your own beer!"

2. Open container:
Yes, it's illegal, but an open container won't crash the car. If your dad wants to explain why he has an open margarita to the cops, that's his business, not yours. Say nothing.

3. Texting and driving:
Actually super dangerous and could kill you all.

4. You freaking out (your words):
Also dangerous, because you could distract the driver.

you're trying to give the situation symmetry it doesnt have. Yes screaming at a driver might be dangerous. But the driver drinking and or texting while driving is worse. And yes..an open container wont wreck a car. But the cops could pull you over for a burned out tail light, and THEN see your open container, and then you're up the creek.

delvian
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 6:49 pm

I'm sorry you're having to put up with this horrible bullying from your abusive parents. I'm really glad you're talking about it here because it's even worse if you have to suffer in silence. Do you have any supportive person or people you can talk to in real life about this sort of thing?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 12:43 am

delvian wrote:
I'm sorry you're having to put up with this horrible bullying from your abusive parents. I'm really glad you're talking about it here because it's even worse if you have to suffer in silence. Do you have any supportive person or people you can talk to in real life about this sort of thing?

Sadly my dad provoking me all the time is just his way of showing affection.But I am suffering in silence.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 5:14 am

Thanks for your kind support.My mom and dad mean well.