Constipated aspie teen won't take laxative. What to do?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

pekkla
Toucan
Toucan

09 Aug 2009, 3:07 pm

My 13-year old aspie son is very stubborn. He has constipation but is not impacted. He himself has been complaining about it for weeks. A therapist finally messaged his pediatircian, who had him get an abdominal x-ray. It showed he was constipated but not impacted. That was approx. 3 weeks ago. He is supposed to be using various kinds of products, all over-the-counter, but is resisting them all. I have called his pediatrtician, who won't force him to come to the clinic to have anything done to him. He said it isn't urgent. I have tried to use incentives for him, including buying certain DVD's and taking him to movies. He says OK then backs down when its time to do the stuff. We are talking about Milk of Magnesia, or anal suppositories. What woould you guys do?

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 3:11 pm

Tell him about hemorrhoids? Not trying to be funny.

grain-and-field
Toucan
Toucan

09 Aug 2009, 3:14 pm

Why don´t you just give him a natural laxative, like some kind of fruit. Just google "natural laxative".

And ask him why he won´t take the medicines that you supposedly wants him to take.

I dont see the problem......

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 3:22 pm

The problem behind his refusal may be due to intense food preferences or a need for consistency regarding meals, or possibly just a rejection of smell, taste, or texture of the laxatives. I had impacted bowels as a small child, and had the usual enemas and suppositories to get and keep things moving.

If you can change his diet to include fruit or high-fiber grains/vegetables, that would likely help a lot. If you can find out what the source of his resistance is, so much the better.

Some Aspies respond very quickly to direct orders from an authority figure. If his doctor tells him straight out to take the OTC remedies, perhaps even a daily fiber supplement, he may comply.

Also worth investigating is the source of the constipation. Possibilities include diet, stress, and the other obvious factors.

grain-and-field
Toucan
Toucan

09 Aug 2009, 3:37 pm

"Plums are known for their laxative effect."

[lovely picture of a plum removed by DW_a_mom because it was much too large for most screens and messed the width of all the posts on the page]

Source: Wikipedia.org

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 3:54 pm

A Chitosan supplement can be very helpful. Not only does it bind with excess fats and eliminate them from the body, it keeps stool soft and easily passable. Of course it might be a problem if there's a seafood allergy, as its made from powdered shellfish. Yogurt will help, too. Avoid pharmaceutical laxatives - this is a problem easily solvable by natural means.

Constipation is almost always a dietary issue. Breads, pastas and cheeses are the worst culprits, but anything high in starchy carbohydrates can become too much of a good thing in a hurry. Fruits and vegetables are a better source of fiber. Celery - nature's bottle brush. :wink:

If all else fails, a big ol' cup of coffee often works wonders. :D

09 Aug 2009, 4:37 pm

I would tell him if he wants to get rid of the pain, he is going to gave to take a stool softener or let you put an enema in him so the poop will come out. Also I would tell him he has to drink lots of water and eat food that has fiber in it to help his constipation. I would also tell him I don't want to hear him complaining about the pain if he refuses to do anything about it.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 5:02 pm

Chocolate is a natural laxative.

Senokot works well, too.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

LinnaeusCat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Aug 2009, 6:07 pm

Get some flax seeds (which look and taste like sesame seeds) and mix some into his food everyday until he's "regular". very natural, good tasting laxative and healthy for you too.

INTJ.

MorbidMiss
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2009, 6:46 pm

Coffee or apple juice also work.

Try not talking to him about them being a laxative. Just say, "Here, have some ___" Maybe he is using it as a control issue.

liz2008
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Aug 2009, 7:25 pm

I know your son is just constipated and doesn't have Encopreis but when my son was diagnosed with it, we were told to give him lots of veggies and fruit -- any is good but they especially recommended fruit that began with the letter p -- peaches, plums, pineapple, pears. High-fiber cereals and popcorn were also recommended. We were told to give him magnesium citrate and mineral oil to drink. You can get them at the grocery store. The mag citrate was a little too sour for him and he eventually refused that but for some reason, he actually liked the mineral oil mixed with orange soda or Coke -- nothing like oily Coke! Do they still make chocolate flavored Exlax? If I remember right, it looks like a regular chocolate bar and he might take that if he doesn't realize what it is.
Good luck! It can be so frustrating when they refuse to do the things that will help them.

TheDuck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2009, 7:40 pm

apple cider (nonalcoholic) should help , regular apple juice will make it worst

Lyriel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2009, 7:41 pm

I'm gonna go with one of Aoi's suggestions. Have his doctor talk to him, give him an idea of the consequences of not taking his laxatives and remaining in his constipated state. My family had to do the same with me when I came down with a severe kidney infection when I was sixteen - I was very reluctant to continue my medications after it made me nauseous, but a reminder by my doctor that I could go into kidney failure if I didn't take my antibiotics whipped me into shape.

pekkla
Toucan
Toucan

09 Aug 2009, 8:03 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback. My son is like a Jekyl-Hyde person--he tells the pediatrician he wants to take the laxatives. He actually says he WANTS to do it. Then, when he's home--not so much. He has food preferences that are only in the brown and white foods, carbos and breads. Doesn't like fruit and vegetables. Maybe I will bribe him with incentives.

MorbidMiss
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2009, 8:23 pm

If he will drink juice give him lots of it. I have never heard of apple juice making someone stopped up. Quite the opposite, we use it (diluted) when our babies seem backed up. However, practically any juice will work if there is enough of it. And lots of water.

Last edited by MorbidMiss on 10 Aug 2009, 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 10:29 pm

I know this is kind of sneaky but, spike his food or drinks with it....He won't notice a thing.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!