two aspie 10 year olds and the zoo

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 3:25 am

I took my son and his friend to the zoo yesterday. We were making our way around the exhibits the boys were a little pushy, trying to get past a man with a white cain. I pulled the boys up and told them to be a little more careful. My son turns to the man when he realises the man is blind and at the top of his lungs says" oh! sorry blind man!" :oops: Then my sons friend turns around and notices the blind man to and he states at the top of his lungs" Why on earth would that mans family bring a blind man to the zoo? What a waist" ! !! ! 8O Thank goodness the blind man and his family thought the boys were funny. :oops:

Just wanted to share.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 6:57 am

That is REALLY funny! I'm sorry you were embarrassed, but what they said wasn't taken as offense, which is good.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 6:57 am

That is REALLY funny! I'm sorry you were embarrassed, but what they said wasn't taken as offense, which is good.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 8:26 am

While NT's think things but would never say them, aspies (especially aspie kids) sometimes just say things that are on their minds without really meaning any offense. Maybe it would be helpful if you tried to explain to them how this could of been interpreted by the other person. Also try thinking about what to tell people in case something like this happens again.

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 9:26 am

:lol: I am glad the man was understanding.

malya2006
Raven
Raven

09 Jul 2009, 10:05 am

omg I would've died!! ! Thank goodness that man had a good sense of humor, else there would be a big altercation. However, what they said was something everyone else wonders but don't have the guts to say. One time my son was waiting in the waiting room at his therapy sessions, one of the receptionists were very overweight. He said to me.."wow, that's a whole lot of fat." I almost died!! Thank goodness she didn't hear him. I turned around and told him never to say that again because it wasn't nice, it could hurt her feelings, etc. That is the last time I heard him say anything like that, but I cringe every time an overweight person walks by.

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 10:18 am

LOL, I took my 9 yr old jake to Sam's Club last week-end and we usely get two carts one for what I'm buying one for jake to sit in. This time my husband wanted to try and let jake walk and help push the cart. He did great up to the point he started to yell at the top of his lungs "I'm Jake get out of my way!! ! " :oops: Jake will go weeks with out talking most years they claim he never speeks in school. So were just happy when he talks lol luckly noone seemed bother too much by my very rude little boy.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 12:10 pm

I'm glad they were nice strangers :)

My son still has a lot of trouble with the whole tact thing. He usually does pretty well, he is learning the rules on it, but he gets really mad at the world for making him bite his tongue. As he explains, why is it wrong to simply tell the truth? We go round and round and round discussing it; I don't think he'll ever buy it. Thing is, it doesn't really hurt his feelings when people say blunt things to him. He's happy with who he is; he knows he has bad points, but figures they are offset by the good points. So if someone tells him he runs weird, he just agrees with them. And so on. So the whole, "imagine how you might feel" thing is lost on him.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 12:13 pm

CRD wrote:
"I'm Jake get out of my way!! ! "

You should have that printed on T-shirts for him, for the days when he doesn't feel like saying it himself. :rambo: :thumright:

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 2:55 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
I'm glad they were nice strangers :)

My son still has a lot of trouble with the whole tact thing. He usually does pretty well, he is learning the rules on it, but he gets really mad at the world for making him bite his tongue. As he explains, why is it wrong to simply tell the truth? We go round and round and round discussing it; I don't think he'll ever buy it. Thing is, it doesn't really hurt his feelings when people say blunt things to him. He's happy with who he is; he knows he has bad points, but figures they are offset by the good points. So if someone tells him he runs weird, he just agrees with them. And so on. So the whole, "imagine how you might feel" thing is lost on him.

The 'putting yourself in another's shoes' thing doesn't work because other people may not see the tactfulness the way he sees it. The fact is that he's not intending to cause offense. That's why I was trying suggest earlier to try to explain why other people might take offense and also to think of something to say in case someone does take offense the next time round. As for me, I did learn as I got older but I still have lapses though :oops: . As for the OP's story, I can't help but see the funny side of things as well, "The blind man can't see the animals", at least these strangers had a sense of humour :wink: .

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 4:48 pm

I think he would like a t-shirt like that :)

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 9:22 am

At least you didn't have any problems with the animals. Ever since I was young animals of all sort are drawn to me made it awkward when I was 5 and went to a petting zoo.