Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 10:02 am

My son has been begging for a dog for the last 3 years. We finally got one. She's not a specially trained therapy dog, just a labrador retriever puppy. Since bringing her home, my son has forgotten to wash his hands. LOL, which is a good thing, because he is an excessive handwasher. My son is much less anxious and he's moving through the house on his own. Previously, he was too anxious to go from room to room unless someone was right there with him. He enjoys feeding the puppy and looking after her. He doesn't consider her scary or dirty. So far, so good :)

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 12:11 pm

:D

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 12:27 pm

:D Gratz on the new furry baby.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 3:12 pm

Well done, I would have chosen a smaller breed however.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 8:48 pm

we got an Australian Shepherd when my son was five -- it turned out to be the best idea we ever had. I swear that dog has helped him develop social skills!

Kudos to you for getting the puppy! Glad that it's working out so well!

Eekee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2009, 10:45 pm

Awww. I'm looking forward to being able to get a dog for my kids. My 7 year old would be great with a dog, but my almost 4 year old is still too impulsive and he's pretty hard on one of our cats to be able to get a dog.

calebsmom
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Aug 2009, 2:29 pm

We had adopted a dog. A 5yr old Boxer. She has done wonders for my son. She is the most gentle and loving dog which makes it easier for our son. We adopted her in April this year and at first my son would pet her tight flat handed for a month. Then I started noticing him petting her. Actually petting her like I do. He has never done this before. My son is 13 and was just diagnosed in May with AS. It explains alot and with his sensory issues this has been GREAT for some of these issues. Its a wonderful idea for parents to use pets to help with this. I wish I would have thought of it long ago! :D

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 2:58 pm

It's good that your son is feeling calmer with the dog around. I hope the companionship will continue to do him good.