ASD young children videos and more

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 7:47 pm

[url=https://www.wellchildlens.com/video_room/results/see-the-signs/compare/url]

The link shows several behaviors in ASD/autism contrasting young non-asd children through videos "in context" (quotes from website). I thought the behavior videos were insightful and I was floored, though age only goes up to 36 months.
The site also explains specifically: what each video is about- along with interviews from "experts, parents, and therapists" if anyone is interested. I'm not a parent.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 7:18 pm

It was all very subtle. I saw one where the boy didn't want to hug his mother so he ran instead. I just thought "maybe he doesn't want a hug." I didn't like them either as a kid unless it was done with my consent and I saw one where the boy stepped on something and his dad picks him up and he tries to get away. I just thought "maybe he doesn't want to be held and he wants to get back to what he was doing without being interrupted" what kid doesn't do that? I saw one video of the boy sitting with a therapist and he doesn't mimic gestures and facial expressions the woman shows him and asks him to do it but he smiled a little bit and laughed. I also saw one where boy pulls his mother and pushes his father to a spot and plays with a toy and looks at one of his parents and as a toddler I used to pull on my parents and push them and I had my own way of non verbal communication and would make grunting sounds and hit on cupboards for attention or lean on the fridge and do fake cries when I was hungry. I did pointed and make a sound and I saw one autistic boy point in the gym but apparently there is a right way to point. :?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 3:12 am

"All very subtle"?
To me, some were more obvious than others: like the 8 year old boy not really interacting with the teacher or speaking.

In pre-k, children frequently blamed me for bad behavior they committed, because I didn't have enough words to say what happened or who did it :( One day I came home with my face all scratched up- so my mom put me in another school.
I would play repetitively with just stacking blocks or something similar, for hours and hours. By age 6, I was still largely uninterested (in most people/kids), preferred playing by myself almost exclusively, including elementary school. In fifth grade, I asked myself, "Do other kids and maybe adults have feelings? ...Nah."
I was pretty much oblivious socially...