Recommended Reading on AS/Parenting

Page 1 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 2:57 pm

This isn't an AS book, but it really struck home for me with what I've noticed in public education as my son has gone through school:

The Trouble With Boys by Peg Tyre

Not every suggestion works for our kids (like more recess, when that is often the most difficult part of the day), but the discussion on how difficult the organization and writing skills have become is very, very relevant. It kind of helps focus what is an IEP item v. what you might try to change on a broader level at a school.

thebob42
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Nov 2009, 10:59 am

Like Color to the Blind by Donna Williams

One of the few auto biographies I've seen about life with autism (well, at least in the limited selection of the public library here). It's been awhile since I've read Tony Attwood's complete guide but I see other people beat me to include that one on the list. I'll have to reread it because the only thing out of that book that nagged at me was the Theory Of Mind section, I vaguely remember why but I'm thinking it's something to do with empathy.

IMForeman
Raven
Raven

20 Nov 2009, 12:02 pm

thebob42 wrote:
Like Color to the Blind by Donna Williams

One of the few auto biographies I've seen about life with autism (well, at least in the limited selection of the public library here). It's been awhile since I've read Tony Attwood's complete guide but I see other people beat me to include that one on the list. I'll have to reread it because the only thing out of that book that nagged at me was the Theory Of Mind section, I vaguely remember why but I'm thinking it's something to do with empathy.

I'm reading it at the moment and he says we don't lack empathy in the sense that we don't care about others, but we do have problems seeing things from other points of view. I think lol

I'm enjoying it. Something I noticed is he says hand flapping typically disappears around 9 years of age in aspies, but that puzzles me because I still do it in private.

SuzHansen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jan 2010, 4:43 pm

This is a great book, written by a 13 year old boy with Aspergers. It gives a good insite to at least one boy's experience. One thing that I have learned is that all Aspergers kids are different and like and do different things. It was good to understand more of what my son might think about the world.

SuzHansen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jan 2010, 4:48 pm

This is book was a great read about an Aspergers man who was only diagnosed later in his 40s. He lived through the 50s and 60s as an undiagnosed child, and has some amazing insites about his own experiences.

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 10:35 pm

I just remembered this book and how helpful it was:

How to Be a Friend: A Guide to Making Friends and Keeping Them by Laura Krasny Brown and Marc Brown (of the Arthur books)

It is a picture book. We got it for my sons when they were about 5, and read it to them a zillion times. It gives good, practical, kid friendly advice about making friends, how to tell if someone is your friend etc. We found it really helpful for teaching basic social skills.

MorbidMiss
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jan 2010, 8:28 pm

I am finding "Parenting a Child With Asperger Syndrome: 200 Tips and Strategies" by Brenda Boyd to be the most helpful out of anything that I have read so far. She does not try to paint AS with rosey tones, she is honest while staying positive. Her attitude makes me feel less "bad" and more "normal" for being so frustrated at times.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 8:33 pm

another fiction book from the perspective of someone autistic:
Anything But Typical

Detren
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jan 2010, 9:26 pm

Someone from wrong planet actually recommended this one to me and I am thoroughly enjoying it. It is easy to read and understand and has real life stories to show how things work. Sorry whoever recommended it to me, I am horrible with remembering names (Come forward if you want the credit for it).

Building Bridges through sensory integration by Paula Aquilla, Shirley Sutton, & Ellen Yac

Book title is a link if you want to see the cover.

RSDavis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jan 2010, 1:48 pm

SuzHansen wrote:
This is book was a great read about an Aspergers man who was only diagnosed later in his 40s. He lived through the 50s and 60s as an undiagnosed child, and has some amazing insites about his own experiences.

That's the first book I read about AS. Fascinating man, fascinating life, and the brother of the brilliant Augusten Burroughs.

MomAtSchool
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jan 2010, 10:05 am

"Socially Curious and Curiously Social: A Social Thinking Guidebook for Teens & Young Adults with Asperger’s, ADHD, PDD-NOS, NVLD, or other Murky Undiagnosed Social Learning Issues" written by Michelle Garcia Winner and Pamela Crooke

We have this one in our resource room for students, and it is dogeared from my Autism and Asperger's students borrowing it. It is funny and down to earth, written in Anime style. :study:

herbalmistress
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Feb 2010, 9:04 am

Just curious, has anyone here read the book "Kids in the Syndrome Mix of ADHD, LD, Asperger's, Tourette's, Bipolar, and more!" It was my first library hold ready and i just started reading it yesterday. Does anyone who's read it have any opinions about it? It seems to be a good book so far but i'm only in the 2nd chapter. The main idea of the book seems to be that a lot of these syndromes are likely to present in the same individuals, and can exacerbate and mimic one another. So it's a book geared toward teaching and parenting children who could be anywhere in "the syndrome mix". I put it on hold because i wasn't sure at the time if my son has AS or ADHD or what, so i thought reading material covering a few different problems could be a good start.

Peace. :heart:

SAHM to 3 home schooled boys, ages 11 undiagnosed AS, almost 9 NT, and 4 NT. We also share our home with 13 companion animals including 5 cats, 2 dogs, 3 ferrets, 2 aquatic turtles, and 1 chinese water dragon :)

herbalmistress

09 Feb 2010, 9:14 am

MomAtSchool wrote:
"Socially Curious and Curiously Social: A Social Thinking Guidebook for Teens & Young Adults with Asperger’s, ADHD, PDD-NOS, NVLD, or other Murky Undiagnosed Social Learning Issues" written by Michelle Garcia Winner and Pamela Crooke

We have this one in our resource room for students, and it is dogeared from my Autism and Asperger's students borrowing it. It is funny and down to earth, written in Anime style. :study:

This book seems to be OFP. I can only find it used, expensively at amazon.com and Barnes and Noble doesn't have it at all. I'm going to check e-bay next. Does anyone know where else i could get a copy from?

Peace. :heart:

SAHM to 3 home schooled boys, ages 11 undiagnosed AS, almost 9 NT, and 4 NT. We also share our home with 13 companion animals including 5 cats, 2 dogs, 3 ferrets, 2 aquatic turtles, and 1 chinese water dragon :)

AbuNoor
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Feb 2010, 5:14 pm

You are a Social Detective by Michelle Garcia Winner and Pamela Crooke has been a great help to me in coming up with ways to communicate with my first-grader daughter about what sorts of behaviors are "expected" and which are not.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 3:22 pm

This was posted by makelifehappen in a thread titled:

Autism Physicians Handbook

Quote:
Best read I have had in a while...

http://www.autismcanada.org/pdfs/PhysicianHandbook.pdf

Hope this helps someone.

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 3:32 pm

My favorite nonfiction book is <i>A Parents Guide to Asperger Syndrome and High Functioning Autism.</i> When I first starting suspecting my son was autistic, I did a lot of googling and almost everything I found then was not only terrifying but didn't seem at all like my son. And yet somehow I could not stop thinking autism was the answer.

This was the first book that talked about life as I knew it. I recommended it to everyone I knew who might want to understand my son better and my mother actually apologized to me after reading it, for not having "gotten it" before.