Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself...

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

JohnJamesMom
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Apr 2010, 10:13 am

I have a 3 year old son (and a 9 month old son too!). Our 3 year old was diagnosed mild pdd-nos last year. He didn't have much language at the time. A few short phrases, some echolalia...

It is now a year later and we are going for another appointment to see how he is doing. I have to say, he has come very far. His language is lightyears ahead of where it was. He can have little conversations with us although they usually end after a few back and forth sentences...

I guess his main issue is social stuff. He isn't too social with other kids his age aside from his little cousins (no problem there!). He is great with adults, great eye contact etc...

I was a wreck over autism for a while but have decided it'll all be ok...I love my son more than life itself. He is funny, smart and just a really great personality. I really don't know what the future holds..but i do have a lot of faith that he'll be happy in whatever he does.

Would love to chat on this board if its ok and will update after his neuro eval on the 18th! I am anxious to see what they think. Not that i think he is no longer on the spectrum, he just has really made so much improvement...

cmate
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Apr 2010, 12:45 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet, lots of good people here.

Glad you are making progress!

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 1:26 pm

I always liked adults better than kids too. It excites me that now my hair is turning white.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 2:27 pm

My son sounds a lot like yours. He was diagnosed as PDD-NOS at 2.5 years old. He is now almost 5. He has made big strides in many areas, but still struggles with the social stuff. He too, loves adults. I think he would be content if he was never around another child period. He is an only child too, so that makes it a little tougher.

Does your son have any "special Interests"? I mean does he fixate on any one topic more than others? My son is completely into car makes and models. He started into this around 2.5 yrs old, and it has never stopped!

Anyway, welcome to Wrong Planet. I think you will find a lot of support here. I am glad to hear that you are accepting it more now. I think all of us go through a different road, but at some point you have to reach the acceptance stage and just keep loving your child no matter what!

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 3:45 pm

JohnJamesMom wrote:
I was a wreck over autism for a while but have decided it'll all be ok...I love my son more than life itself. He is funny, smart and just a really great personality. I really don't know what the future holds..but i do have a lot of faith that he'll be happy in whatever he does.

Just remember, he's just as funny and smart and has just as great a personality as before. A diagnosis doesn't change who he is.