Obsessive empathy for inanimate objects

Page 2 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

parts
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2006, 9:34 pm

Sophist wrote:
Yes, I frequently have and do assign living emotion and feelings to inanimate objects. I am very fond of many inanimate things and feel sorry for those people who can't connect to objects quite like we autties. Going shopping for "things" is far more emotionally rewarding than for most. It's like buying friends. :)

Yes thats about how I feel about things and like to go on "rescue" trips to estate sales and flea markets to buy stuff to fix I know they feel better after a good cleaning and ajustment a lot of my favorite things have been gotten this way :D

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2006, 7:28 am

parts, that is how I found most of my door closers and other hardware. from all the years of garage and yard sale-ing. after that it was people just giving me the old or used hardware. my face just lights up with joy when someone does that. you won't believe this, the most I ever spent on door hardware, 1.75 (yes a doller 75 cents US) and that was for 2 storm door ones! since I dont have many friends they are I guess a substitute for the lack of human friends in real life. I don't go out in public with them because I don't need somoene stealing the closers or making fun of me. the only people that know about me and my closers was the teachers I had for last 2 months of school in 2002, my parents, and whoever I feel comfortable telling. I feel soo attached to them they are always in my bedroom either in bed or under it. I hate it when they fall because I don't need any hydraulic oil leaks. I cannot stand the smell of that type of oil. the scent of it makes me loose appitite and I almost fainted once when in midde school because of an odor of a closer leaking oil. I check them about 2 times a day to make sure im not getting any odors or oil leaking from them.

flea
Raven
Raven

01 May 2006, 9:24 am

my mom is cleaning out the closets right now, and i'm the only one hanging on to old clothes beacuse i feel like if i give them to the salvation army, they'll feel sad. i also can't go to that store to drop things off, beacuse i always see the one sad looking stuffed animal that i want ot take home.
i have a bear named bobby i've had for 18 years. i talk to him all the time.
i never realized other people were like this.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2006, 10:18 am

I apply emotions to inanimate objects all the time :D.

Cici
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 May 2006, 11:01 am

We bought a much-needed new refrigerator. A friend wanted to buy the old one. I wasn't too surprised when my daughter said that she would miss the old fridge and didn't want us to sell it. :( When the guy came to pick it up, she hugged it, and wouldn't let go. We had to physically hold her so that our friend could take this old refrigerator! She cried awhile, and then settled into a pout, saying that this was the worst day of her life. :evil:

Sabe más el diablo por ser viejo que por ser diablo.

drummer_girl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2006, 6:35 pm

what i dont understand is why my mum and dad never had a problem with me cuddlin and kissing and loving a stuffed rabbit but when it comes to doin the exact same thing to one of my drums they tell me that i need to grow up and that im not normal

Iammeandnooneelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2006, 7:11 am

Yeh, my stuffed toys have life-stories too, they even have personalitys.
Talking to myself in my bedroom one day I didn't achive what I was after. (don't ask me what, I've forgotten now) I turned around and talked to my stuffed toys. That worked. I never did grow out of it.

ion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 May 2006, 8:29 am

I've always anthropomorphed stuff.
However, I'm mostly angry at them because they're in the way, trip me, poke me, etc.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2006, 2:10 pm

I know inanimate objects can think. How else, for example, would they know just the right moment to break? :lol:

Aeriel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 May 2006, 9:22 am

Ed, you should seek out a book called The Secret Life of Inanimate Objects by Lyall Watson. You'd love it! Some inanimate objects, apparently, do know just when to break...

On the thread topic, yeah, I ascribe emotions to objects all the time. I think my rock collection is 'happier' after I wash and cleanse the rocks; I've bought things because I felt sorry for them, and feel badly for things that aren't used or worn on a regular basis.

mintiness
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2006, 3:07 pm

The more I read stuff here, the more I realize I'm SUCH an Aspie, lol. I, too, did this all through my childhood and yeah, I still do it today. :lol:

My youngest does it, and will even cry if her stuffies fall on the floor (she has at least 20 of them). She's my huggy-lovey-sensitive baby. :D And I love her for it.

blue41331
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 May 2006, 7:51 pm

My daugther, diagnoses with ASP. attaches emotional responses to stuffed animals. I would check with a child pscyiatrist RE: OCD questions you may have. It's worth looking into.

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2006, 11:38 am

EEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKK.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2006, 11:51 pm

I've recently bought myself a Little Red Friend on Canada Day.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2006, 6:02 am

great cockney, how many routies do u have now???

i bet you were soooooo happy and thought you were dreaming when you found it.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2006, 6:03 am

Nerddette wrote:
My 12yo son, David, has Aspergers. He also has OCD tendencies (like bookmarking every webpage exactly 6 times and taking a certain number of steps when he walks).

He told me last night that he feels emotion for inanimate objects. Some examples he gave include:

* If he drops a food wrapper he thinks the wrapper will be upset if he doesn't put it in the bin.

* If a choc chip falls off his biscuit then he will put it back with it's "friends".

* He sometimes feels sorry for food when he eats it.

* He is obsessive about his stuffed animals - if they fall off the bed he apologises to them.

I've never noticed these things (except the last one, which I just thought was sweet) and as far as I know none of these things has impacted on his daily life (he certainly eats enough food!).

Do you think these are Aspergers traits, or OCD traits?

Do you think they could cause concern in the future?

Has anyone else had their Aspie do similar things?

Nerddette

I've been like that all my life. For as longa s I can remember. I won't feel sorry for a person. But I wasted 25 dollars on a toy because i thought it looked sad in the shop. (I was about 7 then) I often buy things like cushions or plants because I think they look sad in the shop. (to this day)

I feel sorry for chairs, houses, letterboxes (not really anymore though) or several objects. I feel sorry for plants the most. (but they are alive so I don't know if they count).

I don't know if this is directly related to AS, but I do think it is directly related to how our brains are wired, although many aspies might not be like this.